• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

trying to find a holster for OCW

ghezbora

imported post

I'm moving to Virginia in August and getting ready for OCW.

I figured out exactly what I wanted: a strongside FBI-cant belt holster with level 2 retention for my H&K USP Compact .357 that allows me to carry it cocked-&-locked.

As far as I can tell it doesn't exist. All of the level 2 holsters have thumbstraps that only fit hammer-down. If anyone knows where I can find this, that would be great.

Otherwise, one question: is level 2 retention really necessary? I just assumed it was, but perhaps I should ask the folks here with more OCW experience.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Personally I think level 1 is enough for civilians. We don't intentionally seek out criminals like police do and need that protection less than they do. I really haven't used a level 2 or 3 holster myself but after watching NY police officers draw from their level 3 I am not tempted to. I just think those holsters seem to slow your draw to much and border on overcomplicated for the user. I almost think one could do an Israeli draw from a level 1 faster than some level 3 holster but don't quote me on that.

I typically use thumbstrap pancake holsters for my OC weapons. You might look to some of the custom makers for a holster of you liking.

cs9c1

imported post

Can someone explain the difference of the levels?

Igo back and forth between a leather pancake holster with thumb strap and my BlackhawkCQC SERPA Active Retention Holster (which I feel is faster, but not always as comfortable). I guess both are level 1?

panic215

imported post

I've tried the Bianchi, Carry-Lock. I found them to be very nice and easy to use. No noticable difference in draw times once I had practiced with it for a few minutes.

Cheers,

Jason

ghezbora

imported post

cs9c1: My understanding is that "level x" means the holster has x independent retention systems. So yeah, those should both be level 1. Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

The CQC SERPA looks like a good solution for me. Thanks for the help!