• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personalized Plates in Virginia?

1COOLPO

Opt-Out Members
imported post

It seems that any group of people can petition the Virginia DMV to get personalized plates as long as it is a reputable group and the numbers are there. Has anyone that is a member of VCDL ever thought of getting together a petition and design for a personalized vehicle tag. It would be pretty cool.

GlockMan

imported post

I certainly would join in on that. A little pistol icon on the plate would be nice. That would go along well with my VCDL and NRA stickers.

Got Sig?

imported post

As big a fan as I am of the VCDL (I am also a long time member), I don't like to advertise (that sounds silly on an Open Carry forum doesn't it?). One of my co-workers used to plaster pro-gun stickers all over his truck, until someone read his advertising and burglarized his vehicle several years back. He lost two pistols and about 100 rds of ammo.

I used to have NRA vanity plates on my truck myself, but I have since opted for the Scenic Patriot plate with the same characters. Now there is nothing on any of my vehicles that even hints at "possible gun onboard" except the rifle racks in my truck during hunting season.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have to second Got Sig, I don't think it pays to advertise on ones car. One its thief bait, two someone might falsely accuse you of brandishing, and three bumperstickers and plates never changed anyones mind. When was the last time you looked up what you saw on the back of someones car? That said, I will now show my hypocrisy by saying I might be tempted to get a VCDL plate if they ever have them made. It would go well with my Philip Van Cleave for Governor bumper sticker.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Got Sig? wrote:
As big a fan as I am of the VCDL (I am also a long time member), I don't like to advertise (that sounds silly on an Open Carry forum doesn't it?). One of my co-workers used to plaster pro-gun stickers all over his truck, until someone read his advertising and burglarized his vehicle several years back. He lost two pistols and about 100 rds of ammo.

I used to have NRA vanity plates on my truck myself, but I have since opted for the Scenic Patriot plate with the same characters. Now there is nothing on any of my vehicles that even hints at "possible gun onboard" except the rifle racks in my truck during hunting season.
This is a topic that comes up at VCDL meetings about once a year :)

Usually, the reasons against it are those you have voiced. Also, I believe you have to have 300 pre-paid orders into the state before they will do it.

Got Sig?

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I don't see it as thief bait, what criminals even know what the hell VCDL is?:D
While I agree that the stupider criminals might not know what the VCDL is, some of the more savvy ones might. One of the suggestions was a little pistol icon on the plate. That would be a dead giveaway.
:D

Another thing, and though we don't hear much about it around here, some police officers still don't think that the "average Joe" has any need to carry a weapon. Advertising one could make you a target for some low level police harassment. I am a former California Highway Patrolman (circa late 1970's) and I can tell you that even then there were quite a few cops that loved nothing more than making folks squirm.
:dude:

longwatch

imported post

You are right that few if any criminal know what VCDL is. I should clarify I was talking about the more obvious stickers out there, like "This car protected by Smith and Wesson" or "Driver only carries $20 of ammunition"

cs9c1

imported post

longwatch wrote:
You are right that few if any criminal know what VCDL is. I should clarify I was talking about the more obvious stickers out there, like "This car protected by Smith and Wesson" or "Driver only carries $20 of ammunition"
I LOVE the second one. Mainly because I traded the S&W for a Glock last year :D.

longwatch

imported post

attachment.php

Looks cool to me.

Attachments

• VCDL PLATE.GIF
    VCDL PLATE.GIF
    12.4 KB · Views: 416

VAopencarry

imported post

That $ ammo one is funny.....There are times when it is prudent to be discreet about your preference for the 2d Amendment.... For me, if I change my actions based on what I think they might do or think(criminal, LEO,etc) then I am letting them win!!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I really do have to question the "why advertise" school of thought.

Carrying openly is pretty obvious.

I figure it's better for criminals to know I'm armed than to think I'm an easy target.

So, my NRA license plate, my "It is your duty as an American to own a gun and know how to use it" bumper sticker, and my holster are a part of my life.

longwatch

imported post

My concern with advertising isn't that someone would know I have a gun. It's that they will come looking for one when I am not around.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It has been looked into and I cannot find the numbers, but basically you have to promise to sell x number of plates or the sponsoring organizations have to make up the difference.

I think I will stick with the VCDL MM (minute man) in the window..... :):):):)

1911guy

imported post

Got Sig? wrote:
longwatch wrote:
My concern with advertising isn't that someone would know I have a gun. It's that they will come looking for one when I am not around.
My concern exactly.
I think I am going to have to agree with longwatch and GotSig?. I don't like to advertise. That's why I got rid of my NRA plates.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

One of my cars has a bumpersticker that says "If you love your freedom you own a gun." I gave it some thought before putting it on the car because it clearly implies I at least own a gun, if not carry it. The first thing I noticed after putting it onis that there seemed to be alot fewer people tailgating me. Haha!

I was a little aprehensive that gun-unfriendly police might take notice of it (particularly when I drive to decidely gun-unfriendly locales, e.g. Chicago. But I've driven around Chicago a number of times and never had a problem. (Yes, I took my gun with me.) I've been stopped three times for speeding since I've had that sticker on. Never got a ticket. Only one LEO asked if I was armed, but that was because he saw my Florida permit when I was taking out my DL. I was going 83 in a 65 zone and he told me to have a nice day! (In Minnesota)

I do pay attention to make sure no cars are following me home to see where I live, but that's just good sense and an old habit anyway.

I do see in my rearview mirror when stopped that people behind me are often reading it, and in this left-wing town, I feel it's a good education for them.

I've only had two "incidents" during the years it's been on my car. Shortly after putting it on I was stopped at a red light and I was watching the car behind me, which had 4-5 high school age boys in it. The front passenger side one, tried to slide out the door and law crawl up behind my car, obviously with the intent of swiping my bumper sticker. The others were giggling, and I just kept one eye on the little shit though my side view mirror, until he was about to reach for the bumpersticker. I honked my horn and put the car in reverse. He jumped up and scrambled back to the car like a cat who had just fallen into the bathtub. His friend laughed their butts off. I turned around and shook my finger at them and scolded them "no no no!" (I thought afterward that if I had really wanted to mess with them I would have jumped out and held the kid at gunpoint and claimed he was clearly intent on carjacking me since he would have no legitimate explanation for trying to low crawl up to my car like that.)

The second incident was a note left on my car while grocery shopping, which I still have up in my office. It reads "You are an idiot. Oh please don't shoot."

Hahaha.... time will tell who is the idiot.

cs9c1

imported post

I like you post except for this part:

"(I thought afterward that if I had really wanted to mess with them I would have jumped out and held the kid at gunpoint and claimed he was clearly intent on carjacking me since he would have no legitimate explanation for trying to low crawl up to my car like that.)"

My pistol comes out of my holster for 4 things.

1. Self Defence

2. Practice

3. Cleaning

4. Lock up in the safe

And only once I took it out at workwith another experienced armorer for an "I'll show you mine if you show me yours".:DHe had a nice Sig.