• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton WalMart- A Semi-Friendly Business

Got Sig?

imported post

alexander hamilton wrote:
yeah, ill give you that...:cool:

mine has the gray frame so it almost looks likea toy to some folks.
Not knocking H&Ks :). I carry a SIG P229, but I have an H&K Mk23 that I love (also have a suppressor for it), but is too big to carry on a daily basis.

alexander hamilton

imported post

UPDATE:

i oc'ed today at the hampton walmart. went straight to what used to be the guns and ammo area(now its everything but guns). grabbed some patches, hoppes no. 9, and an 8mm bronze brush and headed for the little sporting goods checkout. of all people the head of sporting goods(or at least the senior man at the moment) asked if i was an officer. i thought maybe he was one of those folks just casually wondering if thats why i carry so i responded, "no sir". he said something to the effect of, "and they let you in with that thing?". i said yes and tried to educate him on the law and walmart company policy as politely and nonthreateningly as possible. indeed, i kept a smile on my face and tried to be friendly. he mentioned that if the manager were around he would kick me out. i offered to wait around while he got him. he declined and walked off. before i was able to check out he was back and i mentioned that i was nottrying to cause a scene or any trouble. he maintained the same "this guy is crazy" look on his face and did not appear to be listening. meanwhile quite a few customers had complimented my weapon, asked about local ranges, and i even discussed favorite cailibers with the other sporting goods worker. then i checked out and left. i will be following this up with some communication with the store manager and more oc visits.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I would simply fill out a customer comment card on the guy - you did get his name from his name tag, right?

Just provide some feedback - like, "While shoppiong and minding my own business, employee ________ took it upon himself to give me disrespectful looks and glances; he indicated that he felt that I should not be allowed to shop at WalMart while legally armed with my sidearm. I would appreciate if you would counsel Mr. ____ to not bother me or other lawfully armed citizens in the future, thanks."

alexander hamilton

imported post

yeah, that would have been a good idea but i just called the place. i spoke with the assistant manager who said she knew the policy. she said she would speak to the employee. i insisted that he not be punished but just educated and she fed me some bull about how he was just protecting the store. its agood thing walmart corporate has a gun friendly policy because individual stores dont seem too comfortable with legally armed citizens.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I recommend not calling - too many employees will simply tell you somthing and do nothing.

best to use a card or email - somthing tangible that leaves a record.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alexander hamilton (AH). Calling and discussing your concerns with the local store management was a good idea (Standby-One, Mike - I'm making a "retail" point here). It keeps it at the point-of-service level. It's good you don't want the initial employee "punished", just educated. This is where the most good can come of your inquiry/concern. I can't tell you the number of times I used to have people tell me "I'll have your job". I did respond, on more than one occasion "you wouldn't want my job" or "you couldn't handle my job". I was a bank manager in a large branch. Anyway, continue on with a letter to corporate management and describe the situation and that you spoke with the local management person about it. It can amount to a "win-win" situation. At that point, the local manager will be "on the spot" to explain wheter or not it was handled. (OK Mike, I think I got your point in :cool:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

See my remarks under "Open Carry of Longgun" on this site re: Wally World!
I regularly carry open or CC in Wally World without any problems throughout Richmond. I too buy my range ammo there - Winchester, white box. Its a good buy.

Taclead

imported post

I opened carried into the Hampton Walmart on Saturday 29 July. I attempted to buy ammo at the sporting goods counter and was told I could not because they could not put ammunition and a firearm in the same hands. See my post on 31 July. I contacted the assistant manager Natalie and she said I was not even allowed to open carry in Walmart--corporate policy. I contacted Mr. Rod Richardson and he also said they "preferred: customers leave their weapons in the car or conceal carry so customers won't get upset. This was his official policy. Additionally he said that when they did sell weapons they could not sell the weapon and ammunition at the same time, reinforcing their not putting ammunition and a firearm in the same hands. I have a call in to corporate Walmart and I am awaiting to see if this is a corporate policy. Needless to say, Hampton Walmart will no loger get my business.

TEX1N

imported post

So between this post and the other post concerning the Hampton wal-mart (and it's manager, Rod Richardson), it looks like their store policy changes depending on who you talkto. That's not very encouraging to us gun owners.

I find it funny that they won't let you buy ammo if you are open carrying. But if you are carrying concealed it's not a problem because they don't know you have a gun. It sounds like they have a pretty messed up policy to me. I mean if a criminal gets a gun and needs to buy ammo for it, he is not going to walk into wal-mart open carrying!

GodGunsnGuts

imported post

TEX1N, I'm probably going to get seriously chastised for broaching this "politically incorrect" subject, but sometimes ya gotta say what's on your mind. This WalMart is commonly referred to as "The Ghetto" WalMart and for good reason. It has been plagued with incidences of armed robbery, assualt & battery, killings and so on and has well earned it reputation. One has only to go there on any given Saturday night and see for themselves that being armed is a very wise thing to do. Hampton is in denial. White-flight has taken it's toll on most of the businesses and you only have to open your eyes to see it's effect on Hampton's residents. Enclaves of "gated" communities are the norm nowdays and it breaks my heart to see communities that once where "preferred", turned into wretched social welfare shanty-towns with crack-heads and punks walking the streets.

I live in Buckroe, in what was once a community of mature homeowners w/children and a deep sense of community service, but that's long gone now...replaced with scumbag rental lords who care nothing for this community except how much "positive cash flow" it can make. Sadly, I started OC'ing as a result of open confrontation with drug dealers making their transactions in plain view of me while I was working outside my home. Calling the police was a joke...these pricks would rather chase the occassional speeder or kid-on-a-moped than actually bust druggies that I've positively ID'd. Hell, I even took video of these bastards setting up their deals using young, under-aged kids w/walkie-talkies planted at strategic points around the neighborhood to give advance warning. Call the police/detectives you say? Bullshit! What I really long to do is sit on my roof with my Bushmaster "Varmiter" w/starlite scope and give these punks 62 grains of lead poison...headshots only. But, alas, I would be labled by the liberal media as a "racist"... one of those NRA types with all those "assualt" weapons. No! Just a decent hardworking taxpayer whose fed up with lazy-ass cops and meally-mouthed detectives who've been hoodwinked into believing the "great lie"... and we all know what that lie is but to dare mention it publically is suicide for your career.

Jesus Lord in Heaven...I just don't know where our society is headed anymore. What was good 30 years ago is now bad. If a man was a queer, he damn well better keep it to himself...now days...we have to be accepting & sensitive because it's the politically correct thing to do. If we slip up and say "nigger" in our conversation, we are viewed as racist and looked down at, but our children's heads are being filled with vile, filthy lyrics from these scumbag rappers who spewout their racial epithets like running water...but that's their right under the first amendment, right?We kill tens of thousands of GOD's little babies before they're born and say it's a woman's "right", but when we execute known murderers who's whole life's intent was that of depriviety and immorality, a wailinggoes up by the media andtheliberal ilk, that we're savages and depriving them of their rights. Our political system is wholely corrupt and we admire successful people because they've learned how to screw their fellow man out of his money using "the system". It makes me physically sick to my stomach thinking about it and like that other fella that blew his stack on that other forum where he used a lot of profanities...what the hell's it gonna take to wake our country up? I don't know about you guys, but as for me...every free nickel& dime I can spare is goinginto stockpiling surplus ammo and reloading components. Go ahead...call me a nut...a doomsday-sayer, but I sleep a whole lot better knowing I can provide the necessary defense of my family and home rather than depending on these miserable pukes who call themselves law officers.

And that TEX1N...is my humble opinion.

molonlabetn

imported post

GodGunsnGuts wrote:
TEX1N, I'm probably going to get seriously chastised for broaching this "politically incorrect" subject, but sometimes ya gotta say what's on your mind. This WalMart is commonly referred to as "The Ghetto" WalMart and for good reason. It has been plagued with incidences of armed robbery, assualt & battery, killings and so on and has well earned it reputation. One has only to go there on any given Saturday night and see for themselves that being armed is a very wise thing to do. Hampton is in denial. White-flight has taken it's toll on most of the businesses and you only have to open your eyes to see it's effect on Hampton's residents. Enclaves of "gated" communities are the norm nowdays and it breaks my heart to see communities that once where "preferred", turned into wretched social welfare shanty-towns with crack-heads and punks walking the streets.

I live in Buckroe, in what was once a community of mature homeowners w/children and a deep sense of community service, but that's long gone now...replaced with scumbag rental lords who care nothing for this community except how much "positive cash flow" it can make. Sadly, I started OC'ing as a result of open confrontation with drug dealers making their transactions in plain view of me while I was working outside my home. Calling the police was a joke...these pricks would rather chase the occassional speeder or kid-on-a-moped than actually bust druggies that I've positively ID'd. Hell, I even took video of these bastards setting up their deals using young, under-aged kids w/walkie-talkies planted at strategic points around the neighborhood to give advance warning. Call the police/detectives you say? Bullshit! What I really long to do is sit on my roof with my Bushmaster "Varmiter" w/starlite scope and give these punks 62 grains of lead poison...headshots only. But, alas, I would be labled by the liberal media as a "racist"... one of those NRA types with all those "assualt" weapons. No! Just a decent hardworking taxpayer whose fed up with lazy-ass cops and meally-mouthed detectives who've been hoodwinked into believing the "great lie"... and we all know what that lie is but to dare mention it publically is suicide for your career.

Jesus Lord in Heaven...I just don't know where our society is headed anymore. What was good 30 years ago is now bad. If a man was a queer, he damn well better keep it to himself...now days...we have to be accepting & sensitive because it's the politically correct thing to do. If we slip up and say "nigger" in our conversation, we are viewed as racist and looked down at, but our children's heads are being filled with vile, filthy lyrics from these scumbag rappers who spewout their racial epithets like running water...but that's their right under the first amendment, right?We kill tens of thousands of GOD's little babies before they're born and say it's a woman's "right", but when we execute known murderers who's whole life's intent was that of depriviety and immorality, a wailinggoes up by the media andtheliberal ilk, that we're savages and depriving them of their rights. Our political system is wholely corrupt and we admire successful people because they've learned how to screw their fellow man out of his money using "the system". It makes me physically sick to my stomach thinking about it and like that other fella that blew his stack on that other forum where he used a lot of profanities...what the hell's it gonna take to wake our country up? I don't know about you guys, but as for me...every free nickel& dime I can spare is goinginto stockpiling surplus ammo and reloading components. Go ahead...call me a nut...a doomsday-sayer, but I sleep a whole lot better knowing I can provide the necessary defense of my family and home rather than depending on these miserable pukes who call themselves law officers.

And that TEX1N...is my humble opinion.

AMEN!

molonlabetn

TEX1N

imported post

GodGunsnGuts, I am not sure exactly what I did to deserve such attention. First of all let me say that my intentions were to direct my comments at wal-mart as being the incompetent ones, not the gun owners who have had problems OC'ing there.

Second; I welcome your "politically incorrect" statements and agree whole-heartedly with most of them (I would take some issue with some of your comments about LEO's, but I got the impression that you were just talking about your local cops and not making a blanket statement). I believe that most of OCDO (opencarry.org) is not PC, because open carrying within itself can by politically incorrect (another small bonus for us OC'ers).

And last; I know what you mean about wal-marts in bad parts of town. I have one near me that I refuse to go into unarmed. While I don't currently live in a "drug infested" community, as you, I absolutely understand your need to prepare for a "doomsday" situation. The way congress likes to take power, and invade on our god-given freedoms, one piece of legislation at a time; and the way the courts will "legislate" away any freedoms that congress forgets to take; it's no wonder why guns owners feel threatened from every side. If it's not the drug dealers in your front yard, then it's the politicians trying to take your back yard!

IMHO, any freedom loving American needs to take a long hard look at where this country is headed, before it's too late. –TEX1N

Mauserman

imported post

I have contacted my local, Waterville, Maine, Wal-Mart store with the carry question. I will let you folks know what their policy is as soon as they respond.

jimwyant

imported post

It is my understanding that WM corporate policy is to follow the laws of the jurisdiction where their stores are located. If OC is not prohibited by law, then WM doesn't have a problem with it, although as you will see from reading this and some other threads, local management doesn't always know/follow corporate policy until challenged. Personally, I would have OC'ed and see if I was asked to leave, rather than asking first, but opinions differ on that subject. Since you have asked, if you get a negative answer, I would present the correspondence you had with your local store to WM Corporate for verification. My $0.02.

I see this is your first post. Welcome!!

Mauserman

imported post

Thanks for the welcome. It is not a rare thing for me to carry as I did in uniform for 25 years as a cop in Fairfield, Maine. Mainer's are not strangers to firearms. Although our state is becoming another new site for liberals from Massachusetts!