• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Idea or Bad Idea?

panic215

imported post

Guys,

I was thinking. If I lived in an OC state and carried daily (which I would), I would try to make a list of answers to the questions most frequently asked by people you encounter. I would then have this, along with URL's for sites containing OC info such as this and have it printed onto business cards. That way, when approached by someone curious about OC, I could give them a card and point them to some good sites with factual information (unlike what the read in the anti-gun media). Has anyone else thought about this? I'm sure, based on the intelligence Isee on this forum, we could consolidate info and put together a very informative list.

Cheers,

Jason

VAopencarry

imported post

Sounds good in theory........

This is the reality, as I see it, you will be asked about it once a year, maybe. Is it worth the effort? I think it is important to have an idea how you will respond to a curious question or a hostile person.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Depends on how much you OC and where you are doing it. I get asked or rather the opportunity to educate every month or so. It doesn't hurt to expect to be asked though and one should have good stock answers and thing about what you will be asked. Even though open carry has been around for a long time the people you meet are likely to be seeing it for the first time in their daily life. As open carry is a new movement we all are ambassadors for those who will follow us. I think we should endeavour to do our best to set a good example and present the best image possible.

TrueBrit

imported post

This idea can surely do no harm, and could prove useful. In addition, not a bad idea, perhaps, to have the relevant State Statutes that permit open carry printed thereon, also.

I believe that Mr.Pierce has done this, and has thus educated Tenessee LEOs.

We are indeed ambassadors, and can do much to promote open carry, especially if carrying relevant documentation with which to advance our cause.

I think it's a winner!

TrueBrit.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have made copies of the State Police and ABC letters for restaurant carry as well as copies of some various laws.

panic215

imported post

I have a good friend that is in the printing business. If we we could put together some informative information that the forum agrees on, I would be happy to pay for him to print them and I could mail them to those who think they could use them.

Jason

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I have a "pocket book" that I carry in my left back pocket MOST of the time, that has most of the firearm related laws in it for alaska. it has kept me out of touble a few times while in small towns that arnt much used to firearms and such.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
I have a "pocket book" that I carry in my left back pocket MOST of the time, that has most of the firearm related laws in it for alaska. it has kept me out of touble a few times while in small towns that arnt much used to firearms and such.

That assumes the cops will admit they are unsure of the law and are willing to actually look at it. Many places they do not care and once they have accosted you they will do whatever they are planning on regardless of what the law actually says.

Does not only apply to gun situations.

chuck500cc

imported post

That is a great question. I have tried a few responses on my friends. I have a Tx CHL. On one night, my wife and I were invited to go to dinner with a large group of friends. One of my good friends (25+years) knows that when I am in my Old Navy vest I am carrying. He was at that point was the only one that knew I carried. Well, his lady friend came up to give me a hug and I accidentally put my strong side arm high and hers went low under the vest finding my 4" XD 9mm in a OWB holster.:shock: After I helped her get some color back in her face I pulled out the "firearm bible". She, well, leans to the left just a bit but after some education from the pulpit she understands why I carry and why she has a spare tire under her SUV. I am sure there are many stories like this from you guys and gals out there but you never know when someone is going to give you the "list of questions". I just tell them "good question and let me give some facts about ABC question". I like having the websites on a business card, PDO, OpenCarry.com, GunFacts.com, ect. ect.

Chuck XD Fan