• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry when traveling???

BoydK31

imported post

:)Hello all I am pretty new here, as a matter of fact I am pretty new to carry open or concealed. I wanted to know if I visit another state ie. Idaho or whatever can I carry if the state does not require a OC permit?? Do you need to be a resident to carry in most places?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

BoydK31 wrote:
:)Hello all I am pretty new here, as a matter of fact I am pretty new to carry open or concealed. I wanted to know if I visit another state ie. Idaho or whatever can I carry if the state does not require a OC permit?? Do you need to be a resident to carry in most places?
Hi BoydK31! Welcome to the site!

You actually asked several questions here. Many of them might be answered by a close look at the maps on out main site at OpenCarry.org.

No state that I am aware of imposes a residency requirement for open carry. The requirements for open carry vary from none to impossible across the states, but they apply equally to residents and non-residents alike.

What specific states are you interested in?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Boyd,

You're good to go in Idaho, as it's a gold star open carry state, and has universal recognition for your WA CPL.. Oregon is ok outside of the 6 cities that ban loaded carry in public places. If you need to score a CHL in Oregon so that you're legally protected from any of the "city open carry bans" or being accused of concealment, or being able to carry in public buildings statewide, please PM me and I'll get you the information you need.

-Lonnie

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

At OpenCarry.org, we try to stay focussed on the carry of loaded handguns. See out travelers' tab for info on traveling thru states without a license to carry valid in that state.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Cut And Shoot wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
"Oregon law has no restrictions about carrying an unloaded firearm. 'Unloaded' means no ammo in the gun. It also means no loaded magazine in ready access. "

I may be wrong about Oregon, is there some other law that specifically states ammo must not be readily accessible?
Yeah, it's the law in Oregon that says you can't have an unloaded firearm with "readily accessible ammo."

No mag in the pocket. No speed loader. No loose rounds.

Not legal to have the gun locked in the trunk with a loaded mag.

The INTENTION of the law is that you don't have access to a functioning firearm in a motor vehicle.

You get a hunting/angling license and you're free to go.

CCW and you're free to go.
Cite the law please.