• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defining the Contours of Open Carry in Wisconsin

apjonas

imported post

pkbites and I had an exchange in another forum that I would like to present for comment. I challenged anyone to provide evidence of an instance where a person was cited/arrested/etc. for disorderly conduct or anything else simply for openly carrying. While pkbites has some recollection of such an incident, he was not directly involved and thus could not provide any specifics. So I repeat the challenge here. A lot of folks have heard stories or are sure about the issue -- but nobody can provide any proof that it has happened - even once. All I am looking for is a court record, a newspaper article or other evidence from a reasonably authoritative and independent source. Any such arrest would be problematic and actionable. Consider:

An old lady sees a man openly carrying on her street. She is very frightened because her sister was once attacked by a man openly carrying. She calls 911 and police are dispatched. After a short investigation, the man openly carrying is found to have no bad intentions and is simply walking to his home. Nonetheless, he is arrested for disorderly conduct because the old lady was scared to see a man openly carrying on her street.

Is this reasonable?

Well substitute the phrase "a dreadlocked black man with tatoos" for a "man openly carrying" and see how silly it is to use another person's irrational fears as a basis for a disorderly conduct charge. An arrest in either case is equally objectionable.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Good post - if anybody ever has a cite or link to a court ruling, AG Opinion, or news article related to Ope Carry, post it to this forem & send it to Mike or John ASAP.

We want the truth - remember, it's the anti who can't handle the truth!

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have spent many hours researching Wisconsin court cases involving disorderly conduct convictions for carrying a visible weapon. I researched back to 1996. That was the first year the Wis court web site was being populated. I could find only one case that resulted in a conviction and involved a firearm. The case was one in which a man was holding a firearm to the head of his girlfriend. Now get this. He was charged with disorderly conduct not because he held the gun to his girlfriend's head. He was charged with disorderly conduct for swearing at the aressting officers.

If anyone can find another case that resulted in a disorderly conduct conviction because of peacefully carrying an exposed firearm be sure to let me know. I do not want to be one of those accused of spreading false rumors.

tarzan1888

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Well, kiddies I'm gone. OCDO has finally reached PDO condition. The newest technique is for a moderator to prevent comment on, corrections to, or other response to demonstrably false and silly claims. If the members want this board to be a mutual admiration society (or more crudely, a circle jerk) so be it. At the beginning, I had much hope for this endeavor but it seems (any psychologist chime in) that there is always a slow, steady migration to group think and control by the most vocal posters. Thus, once it has been established that the correct position (also know as the "party line") is A, anybody who suggests B, or heaven forfend, C-Z is pounced upon. Name calling and insults become the order of the day rather than a rational, logical and calm discussion of the issues. Sometimes people throw out communication stopping words (a la "Nazi") because they have no counterargument. This type of "winning" may be comforting to some but it simply undermines the effort towards (what I thought was) a common goal. People at LCAV, TBC, etc. must laugh their posteriors off when they read (and they do) some of the posts here. With such people as opponents they must be encouraged. I sometimes think that the posters who engage in undermining tactics are really moles. Would that be paranoid? I sincerely hope that OCDO can pull out of its death spiral. I won't offer suggestions because they will be attacked by those who see themselves in my words (then again some may be so oblivious to their actions that they think I'm talking about the "other guy.") Apologies for any errors here. I don't want to take the time to edit. I will read posts from time to time to see if the atmosphere has changed but I have little hope. Good luck to all.

Andrew Percival Jonas

My My MY your back :celebrate

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
apjonas wrote:
Well, kiddies I'm gone. OCDO has finally reached PDO condition. The newest technique is for a moderator to prevent comment on, corrections to, or other response to demonstrably false and silly claims. If the members want this board to be a mutual admiration society (or more crudely, a circle jerk) so be it. At the beginning, I had much hope for this endeavor but it seems (any psychologist chime in) that there is always a slow, steady migration to group think and control by the most vocal posters. Thus, once it has been established that the correct position (also know as the "party line") is A, anybody who suggests B, or heaven forfend, C-Z is pounced upon. Name calling and insults become the order of the day rather than a rational, logical and calm discussion of the issues. Sometimes people throw out communication stopping words (a la "Nazi") because they have no counterargument. This type of "winning" may be comforting to some but it simply undermines the effort towards (what I thought was) a common goal. People at LCAV, TBC, etc. must laugh their posteriors off when they read (and they do) some of the posts here. With such people as opponents they must be encouraged. I sometimes think that the posters who engage in undermining tactics are really moles. Would that be paranoid? I sincerely hope that OCDO can pull out of its death spiral. I won't offer suggestions because they will be attacked by those who see themselves in my words (then again some may be so oblivious to their actions that they think I'm talking about the "other guy.") Apologies for any errors here. I don't want to take the time to edit. I will read posts from time to time to see if the atmosphere has changed but I have little hope. Good luck to all.

Andrew Percival Jonas

Tarzan, why did you post this same thing on so many threads? :?

tarzan1888

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
apjonas wrote:

Andrew Percival Jonas

Tarzan, why did you post this same thing on so many threads? :?

That is a good Question. I wish I had a good answer to go along with it.

I guess the reason is that I found this forum and immediately saw its intrinsic worth and value and shortly there after he trashed it as he left. It bothered me then and when he came back like nothing had happened it bothered me again.

I am admittedly no longer a juvenile and guess I should mend my ways. And one of these days I will.

Attachments

• dancinguy[1].gif
    dancinguy[1].gif
    60.1 KB · Views: 603