• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Sterling, VA

GlockMan

imported post

Yesterday, I OC at Nordstrom and Hecht's at Dulles Town Crossing in Sterling, VA. Nothing to report, went smooth. Was even helped by a few store employees and they didn't say anything about it.

The more I OC the more I think people just assume you're an off-duty LOE. What do you guys think?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Well, more and more folks know that open carry in VA is legal - after the "Champs" incident in 2004, and all the press coverage, pretty much anyone who reads a newspaper knows the deal now.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think Cognitive Dissonance is a cause for being mistaken for a LEO.
From Wikipedia
"Cognitions which contradict each other are said to be "dissonant," while cognitions which agree with each other are said to be "consonant." Cognitions which neither agree nor disagree with each other are said to be "irrelevant."
The introduction of new cognition that is dissonant with a currently held cognition creates a state of "dissonance," the magnitude of which relates to the relative importance of the involved cognitions. Dissonance can be reduced either by eliminating dissonant cognitions, or by adding new consonant cognitions. The maximum possible dissonance is equal to the resistance to change of the less resistant cognition; therefore, once dissonance reaches a level that overcomes the resistance of one of the cognitions involved, that cognition will be changed or eliminated, and dissonance will be reduced.
This leads some people who feel dissonance to seek information that will reduce dissonance and avoid information that will increase dissonance. People who are involuntarily exposed to information that increases dissonance are likely to discount that information, either by ignoring it, misinterpreting it, or denying it."

The way it works is like this. You are open carrying. An anti gunner sees you, at this point their brain goes into overdrive. The anti thinks guns are evil andonly bad guys, rednecks and cops have them . Presented with the presence of your gun the anti tries to figure out if you are a threat. Since you are not acting dangerous they compare you to their mental image of gunowner. Since you do not fit that stereotype, you are lumped into the LEO category. As a lot of people are not aware of the legality of open carry they assume only cops and bad guys carry (as if a criminal would open carry). Bottom line, assuming you are a cop shows the inflexibility of some peoples minds to deal with normal citizens open carry of firearms.

Being mistaken for a LEO has happened to me several times, that I know of. I know because people have asked what department I was with or similar questions. I just give my favorite line "I'm just a guy." Then I proceed to destroy their misconceptions about open carry. I wish I knew how many people must think I am a cop and don't ask. I really wish I could also inform them of the truth. I think I need a hat or T-shirt that says "Armed Citizen" or "Unorganized Militia"

TrueBrit

imported post

Good explanatory post, Longwatch! I agree about the hats, T shirts etc, and maybe the OCDO clothes that are in the pipeline will do the trick here.

TrueBrit.

VApatriot

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Good explanatory post, Longwatch! I agree about the hats, T shirts etc, and maybe the OCDO clothes that are in the pipeline will do the trick here.

TrueBrit.
That is one of the first things I thought about when suggesting ideas for designs.

GlockMan

imported post

Mike wrote:
Well, more and more folks know that open carry in VA is legal - after the "Champs" incident in 2004, and all the press coverage, pretty much anyone who reads a newspaper knows the deal now.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "Champs" incident in 2004? I just OC tonight at Champs in Reston. No issues, but truthfully I'm not sure if management even knew.

I'm a martial arts instructor (Krav Maga mainly) and I went to Champs for dinner with a bunch of students after a belt test we had earlier in the day. I took the opportunity to educate them, as I often do in class as well, about the carry laws in VA. I was somewhat amazed a friend of mine who was there who owns 2 pistols and I often shoot with didn't know the laws. Oh well, he does now!

Lew

imported post

I'll use this as an opportunity to applaude all of the Virginia citizens on here. It is utterly boggling and frustrating when I read the comments of the anti-gun spokesmen. I can hardly believe these adults are so ignorant and blinded (by choice) by their own lies. No facts. No logic. Just arbitrary statements like, "I don't want to see someone with a gun." Ridiculous. Anyway, keep up the good fight.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The "Champs Incident" helped to inform the public and remind the police of the legality of open carry in the NoVa area, but as they say, "All politics is local". It took the "Short Pump Incident" to do the same for the Henrico Co/Richmond police (Check out the old threads on this at Packing.org for details). I don't know if there was any press coverage of it, but VCDL was very active there. The "York Co. School Board Incident", in which a local resident OC'd at a public meeting, led to a Daily Press article and editorial which put open carry on the map in the Hampton/Newport News area. Of course, the press reports were filled with the usual hyperbole, hysteria, and predictable anti-gun bias, but nevertheless informed the public of the "appalling legality" of the practice. Typically, the liberals hoped for some "backlash" in their favor, but this was NOT the case here. In fact, their attempt to get the legislature to specifically forbid carry at such public meetings was soundly rebuffed, and they were reminded that local preemption meant just that. Imagine!!

GlockMan

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Just think someday there will be a roadside historic places sign there marking its significance to our civil rights struggle. ;)

dyver1

imported post

Just so you are aware, the current manager of the CHAMPPS is very pro gun and welcomes open carry in his establishment.

Last month we had dinner with about 30 of us getting to meet our favorite model Lori who graces the front page of OCDO and now a huge billboard in TEXAS. It was a great evening and great to get to meet her.

Any time you can open carry at CHAMPPSyou will be welcomed and I think that we shoud support him with our business.

Be careful out there!

Paul