Thread: What about your BUG?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Here's the hypothetical situation: You're wearing long pants, have your primary pistol on your belt and a BUG in an ankle holster. You go out to dinner at a restaurant with an ABC license. The primary is visable to all in accordance with VA law. Are you breaking VA law with regards to the BUG?
    ---

Post imported post

OK, that's weird. I was justthinking about posting this question when I was driving home!!

While this is a good question for any lawyers out there, my guess is that it would take someone testing this in court to find the answer. That being said, I think this probably is a violation of law. If concealed carry is illegal, then this is probably a violation. Your bug is concealed.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I think you're correct on the BUG being illegal.

Per VA Code §18.2-308 J3
    J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
    But it is an interesting question.
    ---

Post imported post

Bad bug, bad bug!!! I say illigal by my reading of the law.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Pretty clear to me that it is illegal, just get a clip on or paddle holster and keep in your car for such occasions. I think people are just as likely to react negatively to one gun as they are to two. Personally I wouldn't mind an amendment allowing for backup CCW. As everyone knows you are armed by the open carry of your primary what difference would it make to have a concealed BUG.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Pretty clear to me that it is illegal, just get a clip on or paddle holster and keep in your car for such occasions. I think people are just as likely to react negatively to one gun as they are to two. Personally I wouldn't mind an amendment allowing for backup CCW. As everyone knows you are armed by the open carry of your primary what difference would it make to have a concealed BUG.
    Longwatch has a good point there. I agree that it would definately be illegal, but perhaps an amendment to the statute to allow BUG CC if you have an OC PG should be submitted.

PG = primary gun

Post imported post

Assuming that the PG is carried, say,OWB 3 o'clock , put the BUG at 9 o'clock, butt forward, cross-draw, OWB! It could also thus be drawn left handed, with the old "Cavalry Twist!"

These Britoids are indeed STRANGE people, Virginia!

Guess who?

Post imported post

GlockMan wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    Longwatch has a good point there. I agree that it would definately be illegal, but perhaps an amendment to the statute to allow BUG CC if you have an OC PG should be submitted.

PG = primary gun
    We could just fix the law all together. However, I'm not sure I want legis even looking at restrurant carry unless they going to allow concealed carry at restrurants.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
    We could just fix the law all together. However, I'm not sure I want legis even looking at restrurant carry unless they going to allow concealed carry at restrurants.
    I agree with you, it would be better to eliminate the ban completely and we should focus our attention on that. I only think expending effort on a BUG exemption would be useful as part of a strategy to nip away at the restaurant ban and only if the situation was that we could get that exemption passed but not a ban repeal.