• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Women Open Carrying

1COOLPO

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Women Open Carrying
I was out and about on Saturday (6/17) with my wife. While at the Sheetz in Madison Heights, VA, my wife pointed out a middle aged woman open carrying a Springfield Sub-compact 9MM. When we were done gassing up, my wife and I approached her and told her that it was awesome to see a women open carrying. (Personally, I think it is kinda sexy!!!) Personal protection aside, I think this is why my wife open carries. (She knows it is a big turn on for me!) The lady at the gas station told us that she get quite a few compliments from people about her open carrying, mostly from men. It also did not hurt that she was riding a crotch rocket (Kawasaki). A lady with a motorcycle and a gun- COOL!!!! :cool:

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE!
GUNS KILL DINNER!

Got Sig?

imported post

My aunt in NC is 64 yrs old, rides a Harley, and open carries a S&W model 28 all the time. I can't get my wife on a bicycle, but she CCWs a S&W 642. She is uncomfortable with open carry, even when I do it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well - I ride Hondas - a Gold Wing or a Rebel, depending on my mood, the conditions, and where I'm going. Both are registered in my name (and if you see a Gold Wing license plate 2AMEND, it's me).

And I open carry a lot.

Glad to hear there is more than one of us!

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My wife open carries at times; the only reason she isn't on a bike is due to no room for the stroller!!

cREbralFIX

imported post

I cannot get my wife to shoot, much less carry. Why did you start CC/OC?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I started CC when I moved to VA and got my permit - about 3 years ago. After I realized what a PITA it was to open carry when I went to a restaurant, I started OCing about a year ago.

Since I've had nothing but positive responses, I continued. Most people don't even notice.

Further, I have a mentally handicapped child. Though he's 20, he doesn't understand, so open carrying became the norm in our house. That way, if he sees us conceal a weapon, he isn't always asking "That your gun in there?" And we can make putting them in the safe a normal sight, so he doesn't go looking anywhere else.

(For those who are concerned, yes, we take appropriate precautions tokeep them out of hisreach when they aren't in the safe.)

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Tess wrote:
I started CC when I moved to VA and got my permit - about 3 years ago. After I realized what a PITA it was to open carry when I went to a restaurant, I started OCing about a year ago.

Since I've had nothing but positive responses, I continued. Most people don't even notice.

Tess,

Were you the woman who got fired from her job a few years ago after being photographed open carrying with us (VCDL) at the General Assembly?

Just curious.

John

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jpierce wrote:
Tess,

Were you the woman who got fired from her job a few years ago after being photographed open carrying with us (VCDL) at the General Assembly?

Just curious.

John

Nope, not me.

I can't carry at work - I work on Ft Belvoir. My employer, too, has antiquated gun rules; I'm waiting earnestly to see if NRA is at all successful with getting perremption over employer rules. I'd love to see my employer required to allow my gun in my car. It's still a sore subject with me, but since Belvoir rules override my employer's, I'll just carry when I'm off post. I trust my employer would not fire me over that - it's a major defense contractor AND most of my compatriots know my sentiments.