• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crabtree Falls Open Carry?

mmike87

imported post

Is it OK to OC at Crabtree Falls in Nelson County? Not sure if that's a state or federal park. It's NOT a state park - but may be part of the national forest or something?

hirundo82

imported post

Are you sure? I thought that the policy only applied to areas administered by the Virginia parks department, while the National Forest is obviously administered by the Forest Service. The prohibition on open carry is only a departmental policy, not a law as far as I know.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I abridged the Va code to the relevant portions. You can possess a loaded concealed handgun if you have a permit, everything else must be unloaded and cased unless you are are at a range or are hunting.

4VAC15-40-60. Hunting with dogs or possession of weapons in certain locations during closed season.
A. Department-owned lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow or a gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.
B. Department-owned lands east of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow or gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in the counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl or migratory gamebirds on these lands.
F. It shall be unlawful to possess or transport a loaded gun in or on any vehicle at any time on national forest lands or department-owned lands.
G. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their authorized and official duties, nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in §18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.