• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Mayor in Louisiana Robbed and Beaten

tallwalker

imported post

On Wednesday night, the mayor of Madisonville, LA (a small sleepy town north of New Orleans) was caught from behind while closing his restaraunt, seriously beaten, and robbed less than 500 feet from the local police station. While he was on the ground bleeding, he dialled 911 for help on his cell phone. He is still in the hospital, had to have 14 pins put in his skull, and received some bad occular and mouth injuries.

I live less than 15 miles from there and know this man well. I can tell you for certain that our small "bed & breakfast" little towns have been overrun by displaced refuse seeking higher ground and fresh places to setup shop. It is VERY noticable, and most folks around here have been in a kind of denial about that fact.

While I have carried my CCWP since the law here was enacted, I have been reluctant to open carry. Just felt like it was screaming "Here I am, and I'm armed. Look at me." to the whole world.

Ok. I've had my epiphany. Time to do that kind of screaming. Maybe the scum will get the message load and clear that we aren't here for their consumption.

Gun_Addict

imported post

Tallwalker, I agree. The calmness of the northshore is no longer. Slidell/Pearl River has been my home for the past 16 years and have felt relatively safe. I am currently displaced but will be back in a few weeks and know that I will have to be ever more watchfull. As the riff-raff come home to roost, they will find it is a lot more slim pickens in their old haunt and will start to move around looking for better pickens as you say. Plus with the National Guard roaming around in Orleans, the crud will definately move on. I think there is only one cure for what ails the area, and I don't think I have to say it.
I hate to hear about the mayor or any one else for that matter. I too have carried since it was inacted, but never really felt was in danger. But that has all changed now and for the worse. I hope to catch the sheriff around some time to find out his reaction to open carry. I know the cities probably won't like it, but unless they have a law on the books against it prior to 1985, there isn't a whole lot they can do about it but harrass you. I prefer conceal, but this heat is making it unbearable. I might have to do like another poster said to do. Put on a tank top undershirt and tuck it in and then wear a big loose hawaiian shirt over that which would cover the owb holster.

Be safe and shoot straight! :D

TrueBrit

imported post

Sad to see that His Honour was armed with nothing more lethal than a cellphone, which did him little good.

Cellphones are best employed after the fact, when one informs the cops that one has a dead goblin in a pool of blood and snot, and will someone kindly remove him!;)

TrueBrit.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Stuff like this really frosts my cookies! Since the mayor was attacked from behind, he might not have been able to do anything even if he had been carrying. Still, if more of the civilized folks do use armed force, they will eventually start to make an impression on those reptile-brained predators who prey on decent people.

Its time the folks in your neck of the woods start getting used to seeing people open carry. For those who are put off by it, simply inform them you don't intend to be a helpless victim, and open carry provides two important advantages: quicker access to the weapon, and the ability to carry a larger, more powerful gun than can easily be concealed. If you are within the law, DO IT!! If the LEO's complain, politely point out that they OC all the time, for the same reasons!

ProguninTN

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Sad to see that His Honour was armed with nothing more lethal than a cellphone, which did him little good.

Cellphones are best employed after the fact, when one informs the cops that one has a dead goblin in a pool of blood and snot, and will someone kindly remove him!;)

TrueBrit.

I agree with your statement. A cell phone is good to have, but it does not stop the immediate threat like a gun. Also, a gun will work anywhere. A cell phone must have a charged battery, and be within a certain distance of a tower. I hate to admit it, but I must travel through areas with no coverage from time to time. Hence, why weapons are essential.

ProguninTN

Opie

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Stuff like this really frosts my cookies! Since the mayor was attacked from behind, he might not have been able to do anything even if he had been carrying.
This is a good reminder about being aware of our surroundings. -Opie

tallwalker

imported post

An update on this....

They apprehended the criminals who did this. Turned out to be a husband and wife team. Evidentally, the wife had worked at the restaurant the mayor was closing up, and knew his habits. Pre-meditated to say the least. Looking for drug money.

A reminder not only to be aware of our surroundings, but aware of our patterns. While we all train ourselves into practiced habits of safety and gun handling, and doing everything precisely the same way very intentionally, it is not at all a good idea to let this mindset of predictability spill over into our other habits and routes.

The mayor is recovering, but there is some concern about his faculties since the beating. He may never be the same.

PAPACHUCK

imported post

Gun_Addict wrote:
Tallwalker, I agree. The calmness of the northshore is no longer. Slidell/Pearl River has been my home for the past 16 years and have felt relatively safe. I am currently displaced but will be back in a few weeks and know that I will have to be ever more watchfull. As the riff-raff come home to roost, they will find it is a lot more slim pickens in their old haunt and will start to move around looking for better pickens as you say. Plus with the National Guard roaming around in Orleans, the crud will definately move on. I think there is only one cure for what ails the area, and I don't think I have to say it.
I hate to hear about the mayor or any one else for that matter. I too have carried since it was inacted, but never really felt was in danger. But that has all changed now and for the worse. I hope to catch the sheriff around some time to find out his reaction to open carry. I know the cities probably won't like it, but unless they have a law on the books against it prior to 1985, there isn't a whole lot they can do about it but harrass you. I prefer conceal, but this heat is making it unbearable. I might have to do like another poster said to do. Put on a tank top undershirt and tuck it in and then wear a big loose hawaiian shirt over that which would cover the owb holster.

Be safe and shoot straight! :D

Tallwalker and Gun_Addict, you are not alone on the northshore. I hail from Covington originally, went to school in Madisonville(Mayor Gitz was my 9th grade shop teacher) but have lived in Slidell since 1987. I as well have CCWbut usually OC in my neighborhood just to let the riff-raff know not to mess with me or my family.

It's nice to hear from ya'll and thanks for helping to keep our community safe.

PAPACHUCK :D :D

tallwalker

imported post

It really is a small world sometimes. I guess I tend to forget that all too often. Hi to all of you!

I did check in on Mayor Gitz and his family today. They are doing pretty well considering, but then they are some pretty hardy folks. I will give them your best wishes when I see then next.