• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Packing.org

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I don't think this is the usual breakdown of PDO. Its been down to long. My guess is that its either gone for good or being overhauled. But I have no inside info in any event.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Its back, allright, but as usual neither Mark nor the other administrators have explained wht the Hell has been going on. Does anyone know anything aside from the ususal rumors?

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

that place is so slow and biased that i gave up on it long ago. any time you ask a good question about oc you get flamed, anytime you tell someone something if it isnt in line with everyones opinion you get your post rated so they arnt seen, buncha BS over there. Its been here combatcarry and tacticalforums. done with pdo, pdo=pos.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The admins are united in claiming that Mark has not contacted them nor has he responded to emails,and in at least one case has not responded to phone calls.

It is a puzzling situation.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
that place is so slow and biased that i gave up on it long ago. any time you ask a good question about oc you get flamed, anytime you tell someone something if it isnt in line with everyones opinion you get your post rated so they arnt seen, buncha BS over there. Its been here combatcarry and tacticalforums. done with pdo, pdo=pos.

its not quite that bad.

If i had to guess, i'dsaymost of the flak is coming from ex-admins and people who have their own sites, or surrogates acting on their behalf (maybe w/o the site owner's knowledge). i think they figure they can drive traffic from pdo to these other sites.

there are a fair number of cop groupies and wannabes that haunt pdo as well, along with a lot of self-admitted experts whose opinions seem doomed to get someone killed or jailed.

the amateur lawyers there are bad news. they give some of the oddest legal advice.

drur

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
You are referring to the forums which are not necessarily the opinions of the site owners.

I use the site as a reference to navigate the myriad of CCW laws we face around the nation. I travel often and the site is invaluable to me. Although I am much more pro open carry, the fact of the matter is you must be well versed on concealed carry, as there are many more laws governing this issue than open carry. Most states are cut and dry on open carry. Not so with the concealed issue.

Gary Slider

imported post

The Admins at Packing.org are telling you the truth. Mark does not answer them. The site is just adrift. I do not believe that anyone is trying to run down Packing.org so they will leave Packing.org and view another site. Packing.org just demonstrates what will happen to any board when no one moderates a site. It doesn't matter what the site is about if no one has control of the site it will degrad into chaos.

What would happen if all Police are called off the street? We saw what happened in LA when the police were called off the steets. The same thing happens to anything that does not have someone in control.

Handgunlaw.us

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gary Slider wrote:
The Admins at Packing.org are telling you the truth. Mark does not answer them. The site is just adrift. I do not believe that anyone is trying to run down Packing.org so they will leave Packing.org and view another site.

Handgunlaw.us

There is at least one guy who is trying to do just that. I hope the sites he is recommending find out about it and repudiate him.

Since your site is one of the ones he is pushing, why not take the opportunity to post a message on your home page stating unequivocally you are not associated with this individual and do not support his actions to try and ruin PDO.

I was not on PDO when the forums were moderated but I gather the reason for the current system was the heavy handedness of the moderation. Prior to the forums being there I visited it only occasionally. The forums are what draws the traffic. People like to yak, and it is a good way to learn from each other.

Thereare a lot of complaints by one or two people about out of date information but it turns out most of it is the stupid worthless maps. If the state admins would just get rid of them, it would solve a lot of problems.

Most of the states seem to have active admins who do their best to keep up the state info, even though Mark seems to have inexplicably lost interest.

Gary Slider

imported post

Trolls want people to respond to them. Those on Packing.org don't respond to the troll who is making the same post on every thread. Me responding to him gives him credibility. I have responded to him via private Email and he has not answered me. Doing it in the open only helps him. I will not do that and give him credibility.

As for the Admins. The majority of pages at Packing.org don’t have an Admin period or have an Admin listed who is no longer associated with Packing.org. I was listed as the Admin for 22 State Pages when I left. There is info on the Alaska page about informing LEO’s that is not correct and can get someone arrested. PA, GA, ND and TX are 4 states I know of who have signed reciprocity agreements or have added other states to their reciprocity list that are not listed on Packing.org. I would estimate that there are 200 broken links on Packing.org. I use to check all 2900+ links on Packing.org every 90 days. They have not been checked since July of 2005. I found about 25 to 50 broken links every 3 months on Packing.org. You can check at the bottom of every state page and it will tell you when that page links were checked.

What you call the stupid maps can be removed by those Admins if they wish. It only takes the click of a mouse. They will not remove them. Over half the state maps are incorrect and can only be removed by Mark Solomon. I will tell you if the maps are removed there will be an outrage as most people like them as they are visual and you don’t have to go down a listing of states. Most people like them.

Since I resigned as Head Admin at Packing.org on Oct. 1, 2005 Mark has been approached by people offering help. He has not responded to them. He has offers to buy the site. He has not responded to him. Unless Mark responds to offers of help Packing.org will keep going down hill till it finally disappears. People say how terrible it is for the site to be going down hill and all that. I look at 5 years of work, ( Yes I did the vast majority of work on Packing.org) putting in 2000+ hours a year. I see all my work going down the drain. I was very proud to be part of packing.org when it was a professional web site. Now it is just a laughing stock.

Stay Safe, Gary Slider

Handgunlaw.us

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can understand a certain level of bitterness considering you spent as much time working for free on someone else's website as many people do on a fulltime job.

rabbit994

imported post

It's sad that PDO is so broken and Mark Solomon doesn't care. I wish he would just turn over whatever codebase runs the site and whatever domain name to someone and let it get back to it's full glory. Handgunlaw.us is ok but I don't like it's format. I'd like information broken down by state similar to PDO system. At least it's more current.