• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Ammo?

molonlabetn

imported post

Double-Tap now loads .45 G.A.P! So, I'll be shooting up the rest of my stock of Speer GD once my order arrives.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_41

I just ordered mine... 185gr (1150fps - 543 ft-lb, according to them), and that's rated through a G37, which has a shorter barrel than my XD.

I'll try the 165gr (1275fps - 596 ft-lb) next time.

molonlabetn

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Glock 27, 23 and 35 all have either Hornady 180 gr. TAP or Winchester 155 gr Silvertip.

In the .45 I carry Speer Gold Dot 200 gr. +P

My .44 Mags have Winchester 210 gr. Silvertip

In 9mm I use Corbon 125 gr. +P

In my Ruger SP101 I use either Winchester Silvertip125 gr. .38 +P or Federal .357 Mag.

livitup

imported post

I just switched from Hydrashocks to Gold Dots for both my USP and G23. I have the 180 grain .40 cartridges.

I read an article somewhere that said bigger, slower bullets will make bigger permanent wound channels than smaller, faster bullets. So that's the thinking behind my pick.

hirundo82

imported post

147 grain Federal HST (9mm). Everything that I have read indicates this bullet gets great expansion, even in the lower-velocity rounds like the 147 grain. And I like the penetration the 147 grain round gets.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I like the Gold Dots; I'm still trying to decide whether I like the .40 or the .357 better in my Sig 229. The .357 seems to have less recoil (for me) but I think I may be a bit more accurate with the .40 for some reason.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

1st four rounds Sinterfire Special Duty frangible, then four rounds of Golden Sabers
One extra magazine (7 rds) Golden Saber
One extra magazine (7 rds) Corbon DPX
All carried with/in a Les Baer .45 cal TR Special with night sights. This is an extremely accurate weapon that has never maulfunctioned and is like an extension of my arm.
For those not familiar with frangible ammo, it is a compressed (granular) copper projectile. They will positively not richocet, no over penetration and create a devastating wound channel. A .380 cal. in this round out performs the typical .45 cal. hollowpoint. Downside? They break up on multiple layers of clothing so I wont carry them as the weather gets colder.
Check ou this link: http://www.sinterfire.com/ammunition.html
Yata hey!

357luvr

imported post

Who makes the best .40 caliber self defense rounds? Speer Gold Dots sound appealing but I've never done any actual research. Can y'all give me some links to different ammo statistics by each of the popular self defense ammo companies? Thanks.

hirundo82

imported post

You really can't go wrong with one of the premium loads from the big manufacturers--Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T. Differences between these rounds are minor so far as I can tell.

The main thing is being certain whichever you choose functions well in your carry gun.

Anubis

imported post

I use 230 grain JHP in .45ACP and 180 grain JHP in .40S&W. I do think using JHPs is preferable to FMJ in minimizing over-penetration risks if I were to miss the target in a self-defense shooting.

357luvr

imported post

I went ahead and got a box of 180gr. Hornandy TAP carry ammo for my 229. For my Taurus 627 revolver, I use Buffalo Bore ammo. I don't know what grain they are, I got it from my uncle when I bought the gun from him.

HM3

imported post

Interesting answers to a seemingly simple question. I don't plan on using my weapon on a 30 or 40 yard shot or even a 30 or 40 foot shot. It will be up close, in the order of 10 to 15 foot and I feel safe in the fact that my hollow point and fmj rounds will do the job! I alternate my rounds..fmj/hp/fmj/hp...you get the idea.

Only really "tough" spot on the main body is the strurnum and if my load charge gets the round out of the barrell and through that, it will just fine. Any other spot is luck, very good marksmanship or showing off. A hollow point or fmj that hits the heart or major body organ will be enough to slow down, dare I say stop, the bad guyunless they are on meth or crank or something. And who among us is going to stop with one round in that situation? Training says at least two...if it is still moving, two more.

norahc

imported post

I agree that shot placement is the key factor.

murphyslaw wrote:
I use fed. hydro-shok in 165gr. 45acp.
Murphy,

I'm curious as to why you chose the 165grn round instead of the 230grn round. I know that it is a faster round, but it's energy drops off dramatically and it is more affected by wind drift.

molonlabetn

imported post

norahc wrote:

murphyslaw wrote:
Murphy,

I'm curious as to why you chose the 165grn round instead of the 230grn round. I know that it is a faster round, but it's energy drops off dramatically and it is more affected by wind drift.

I can't answer for murphyslaw, but from my experience the 165gr Fed HS exhibit very low recoil compared to the 230gr Fed HS, making them easy to control and place follow-up shots. That would be a good reason, along with the higher kinetic energy available within normal defensive ranges. That load is also good for short-barrels...

molonlabetn

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
norahc wrote:

murphyslaw wrote:
Murphy,

I can't answer for murphyslaw, but from my experience the 165gr Fed HS exhibit very low recoil compared to the 230gr Fed HS, making them easy to control and place follow-up shots. That would be a good reason, along with the higher kinetic energy available within normal defensive ranges. That load is also good for short-barrels...

molonlabetn

well the answer that molon gave is very good and a thing i have recognised. tho when I bought my first box of hydro-shok that was all they had and i figured well ih rather have to use a few in a bad guy then have an tmj go threw a guy(all i had at that time). then i started testing them, got a few box's of the 230 and the 165 did compative testing. with the 165 my double tap shoots tighten up to bout 1 1/2" with the 230 there easily 2" some times more. not worried about the loss of energy over a distance casue i dont plan on shooting at something more then 50yds away. and if i have to i always have a mag loaded with fmj's( i carry three mags first two are ydro-shok the third is a last ditch effort so its just loaded with 230g fmj. I do buy a box of the 230 every now and then its the same price but its easyer to find the 165. tho a 2" shoot radius isnt bad I always like that little edge.

when i was going to tac. school the instructor always braged about being able to shoot several rds threw the same hole while i could play connect the dots. I always felt two shoots very close together is better then two shoots in the SAME exact spot.(guess that dosnt really pretain to this tho). ok now i'm just rambling.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

here is a few graphs about the hydro-shok comparing the 165/230.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1092232/trajectory.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1092232/velocity.JPG

tho the 165 is more subject to wind, the 165 has less drop and is faster.
but has 40flbs less energy at 50yds.

its still in my book as a fine choice. and this way if my girl friend had to use my weapon it would be easier for here the differenc in shots for her with the 165 are 3" and with the 230 its easily 5". (double tap/rapid fire)

*edit* just realised that the sight height for the pistol was set to 0.9" where its really 0.3", so the numbers arnt spot on but the glide slope is still right.*/edit*

norahc

imported post

I saw the ballistics info on Federal's site, but thanks for the info. I realize it is a personal preference thing so I just wanted to hear your reasons.

I personally carry the 230grn Golden Sabre in my G30 and have had no problems with recoil or double taps. My average double tap group is about 1 1/2 inches.

I also agree that "connecting the dots" is a better way to go than putting all of your rounds through the same hole.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think if one is going to go down to 165gr in a .45 they might also consider a .40 165gr. Federal HST .40 165gr load goes out at 1140fps and 470 ft/lbs at the muzzle. At 25 yards this drops down to 1090 fps and 435 ft/lbs. A .40 with this loading will offer at least a few to several more rounds in the magazine with more power than a similar weight .45 round.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I like my .45acp and its the xd not a 1911 type so i have 13+1 more then enough specialy since i usually carry two spare mags. when on duty i do use the 230gr cause thats what the dept. allows us. trying to talk them into some other stuff too but hey it works so no big deal.