• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When to pull

Bolt06

imported post

I have a short scenario of what I think i would pull and use my weapon. but let me know if there would be wrong in this.

I understand it that if harm is coming to you or another citizen you can pull.

but for my scenario. you walk out of a bookstore and head down the street.. you notice that there is no one around . for that time of day it seems odd to you but you continue on down the street. as you round the corner of the buildingto head down the side street next to the store, what you see shocks you. I girl you guess to be 12-14 years old screaming "help,help I am being raped!" her assailant is about 23+ yrs old and already has his pants down and forcing (you get the idea). what do you do ..

since I have a sister of my own around that agemy first reaction is to put 2-3 rounds down range .. but I want your opinion as to the understanding of the law.. I see that as a prime example of protecting someone else.

(the scenario is not real.. it is a story that was told to me during a training session for a different purpose but I began to think about it as to my reaction.)

molonlabetn

imported post

In the scenario you describe, my reaction would depend alot on whether or not the perpetrator was armed... If he was holding his victim down by manual force only, I would first attempt to disrupt his heinous deed by yelling at him and if warranted (assuming he wasn't twice my size), subdue him with physical force... If the perp was armed, and there were a chance that escalating the situation could cause the perp to further harm the victim, then I would draw and fire without warning.

I would not attempt to escalate the situation without having a clear understanding of who is the victim and who is the perp, and what they might be capable of. As soon as the perp becomes aware of me, I will be forced to react to whatever action he takes... So, there's no cut-and-dry answer. I only hope to do the right thing when the time comes.

Thinking about how we'd react, beforehand, is an important part of preparation.

molonlabetn

Bolt06

imported post

I do thank you for your answer and you do make a very good point about things that I haven't thought about. I just want to play out different ideas so that when if ever faced with them I don't freeze up and end up explaining why i was there and was useless.

but you are right about the situation escalating .. and responding with similar force and not jumping right to lethal. at first thought the perp wouldn't be armed but I am always ready (or expecting) there weapon to come at any time. never dropping my guard..

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
I have a short scenario of what I think i would pull and use my weapon. but let me know if there would be wrong in this.

I understand it that if harm is coming to you or another citizen you can pull.

but for my scenario. you walk out of a bookstore and head down the street.. you notice that there is no one around . for that time of day it seems odd to you but you continue on down the street. as you round the corner of the buildingto head down the side street next to the store, what you see shocks you. I girl you guess to be 12-14 years old screaming "help,help I am being raped!" her assailant is about 23+ yrs old and already has his pants down and forcing (you get the idea). what do you do ..
Well. The first thing I should say is that, at least in VA, rape IS considered serious bodily harm and thus, deadly force may be legally used to prevent this serious bodily harm.

Second, as far as how I would react. I would present my firearm and demand that the attacker step away from the victim.

If he were to produce a weapon at any point or continue his attack, then I would escalate my actions in whatever manner was appropriate given the field of fire and the circumstances of the moment.

GlockMan

imported post

I agree with jpierce, usually just showing the weapon and your willingness to use it is sufficient enough to end the situation.

And, like jpierce said, if attacker presents a deadly weapon...BLAMMO.

hirundo82

imported post

I would use deadly force if necessary, as Texas law authorizes use of deadly force to prevent the commision of rape of a third person.

Deadly force would not be my first choice. If there was not a weapon evident, I would go hand-to-hand if I think it is possible, or use pepper spray. I do not want to shoot someone unless it is the only option.

If the perpetrator had a weapon or if I did not think it could be stopped non-forcefully without the victim being badly injured, I would draw, and fire if necessary.

GlockMan

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
I would use deadly force if necessary, as Texas law authorizes use of deadly force to prevent the commision of rape of a third person.

Deadly force would not be my first choice. If there was not a weapon evident, I would go hand-to-hand if I think it is possible, or use pepper spray. I do not want to shoot someone unless it is the only option.

If the perpetrator had a weapon or if I did not think it could be stopped non-forcefully without the victim being badly injured, I would draw, and fire if necessary.

Just be careful if you're carrying if you decide to go hand-to-hand. Make sure you have GOOD training in that so the perp doesn't take your gun away from you during the tussel.

hirundo82

imported post

I'm very aware of that. I would have to be very certain before I tried it. It is just always in consideration in the continuum of force, as are all the options I have. But I'm not going to risk my life to avoid shooting some scumbag.

Opie

imported post

An interesting scenario, and one to ponder in order to be prepared....

I think that I'd verbally direct the attacker to back off and quickly go to the firearm if he did not. At that point he would be forced to choose between complying or escalating the situation.

I would avoid a hand-to-hand scuffle at all costs if I were carrying a firearm, for fear of losing it to the attacker. This might include retreating some if necessary to defuse the situation, assuming the violent act had stopped. I would allow the attacker to flee if he chose to. My primary concern would be acting appropriately in order to protect the child and myself rather than focusing on apprehending the attacker.

Thanks for the mental exercise. It is important to run through these things ahead of time so that you know how to react if necessary, and it isinformative to hear other people's opinions. Keep them coming! -Opie