Thread: Don't chase naked people in Michigan

Post imported post

From Fox News:

Naked Suitor Threatened at Gunpoint in Michigan Neighborhood

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,199610,00.html

The short version: A man trying to convince his girlfriend to marry him streaked across the street. A passerby noticed the naked man in the bushes outside a house, ordered him out at gunpoint, and apparently fired a round when the naked man attempted to flee. The passerby successfully held the streaker at gunpoint until the police arrived, who then arrested the passerby and did not charge the streaker.

It's hard to fault the passerby for trying to stop what most people would consider a peeping tom (or worse)! Possibly he shouldn't have fired when the streaker attempted to flee. -Opie

Post imported post

It was pretty stupid to shoot at the naked guy... COME ON! How much more obviously unarmed can somebody get?!

Assuming that there is nothing else to the story, I hope they throw the book at the guy who discharged his firearm... That was simply irresponsible. It's people like that who's actionsgive ammunition to those who accuse all gun-owners of being trigger-happy lunatics.

molonlabetn

Post imported post

The shooter is an idiot. One needs to be 100% sure of a situation before pulling a gun and the trigger. heck the 'streaker' could have just been the victim of a robbery or rape or something, who knows, you can't just shoot the guy. damn!!

That guy would have killed a lot people in the 70's with that mindset.....:shock:
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

It really doesn't matter what he was (not) wearing. If the individual was fleeing there was no justification for using deadly force.

molonlabetn wrote:
    It was pretty stupid to shoot at the naked guy... COME ON! How much more obviously unarmed can somebody get?!

Assuming that there is nothing else to the story, I hope they throw the book at the guy who discharged his firearm... That was simply irresponsible. It's people like that who's actionsgive ammunition to those who accuse all gun-owners of being trigger-happy lunatics.

molonlabetn

Post imported post

If he's naked and running away from me, heck even if hes not naked and just running away from me not only am I not going to shoot, I'm not even going to chase him.:?

Post imported post

whiskeypapa wrote:
    If he's naked and running away from me, heck even if hes not naked and just running away from me not only am I not going to shoot, I'm not even going to chase him.:?
    I with you, whiskeypapa. Once he's running away, it's obvious any immediate danger he might have posed is abated. What an idiot this guy is for firing! This plays into anti-gunners' hands when they say things equating carrying a firearem to "the wild west."

Post imported post

I tell you what! GlockEm, the only wildwest I want to be equated with are John Wayne Movies.

Post imported post

Going by the reports only, the man who shot at the naked man should be charged. I can see how he may have thought he was pursuing a rapist. But if the guy was running away the danger was over and deadly force seem extreme to say the least. Shooting like this give the anti-gun lobbyist way too much ammo (no pun intended) against the 2nd amendment. I could not imagine how I would have felt had I killed someone who was just participating in a dare. Not a smart dare, but still generally harmless.

Post imported post

I found an article today with more information about the man with the gun. When the police arrested him, he said that he was an Army drill sargeant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ct/20060616/...n5xhXaPzBvzwcF

"The alleged gunman does not appear to be in the Army and also has no permit to carry his .40-caliber gun, Sheikh said. Police said there was no explanation as to why he was armed and why he claimed to be a drill sergeant. He was arrested and held at the county jail on charges of aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon."

Post imported post

Aw crap. Here we go again with the "everyone with a gun is crazy" reports.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Opie wrote:
    I found an article today with more information about the man with the gun. When the police arrested him, he said that he was an Army drill sargeant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ct/20060616/...n5xhXaPzBvzwcF

"The alleged gunman does not appear to be in the Army and also has no permit to carry his .40-caliber gun, Sheikh said. Police said there was no explanation as to why he was armed and why he claimed to be a drill sergeant. He was arrested and held at the county jail on charges of aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon."
    But why didn't they charge the naked guy with anything?

Maybe they felt the embarrassment was enough punishment.

Post imported post

"But officer...I felt threatened. He was brandishing a piss-tol."

In all seriousness, the passerby should be punished accordingly. There was no sense in discharging his weapon. Unless we missed something, the passerby was obviously not in danger.

Just because the only tool you have is a hammer doesn't make every thing a nail.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

So the naked guy, who was 'open carrying' was not arrested, but the armed guy, who was carrying w/o a permit (is one required in MI?) open/concealed, was arrested - for an illegal discharge?
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by panic215 View Post
    "But officer...I felt threatened. He was brandishing a piss-tol."

In all seriousness, the passerby should be punished accordingly. There was no sense in discharging his weapon. Unless we missed something, the passerby was obviously not in danger.
    Oh, the passerby was in danger of the streaker going to wee wee all the way home.
    Last edited by color of law; 03-05-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    It's hard to fault the passerby for trying to stop what most people would consider a peeping tom (or worse)!
    Is it, really?

I'm trying really hard to imagine what act of aggression is possibly constituted by being naked in a bush.

Edit: Thanks for making me necropost, guys.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-06-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Is it, really?

I'm trying really hard to imagine what act of aggression is possibly constituted by being naked in a bush.

I can't imagine any, unless one's delicate sensibilities being assaulted qualifies.

Hell, so far as I am concerned, people should be allowed to OC, whilst naked of anything other than a proper belt and holster.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Is it, really?

I'm trying hard to find out if his GF was impressed....or not. Sounds like a screenplay for Love American Style (red, white, and blu-u-u-u)
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 03-09-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Just because the only tool you have is a hammer doesn't make every thing a nail.

I just gotta agree with you here,
    A gun aint a hammer,,, and all the problems aint a nail!

Shootin naked people aut to be again the law,,, aint their one?
    Did he have salt in that shotgun?
    See then itd be OK...

Over all,,, we all know,,, if the guy is running away,,, You really shouldnt shoot him in the back!

Im not sure their is a law against that, But

That style of defense has been "frowned" on since,,,, FOREVER!!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

This guy shouldn't have drawn his weapon much less shoot at someone. Sounds to me like someone was trying to play cops and robbers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    <snip>

Over all,,, we all know,,, if the guy is running away,,, You really shouldnt shoot him in the back!

Im not sure their is a law against that, But

That style of defense has been "frowned" on since,,,, FOREVER!!!!
    Well, then the "If you don't clear outta here I'm gunna put some rock salt up your butt." threat would not work too well if the dude ain't running away.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare