• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Open Carry Experiences in Chesrterfield and Richmond, Virginia

Sigaleps

imported post

I got my CCW about two years ago and have been carrying concealed most of the time... I plan to start open carrying this summer... anyone know of gun friendly and gun unfriendly establishments here in Richmond and Chesterfield areas?

Thanks in advance

rchjr

imported post

Hi,

I OC all around chesterfield and richmond. Have for about a year now. Haven't had any problems anywhere. A few looks, some comments, nothing negative. Chesterfield LEO's have noticed, but again no problems. I OC a PA-63 9x18cal so it's not really a handgun that would lead to a lot of discussion with someone carrying a sig or glock, but it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, and hits what I aim at so I'm happy with it. Maybe I need to start a thread of the places I go. Oh well, carry away. Other than Henrico, and hopefully that is taken care of, I would be surprised if you have any problems.

Stay Alert/Stay Alive

Got Sig?

imported post

I live in Chesterfield, and either OC or CC a SIG P229 everywhere I go. In the last 9 yrs I have only been asked about it three times. The first time at the Oxbridge Shoney's on Hull St Rd, when the server asked if I was expecting any trouble, and I replied, "I hope not." She smiled and went about her duties as usual, no problems.

The second time was at the Orange Mart on Newby's Bridge and Courthouse Rd. I was leaving, and a guy sitting at a picnic table outside asked what dept I was with. I told him I wasn't with any, and he told me that he thought it was "cool" that an "average citizen" would be carrying. Then he started asking about my weapon.

The last time was last week at the Jiffy Lube on Rte 10 across from the main Police Station. As I was leaving after having my oil changed, the technician asked what kind of pistol I was carrying. We talked a little bit, and he said he was looking to get a pistol for his 21st birthday and apply for his CC permit. I took the opportunity to educate him and his co-workers on VA firearms laws, and they gave me a $15 discount on my oil change in return.

One place I used to OC all of the time that is now out of business was Gus' Pizza in the same shopping center as the Orange Mart (it is now Bambino's Pizza, but I haven't been in there since they changed names). Last winter (2004) I went in there with my bro-in-law from Atlanta to watch some football, and I wasn't carrying, and Gus asked if I was forgetting something. I told him I was planning on having a few beers while I watched the game, and he sat down with us and bought us a couple beers and we had a good talk.

Other Places I have OC'd in and around Richmond and Chesterfield with no problems are:

Penny Lane Pub
The Halfway House
Sine's
The Old Va Tobacco Company
The Jefferson Hotel
Kings Korner at the Chesterfield Airport ( I eat lunch there once a week)
El Paso Restaurants
Mexico Restaurants
Mi Hacienda Restaurants
Ruth's Chris'
Bookbinders
The French Quarter (Hull & Genito)
Carrabba's
The Olive Garden
Padow's Deli
Chilli's
O'Charley's (Hull & 288)
Applebees (Rte 10 & Chalkley, and Hull & Genito)
Ruby Tuesday (Hull St in front of Costco)
Valentino's (Jeff Davis Hwy)
Subway
Yen Chin (Hull & Genito)
Peking (Midlothian Tpke near Old Buckingham Rd, and Rte 10 and Jeff Davis)
Don Papa Grande (Rte 10 and Jeff Davis)
Central Park Deli (Rte 10 & Jeff Davis)
Chick Fil-A
Positive Vibes Cafe
Brock's BBQ
Crab Loui's (Sycamore Square)
Botega Bistro (near Ruth's Chris')
Hooters (both Chesterfield locations)
CiCi's Pizza (Jeff Davis)
Lowes
Home Depot
Wally World
SAM's
Dick's Sporting Goods
Ukrop's
Kroger's
American Family Fitness (Spring Run)
Commonwealth 20 Cinema (about a year ago)
Police Department
Council Chambers (public meeting room)
All Chesterfield Library branches
Jiffy Lube
Merchant's Tire & Auto (Hull St)
Town Police Supply (Hull & Courthouse) - great place for shooting goodies. Great prices and excellent staff (all either current or former LEO's).
Bob Moates Sport Shop
Dance's Sporting Goods
Greentop
Sheetz
Wa-Wa
Heritage Chevrolet
Whitlow Chevrolet
Chesterfield Dodge (name has changed)
Haley Ford (Jeff Davis)
Office Max
Reymet Credit Union

These are the only one's that come to mind right now, but "don't ask don't tell" is the best policy (don't phone ahead and ask). If anyone at a business notices and ask you to leave or take it outside, comply with their request or you can be charged with trespassing. Dress nicely (not formally, but not grungy either). Be polite, and not confrontational or arrogant. If you appear respectable you will be regarded as respectable and not a trouble maker.

Got Sig?

imported post

OK everyone bear in mind that these are just places that I have open carried and have not had any problems. I do know that none of them had posted anything against carrying on the premises, I don't think any of them have any official policy against it, but am not 100% sure. As I said before, if you look and act like a responsible adult when you OC anywhere they don't have a posted policy you shouldn't have any problems either, but there are bound to be exceptions to the rule. The posting in the forum about the Hampton Wal-Mart is a good example.

Be safe out there.

And for God's sake don't drink and carry, that's just asking for trouble.

jimwyant

imported post

I live in the Richmond area and OC 95+% of the time. I have had very few OC "encounters", and those I felt rated sharing are posted elsewhere in this forum. This morning, I had an appointment with a new eye doctor, required because my former doctor does not accept my new insurance plan. The new doctor I am speaking of is Dr. David T. Powell III, OD, whose practice is in the back half of Pearle Vision Center at 5010 Nine Mile Road in Richmond. The door is not posted in relation to firearms, and the registration process was uneventful. Dr. Powell called me back into the exam room, and as I was sitting down, he asked if I was a police officer. When I replied in the negative, without offering any additional information, he politely asked that I take my weapon outside. I told him that I don't do business where I am required to disarm, and after verifying that they would not attempt to charge my insurance, I politely left. I considered initiating a discussion, but I had just worked a 12-hour overnight shift in Durham, NC and driven three hours to get home. I didn't want to inadvertently be rude due to my fatigue level, so I opted to just leave. After some sleep, I wrote a one-page letter to the good doctor, briefly explaining why I do what I do. I will post a follow-up if I receive a reply.

cs9c1

imported post

I have started OCing more and more in the last few weeks.

A funny result of OCing is that I am no longer self conscious when I CC now. It seems like nothing to CC now, as before I use to worry that someone could tell I was carrying. Now I could care less.