• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at a Safeway Distribution Center in Denver

Opie

imported post

Unfortunately, here is a story that illustrates the futility of laws restricting the right to carry.Today agunman killed one person and injured five others, including a police officer, at a Safeway distribution center in Denver.

Link to Yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060626/ap_on_re_us/safeway_shooting

Link to Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200910,00.html

I understand that Denver is refusing to recognize state preemption of right-to-carry laws. What is Denver's policy on open carry and concealed carry? I understand that open carry is illegal in Denver? -Opie

ProguninTN

imported post

I hate to say it, but as soon as I saw the headline, I immediately thought of the political climate. I read about the City/County of Denver's court case against the State of Colorado. Perhaps if the city wasn't hostile to the Second Amendment, somebody may have been able to do something ?

ProguninTN

The-Fly

imported post

CCW in Denver is still legal. From what i've heard, Safeway is NOT ccw friendly though. Percentage wise, only about 1% of Coloradans have a ccw permit, so most of the time a work place shooter has free reign until the cops show up.

Thats a huge reason why i DO ccw at work.

rwmorrisonjr

imported post

The-Fly wrote:
CCW in Denver is still legal. From what i've heard, Safeway is NOT ccw friendly though. Percentage wise, only about 1% of Coloradans have a ccw permit, so most of the time a work place shooter has free reign until the cops show up.

Thats a huge reason why i DO ccw at work.
Safeway is a California company, so that explains their anti-gun stance.

Anubis

imported post

Safeway may be a California-based company, but I don't think that's the reason for their anti-gun policy [added by edit: I refer to the policy for employees, not customers]. Any company big enough to have a legal department will have such a policy.

I have never worked for any company that did not have an anti-weapon policy for employees; I suspect that the only companies which allow employees tocarry, openly or concealed, are all small businesses owned by someone who appreciates the second amendment. Every gun shop I have entered had openly carrying employees; every chain storeselling gunshad none.

rwmorrisonjr

imported post

Mike wrote:
Safeway anti-gun? Huh?

I open carry in Safeways in FFX County and Alexandria, VA all the time. Nerver had a problem.
As did I when I lived in VA since the laws there are very gun owner friendly and make it hard for a store to stop you from carrying. Out here in CO the DEnver/Boulder area is a little different since you have lots of anti-gun folks and ultra liberal judges who act like this is CA. Once you get outside of the cities any type of carry is the rule, not the exception.