• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First run-in with an anti while open carrying

mzmtg

imported post

WARNING: The following account contains no pithy, hoplophobe-slaying remarks.

I was grocery shopping after work with my gun on my belt.

Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, "Sure."

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?" At least she had sense enough not to call it "that thing."

"I carry it to protect myself."

"Do you have a business card or anything?"

WTF? "No."

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"No."

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"Yes."

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, I carry it to protect myself."

"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

I finished up, chuckling, with, "I hope not."

With that, I just turned and went down the aisle, looking for the next item on my list.

Overall, pretty uneventful. Sure, there are TONS of smart azz comments I could have made at any point, but it wouldn't have done any good. I figured I'd do my part by being a clean cut guy, who isn't a cop, carrying a gun and not stirring up trouble.

Lew

imported post

Who do you need protection from? I don't think I could even formulate an answer to this absurd question. Haha, good work though. I'd say you handled it quite well.

JSK333

imported post

You probably wouldn't make any headway with someone of that sort.

But in the future a good reply would be, "Don't you watch the news?"

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I like it, simple, concise and hopefully makes them think and use their intuition.

cs9c1

imported post

Now see, this is what I like about this group. That was a very intelligent exchange with what could have been an explosive argument and "Guy with a gun" seen. I appreciate the post and learn from your experiences as well as my own. Thanks.

44Brent

imported post

I've only been asked questions by two people, mostly whom were just curious.

If someone became belligerent I would probably tell them that I consider their comments rude and ask them to leave me alone.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Had she asked me why I was carrying a weapon, I would have said "The reason is very personal. I'd prefer not getting into it with a perfect stranger". If she then pushed it any further, she'd be considered rude and socially inappropriate, so I could then just ignore her and move along.

Trying to explain or justify yourself to an anti is aggravating and pointless. Why waste your time?

VApatriot

imported post

I like this answer.

"The same reason that the police do. To protect myself and the people around me."

I don't think that there is any problem saying that.It is not rude, evasive or too personal, and it is the truth.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

by reading this exchange it was totally obvious that she was just trying to put mz on the defensive and make him justify his carrying. If she was truly unnerved by the sight of someone carrying you can rest assured that the police would have been called. I can only assume that the only reason that the cops were NOT called is because she's done it before and probably chastised by the police that what she's calling about is perfectly legal and that she doesn't think it should be.

novaccw

imported post

I really have been spoiled in Virginia...even though I live in Alexandria!! I haven't open carried in a while (have been CCing lately because I haven't wanted to tuck my shirts...I carry IWB), but I think I will this weekend. I have never had one person ask why I am carrying. I have had plenty of nice conversations with folks in line at the grocery store while checking out and I even posted about a British guy who came up to me in Costco (in Arlington) to ask about a rugby t-shirt I was wearing...all while OCing...no problems.

I sometimes wish I would be met with some resistence...especially in a crowded place...just so I could be nice, calm, and rational in explaining my position. Just as in this case...most anti's are very volitile and it only takes common sense and logical thinking to get them fired up!! My hat is off to you for the way you handled the situation!!

Stay safe and God Bless!!

molonlabetn

imported post

If I'm reading her initial tone correctly, my first and only response to her question:

"Why are you carrying that in here...?"

Would be:

"I have my own reasons for taking on this responsibility... Thank God for this free country we live in!... Don't you agree?"

I will not be interrogated, but I will gladly rebut a hostile question in a tactful manner. And I will only discuss my personal business on my terms.

molonlabetn

ProguninTN

imported post

Lots of good responses I see. I will add one. When she asked, "whom do you need protection from ?", I might have responded "The same criminals that the police must deal with". As I am a security guard, and I must deal with unsavory characters sometimes.

ProguninTN

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

maybe it's just me but it seems that everyone is missing the point of her confrontation. She wasn't the least bit interested in anything other than trying to put him on the defensive and make him try to justify carrying. A true anti.

By hinting that she was 'unnerved', she was trying to make the case that he was alarming the public, but anyone that was TRULY 'unnerved' would not have confronted a man with a gun, they would have called the police.

jegoodin

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
maybe it's just me but it seems that everyone is missing the point of her confrontation. She wasn't the least bit interested in anything other than trying to put him on the defensive and make him try to justify carrying. A true anti.

By hinting that she was 'unnerved', she was trying to make the case that he was alarming the public, but anyone that was TRULY 'unnerved' would not have confronted a man with a gun, they would have called the police.

I'm from Virginia, where I OC and CC frequently, but I was in PA a couple weeks ago and due to the heat and humidity I was OC'ing. A gentleman that perhaps a few too many to drink starts yelling as he approached me on the sidewalk, "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?" He continues, "I have a gun and I don't carry it." And he continued to rant as he walked past me and down the street. His wife turned around as they passed and silently mouthed, "I'm sorry."

I basically ignored him and kept on talking to the person I was talking to on the sidewalk, but turning my weapon side away from him as he passed, just in case he wasn't just drunk, loud, and obnoxious, but had a death wish too.

Two points I guess:

- You don't have to be completely anti (I believe that he did own a handgun) to make a scene and ask "the question".

- They really have to be stupid. If theytruly perceive a threat why would they callattention to themselves. If Iam a danger to them why start something they obviously can't finish and I can. And if I'm the really nice guy that I am, why hassle me?

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I am getting use to this open carry thing (in my car only). I have not gotten use to the open carry out and about (I grew up in Chicago, and, you will get serious years for just thinking about a gun, so give me time to adjust.....damn Demoncrats......yes, I did spell it right)! I got asked tonight at a stoplight from a cabbie, "Is that a real gun on the dash (referring to my 1988 Witness TZ-75)?" "Oh yeah," I responded.

I applied for my CCW which I have had for about a month (just so I can go from OC to CC andbe legal) and it is great. I don't worry about things that I use to any more. However, VA needs that "Stand Your Ground" Law, and fast. I don't want to have to back into a corner before I consider using DF. I might trip and fall, drop my gun, the bad guy gets my gun, and they shoot me with with it. They also need the "Castle Doctrine" Law, too (if they don't already)!

2nd Amendment....use it, or, lose it!!!';)

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Ok, how does one go about adding an avatar under his name? :D

Ah, HA! Did it. But, wow, that is really small!

ne1

imported post

"Are you a cop?"

"No, are you?"

"No...."

"G'day, ma'am."

XD Owner

imported post

Comment: You know, what you are doing is illegal in Texas!

Reply: Thank god, I'm in Virginia!

(True encounter.)