• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What about your BUG?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's the hypothetical situation: You're wearing long pants, have your primary pistol on your belt and a BUG in an ankle holster. You go out to dinner at a restaurant with an ABC license. The primary is visable to all in accordance with VA law. Are you breaking VA law with regards to the BUG?

GlockEm

imported post

OK, that's weird. I was justthinking about posting this question when I was driving home!!

While this is a good question for any lawyers out there, my guess is that it would take someone testing this in court to find the answer. That being said, I think this probably is a violation of law. If concealed carry is illegal, then this is probably a violation. Your bug is concealed.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think you're correct on the BUG being illegal.

Per VA Code §18.2-308 J3
J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
But it is an interesting question.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Pretty clear to me that it is illegal, just get a clip on or paddle holster and keep in your car for such occasions. I think people are just as likely to react negatively to one gun as they are to two. Personally I wouldn't mind an amendment allowing for backup CCW. As everyone knows you are armed by the open carry of your primary what difference would it make to have a concealed BUG.

GlockMan

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Pretty clear to me that it is illegal, just get a clip on or paddle holster and keep in your car for such occasions. I think people are just as likely to react negatively to one gun as they are to two. Personally I wouldn't mind an amendment allowing for backup CCW. As everyone knows you are armed by the open carry of your primary what difference would it make to have a concealed BUG.
Longwatch has a good point there. I agree that it would definately be illegal, but perhaps an amendment to the statute to allow BUG CC if you have an OC PG should be submitted.

PG = primary gun

TrueBrit

imported post

Assuming that the PG is carried, say,OWB 3 o'clock , put the BUG at 9 o'clock, butt forward, cross-draw, OWB! It could also thus be drawn left handed, with the old "Cavalry Twist!"

These Britoids are indeed STRANGE people, Virginia!:D

Guess who?

rabbit994

imported post

GlockMan wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Longwatch has a good point there. I agree that it would definately be illegal, but perhaps an amendment to the statute to allow BUG CC if you have an OC PG should be submitted.

PG = primary gun
We could just fix the law all together. However, I'm not sure I want legis even looking at restrurant carry unless they going to allow concealed carry at restrurants.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
We could just fix the law all together. However, I'm not sure I want legis even looking at restrurant carry unless they going to allow concealed carry at restrurants.
I agree with you, it would be better to eliminate the ban completely and we should focus our attention on that. I only think expending effort on a BUG exemption would be useful as part of a strategy to nip away at the restaurant ban and only if the situation was that we could get that exemption passed but not a ban repeal.