• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personalized Plates in Virginia?

Tomahawk

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
That $ ammo one is funny.....There are times when it is prudent to be discreet about your preference for the 2d Amendment.... For me, if I change my actions based on what I think they might do or think(criminal, LEO,etc) then I am letting them win!!

Actually, if you put a pro-RKBA sticker on your car, it implies that you feel a need to send people a message that your rights will be defended, thus implying that someone is threatening those rights. Ergo, putting a pro-RKBA sticker on your car is an action based on what antis think.

If there were no threats to RKBA, there would be no opencarry.org, no VCDL, no NRA beyond a simple marksman training club, and no pro-RKBA stickers on any cars. Just a little logical puzzle to ponder...

I'm with the "don't advertise" folks. Not only do I not want people to break into my vehicle, but I don't want it vandalized or singled out on the highway by a cop. In fact, I don't want it to stand out much at all, just as a matter of personal privacy. So there are NO stickers or decals of any kind.

OC'ing is something I do only when I am present to make sure nothing gets stolen, and of course I can go CC when conditions merit. And while OC'ing is asking for attention, I don't wear a license plate on my ass to ID me to everyone who cares to look...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I am actually rethinking the don't advertise bit. I have the small round VCDL decal on my car, and a PVC for Governor sticker on my car and I haven't had any problems. From looking at the proposed plates, I'm thinking they are subtle enough not to tip off anyone too much. At least until they go look up what VCDL is. I'm also thinking that it's a very small risk because I've never heard of any crimes or other problems really atributtable to NRA or gun stickers. I'm not saying it's never happened but perhaps its akin to other myths (such as those leveled against open carry) that are really not true or highly overblown. Finally I think we collectively need to step up a notch our spreading the word about the RKBA, and thats why I will be getting VCDL plates when they are available.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
I like you post except for this part:

"(I thought afterward that if I had really wanted to mess with them I would have jumped out and held the kid at gunpoint and claimed he was clearly intent on carjacking me since he would have no legitimate explanation for trying to low crawl up to my car like that.)"
As was pointed out, it was a "thought" not a practice. I think of many things that I do not actually do. Bungee jumping comes to mind.

cs9c1

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
cs9c1 wrote:
I like you post except for this part:

"(I thought afterward that if I had really wanted to mess with them I would have jumped out and held the kid at gunpoint and claimed he was clearly intent on carjacking me since he would have no legitimate explanation for trying to low crawl up to my car like that.)"
As was pointed out, it was a "thought" not a practice. I think of many things that I do not actually do. Bungee jumping comes to mind.

Whats wrong with bungee jumping? Or Australian style of rappelling? :D

I didn't intend to say you would actually do it, I was just presenting my thoughts on the statement. God knows I would have been executed years ago had I done the things I would have liked to do to some people.

Attachments

• Rappelling.JPG
    Rappelling.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 207

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

LOL, nothing wrong with bungee jumping-- just not topping of my list on ways to get a kick. No problem with rappelling either! It has practical applications.

I've experienced enough adrenaline dumps into the system in my 50+ years that I have little need or urge to artificially induce a few more.

Nietzsche (probably never thought you'd see his name pop up in a gun forum except for the often quoted "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger") thought that the need forever-increasingly powerful stimulants was a sign of decadence. This concludes today's philosophy lesson. :cool:

zoom6zoom

imported post

The VCDL plates do look nice. I'd be torn about giving up my current tags, though - the last four digits are 3838 - so technically, I always have a pair of 38's with me!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
The VCDL plates do look nice. I'd be torn about giving up my current tags, though - the last four digits are 3838 - so technically, I always have a pair of 38's with me!

But for just another $10, you could personalize the plates too.

Just think of the possibilities <grin>

darrel_h

imported post

i know this is an off topic right now, with the manassas city council meeting and all, but i was curious, does anyone know where vcdl stands with the license plactes? i signed up on the list a while back and haven't heard anything more about it since. the required commitment is 300, right? anyone know how many we have so far? thanks in advance for the info.

darrel

SubXD-9

imported post

I just asked recently. If I remember correctly the answer was that they are up to 261 committed. And yes I am one of those.

SubXD-9

imported post

I forgot to say that we need to have 350 people signed up, not 300. 100 more should do it. Lets do it!

darrel_h

imported post

thanks sub, appreciate the info. only about 100 more people, huh? i'm actually kind of surprised myself. i'd figure with over what, 3500? members, that's only 10%, these would've went quick. but then again it did take me a little back and forth debate in my head before finally signing up. well, hopefully they'll get the required 350, i'll be waiting.

darrel