• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mistaken for LEO

Got Sig?

imported post

We recently ate in a roadside diner on the way down to our beach house below Wilmington, NC. Was open carrying and just walked in and sat down. After our meal we got up to go. My wife and son went outside and I stopped to pay the bill and the cashier rang up a 20% discount to our tab. I asked if there was a mistake, and she said that they gave a 20% discount to all police officers and fire fighters. I informed her that I was not a police officer (although I used to be, and still kinda have the look), and she said that was OK, it was "our little secret", and let the discount stand.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Its never happened, but it would be nice if more restaurants routinely gave discounts for making the premises visibly safer. I know I'd frequent any such place.

Got Sig?

imported post

Mike,

The diner doesn't serve alcoholic drinks. I checked that out before I ordered. It's more on the level of a Shoney's or IHOP. It's just a little mom and pop shop we stumbled upon.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Got Sig? wrote:
We recently ate in a roadside diner on the way down to our beach house below Wilmington, NC. Was open carrying and just walked in and sat down. After our meal we got up to go. My wife and son went outside and I stopped to pay the bill and the cashier rang up a 20% discount to our tab. I asked if there was a mistake, and she said that they gave a 20% discount to all police officers and fire fighters. I informed her that I was not a police officer (although I used to be, and still kinda have the look), and she said that was OK, it was "our little secret", and let the discount stand.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
I have been mistakenly given LEO discounts on a couple of occasions. On both of them, the waitresses were happy to let the discounts stand when I corrected them.

So I went ahead and tipped them up to the full price of the ticket. I think that given this, I can safely say that they will look kindly on open carryers in the future :D

VAopencarry

imported post

I think that happened to me once. Bought coffee and a snack at a gas station convenience store and the clerk purposefully did not charge me for my coffee. She didn't say, because you are a cop but after thinking about it I believe that is why.