• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters and Accessories

panic215

imported post

Hey guys,

I thought it may be helpful to have a topic where we could talk about the various holsters and accessories we have tried in the past, what we liked / disliked about them, and maybe help others make an informed decision about which ones may what for them.

I myself have 3 holsters on their way;

1 Crossbreed Adjustable SuperTuck for my Springfield XD45 (IWB)
1 Brommeland Max Con X for my XD45 (IWB)
1 Brommeland Max Con X for myG27 (IWB)

I also have a 1 1/2" gunbelt ordered from Gary. I can't waituntil they get here. I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as they do.

Cheers,

Jason

tallwalker

imported post

Funny, I was just thinkng of posting for some advice on this subject, but think I will post what I have and what I want (I think!) for some input....

Baretta 92F with Galco Concealable Pancake
Glock 36 with Uncle Mike's IWB

Now... want a good leather paddle holster for OC. Galco (my preference) claims they don't have any plans for this gun. Only thing I have found close to what I want is the FIST paddle. Any comments about Fist? Seems to be fine quality.

cs9c1

imported post

This is a good idea

• Galco Cop 3 Slot pancake
  • BlackHawk CQC SERPA
Both for my Glock 27.

I wear the CQC more, due to it keeping thepistol closer to my side,I am much faster on the draw with it, and I love how the retention device puts your shooting finger in exactly the right spot for a proper draw. I wear the galco in uniform, since it is pretty difficult forthe tiny Glock to "print"while in that. Hell I could keep a Carbine under my uniform and no one would Know.:p

panic215

imported post

Tallwalker,

I saw a video somewhere on the net, demonstrating a guy who was wearing a Fist paddle holster. Another man came from behind, grabbing his gun, pushing down and rotating it, and the holster broke. He then had control of the original wearer's weapon. Just seeing that, I would be a little hesitant about it. All in all, I've heard FIST makes some good products. I really like some of their leather holsters. I'm just not big on the Kydex, although some people swear by them.

Cheers,

Jason

cs9c1

imported post

panic215 wrote:
You may be able to find it cheaper elswhere but this seems like a reasonable price.

Look around for one. I found mine for $20 at Quantico Marine Exchange. Unfortunately they quit carrying BlackHawk holstters. Fobus is OK but not in the same league as the CQC.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

My preference is the Forbus paddle. I carry a Bersa 380 or a Colt Gov 1911. I find they are stable and comfortable. In AZ it's HOT and the Forbus is light weight. I also like it because its open top andI can carry my 1911 cocked & locked and have quick, positive, full grip access if needed. The paddle allows for easy removal if I go somewhere OC is not allowed. It also is a high-ride so it's never in the way when sitting down and doesn't get in theway of the seatbelt in my truck.The hard outside is basically scratch-proof for daily carry. Its alsosmooth and neatand holds my side arm close in.

Arizona-Texan

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Hey guys, I'm just saying this because I'd hate to see someone get their gun snatched or worse. Fobus holsters are NOT safe for OC. Judge for yourself, but think about this, a lot of bad guys have seen the following video and know the Fobus holsters weakness. [quicktime=320,256]http://www.moveshoot.com/Media/Videos/gungrab.mpeg[/quicktime]

Stone

imported post

panic215 wrote:
Tallwalker,

I saw a video somewhere on the net, demonstrating a guy who was wearing a Fist paddle holster. Another man came from behind, grabbing his gun, pushing down and rotating it, and the holster broke. He then had control of the original wearer's weapon. Just seeing that, I would be a little hesitant about it. All in all, I've heard FIST makes some good products. I really like some of their leather holsters. I'm just not big on the Kydex, although some people swear by them.

I have seen that video, that is an old video.. And it was bunk! as that would never happen like that in real life!If someone was trying to take your gun you would not do what that good guy in that video did. ( Stand there with your thumb up your can) He let the guy get his hands on the gun.You would have to be walking around in the white zone in open carry. (Something that should never happen (one walking around in the white zone during open carry) If someone trys to take my gun they will have a real fight on their hands. I am sure anyone of you would do the same thing. Then both of them push down and rotate on the holster. Thebad guy would be trying to pull notpush. So what you saw in the video is not something that would ever take place. That was a Fobus holster. A very good friend of mine called Fobus while I was there and asked them about that video. They gave himto a guy that talked like the owner.He said that they have never had a holster taken off someone like that in real life. He went on to say that since that time they did go ahead and redesign their big holsters. (can't happen now) If anyone had the old holster to call in and get a RMA number and for $10.00 they would get you a newupdated holster. he also said that Fobus does have a life time warranty.

(They did not up date their little holster such as the one for the P11 Keltec.)

Stone

imported post

Sorry guys that video drives me nuts. One other thing, why would'nt the bad guy walk up and bash the good guy in the back of the head if he is that close? Then take his gun. If the bad guy was that close to you without you knowing about it, it does not matter how you are carrying your gun!

That video was made (for lack of a better term) without anyone shooting back.. (Like target shooting.) "Nice groups on your target but no one was shooting back"

Sorry again for going off!

longwatch

imported post

Stone I'd like to think you are right that it couldn't happen that way it does it the video. However think about it this way, that video is an instructional video for criminals now. I assume that they believe they can defeat the holster by using the method in the video. I don't know for certain but I believe that this weakness was discovered probably by accident by people practicing retention drills. Anyhow even if a holster breakaway isn't possible with new fobus do you think criminals will assume its impossible? I think they would still go for it.
As you seem pretty set on defending Fobus all I can say is good luck using it, I won't tell you to stop carrying with one. I'll just say that I will not bet my life on Fobus.

Stone

imported post

It is really a non issue as this video has been out a very long time and this type of gun grabb has never happened on a Fobus holster.. I will tell you why, the bad guy would rather cave in the head of the good guy then risk having to fight the good guy for his gun. Once the good guy is down then take his gun.. You are reading to deep into that video ( The bad guys are not using it for training, they can't tell a fobus paddle from a Uncle Mikes paddle.. I would even bet most of the folks on this forum if they saw one on some ones side can't either) and missing out on a fantastic battle proven holster that has been taken buy pros into harms way many times. You might not risk your life on it, butmany do every day.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I was a little upset when I first saw the video. I carry a Fobus with my Bersa 380. It's light weight and and I like the way the pistol snaps into place. You have to pull it out just at the proper angle to dislodge it. It's unlikely that someone sneaking up from behind you could pull your gun out of the holster. I like it because it's durable and looks fairly neat. I also like the high-ride because it doesn't interfere with my seatbelt in the truck and I can easily remove it if I have to go in somewhere guns are not allowed. I also tried carrying a Fobus with my .45 1911 but I didn't feel it was secure enough due to the size and weight of the larger handgun. Since seeing the video I don't think I'd just stand there if someone came up and tried to wrestle me for my gun. You should always be in condition yellow when open carrying. (see anarchangel's website: http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2005/04/mixed-drill.html). I was having a little trouble finding a nice leather holster for the Bersa 380 but Galco recently came out with the "Stinger" which I've ordered.The Fobus paddle was good as a concealed holster but itsalways better safe than sorry especially now that I open carry all the time.

Arizona-Texan

longwatch

imported post

I'm curious about which pros you speak of because most of the ones I have encountered sure don't use Fobus. Few instructors would encourage people to use Fobus. If I am over thinking the gun grab aspect of the video then all I am guilty of is being overprudent. Yet thinking that a Fobus is as good as other holsters, you may be showing an overconfidence in the quality of Fobus equipment.
The underlying reality of the video is indicative of at least the fact that the Fobus is a weak holster prone to breakage. I went looking for some data on the the video. What I found was a fair amount of people who had seen Fobus holsters get broken in CQB drills and in rough treatment. That kind of data alone should give one pause as to using a Fobus for serious social carry.

norahc

imported post

When I OC, I prefer to do so with a belt holster and not a paddleback. In addition, I prefer to use a holster with a thumb-break to minimize weapon retention concerns. For these reasons, I do not OC with a Fobus (although I own one) unless I am on the firing range.

jimwyant

imported post

For OWB CC, an open top holster is fine, whether leather with no retention devices, or a molded Fobus (or similar) rig with passive retention. They are small, light, and conceal well. I have OC'ed with these types of holsters, but am not comfortable doing so. As civilians, unless we frequent high-crime areas and/or OC at odd hours, we don't need Level II or III retention holsters, but I feel that some form of active retention is necessary. My preference is a traditional leather holster with a thumb break. I also like the idea behind the BlackHawk CQC™ SERPA, even though I haven't seen one in person yet.

I have two major problems with Fobus besides retention. Unless you're carrying a Glock or an XD, expect significant wear on the finish of your weapon if you unholster and reholster frequently. I ruined the finish on the slide of my H&K USP 40 by using a Fobus. Also, about the same time I noticed the ruined finish, I observed that the holster had started to loosen up and no longer retained the weapon properly. For a "combat-proven" product, I expected more, even if was inexpensive.

As others have stated elsewhere on OCDO, the recent "man robbed of OC gun" incident is a good argument for a holster with some kind of retention. We don't know what kind of holster was in use, and there were several other factors to consider, but it is possible that a different holster could have altered the outcome. My $0.02.

novaccw

imported post

The first holster I purchased was a Galco, IWB, Summer Comfort. I used it for concealed and open carry...but like Jimwyant, I didn't like the open top for OC. I bought a Blackhwawk belt holster with a thumb-break. It has snaps on the belt loops which makes it easy to put on and take off without removing the belt. I was nervous about the design at first, but after testing it with a friend, I discovered that it was really difficult to pull it off of the belt. I really like both of these holsters as far as comfort goes, depending on what I am wearing and what the situation is. I have to admit though, I haven't carried IWB for OC or CC since I got the OWB holster.