• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First run-in with an anti while open carrying

apjonas

imported post

Why are you carrying a handgun?

Because my Glock doesn't know how to walk yet.

or

The poor little guy is just all tuckered out.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

apjonas wrote:

or

I hope these types of comments are just jokes, perhaps by folks who don't OC - one of the major upsides to OC is the opportunity to have encounters with the public - other people will be observing your encounter and will take away an appropriate impression from smart alec responses like above.

Best type of resonse to "Why are you carrying?" questions, regardless of their tone, is a sort of friendly nonchalant comment spoken softly like "Oh, you know, just normal citizen carry for self defense. Are you a gun owner?"

exgabrit

imported post

I've just got my GFL . Carry my Glock 17 in a Blackhawk CQC holster pretty much everywhere.
Right now I'm still getting used to it as it's my first firearm (I originally came from Britain and pre-gun ban I attended a gun club on a weekly basis), I also carry concealed right now as I'm not ready to deal with people wigging out.
Any case, I think that on one hand we should be mindful of others around us and where possible carry concealed. I'm a computer programmer and thus, dress casual, but clean. Open carrying, people around me should see that I'm presentable, of a decent demenoir and carrying a practical sidearm. That I think is the key to open carry, the image you present to others, professional and non threatening. If you dress like a gang banger and act like a yob, even if you are behaving, then you are for trouble.
But like 'mzmtg' has found, you do get people that are just wanting to point fingers as if you are a leper. Little do they think that if push comes to shove, its the armed among us that could make the difference between a loony ak47 carrying mall shooter killing that individual or getting to be able to walk away and be with their family. its a situation that no one would want thrust into, but one we may face. ok, i'm done with the soap box.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Mike wrote:
apjonas wrote:

or

I hope these types of comments are just jokes, perhaps by folks who don't OC - one of the major upsides to OC is the opportunity to have encounters with the public - other people will be observing your encounter and will take away an appropriate impression from smart alec responses like above.

Best type of resonse to "Why are you carrying?" questions, regardless of their tone, is a sort of friendly nonchalant comment spoken softly like "Oh, you know, just normal citizen carry for self defense. Are you a gun owner?"
Mike the proselytizer! :D

340mopar

imported post

Now truth may be... She was jus trying to get you to make a move, so she could draw down on you first....

You know Grandma might be packin too, and who would the cops belive you the young fisty wipper-snapper, or sweet beloved Granny?

lol, patience, glad you have them....

Boomer654

imported post

I guess I would ask her "Do you own a car?"

"Yes"

"Do you carry insurance on your car?"

"Yes"

"Why? do you expect to have a wreck? I carry a firearm to be prepared, the same reason I have automobile and homeowners insurance."

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Why do you carry a gun? 'Cause the Sheriff's too heavy! 'Used that more'n once.

I also recite Art 26 of the Arizona Constitution from memory:

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves or the state shall not be impaired."

No LEO hassle... ever! OC's been the norm here sinceforever.

officerjdc

imported post

Boomer654 wrote:

"Yes"

"Yes"

"Why? do you expect to have a wreck? I carry a firearm to be prepared, the same reason I have automobile and homeowners insurance."
I have never been asked "the question" while OCing, but I have used a similar analogy where I compare carrying a weapon to carrying a spare tire in my car to people I know who have questioned my OCing when I've told them about it. A few undecided people have understood it when I put it that way.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let me play with this some:)

Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, "Sure." Same reply

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?" At least she had sense enough not to call it "that thing."

"I carry it to protect myself." Because no one said I can't

"Do you have a business card or anything?"

WTF? "No." NoWhy

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"No." NOPE

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"Yes." YEP

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, I carry it to protect myself." Have you seen how many nuts are in this world today?

"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

I finished up, chuckling, with, "I hope not."Sorry ma'am that you feel this way. but you do not have to worry about me harming you in any way. take care

With that, I just turned and went down the aisle, looking for the next item on my list.

Overall, pretty uneventful. Sure, there are TONS of smart azz comments I could have made at any point, but it wouldn't have done any good. I figured I'd do my part by being a clean cut guy, who isn't a cop, carrying a gun and not stirring up trouble.
You did Perfect

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mzmtg wrote:
WARNING: The following account contains no pithy, hoplophobe-slaying remarks.

I was grocery shopping after work with my gun on my belt.

Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, "Sure."

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?" At least she had sense enough not to call it "that thing."

"I carry it to protect myself."

"Do you have a business card or anything?"

WTF? "No."

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"No."

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"Yes."

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, I carry it to protect myself."

"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

I finished up, chuckling, with, "I hope not."

With that, I just turned and went down the aisle, looking for the next item on my list.

Overall, pretty uneventful. Sure, there are TONS of smart azz comments I could have made at any point, but it wouldn't have done any good. I figured I'd do my part by being a clean cut guy, who isn't a cop, carrying a gun and not stirring up trouble.
You should have stuck around and continued the engagement. she might have been "hitting " on ya.

unnerved? I think she was coming into heat! :shock:

MetalChris

imported post

Boomer654 wrote:

"Yes"

"Yes"

The only thing I don't like about the insurance argument is in most states it is against the law to be uninsured...

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Remember the panic/outrage when a company came out with speeding ticket insurence....
Ohh, you will cause people to speed, but I never hear complaints that fire insurence
causes people to burn down thier homes.

+1 for the "chuckle I hope not"

denthack

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the insurance argument is in most states it is against the law to be uninsured...

Most States require "Liability" Insurance... that protects anyone whom you may hit.

However most all of us carry Comp and Collision Insurance to protect our financial interests.

Of course some may own a vehicle that is not worth enough financially to justify the expense of insuring it. It's up to each of us to determinewhat point you decide if you or your family's life are worth the cost of "Insuring" it.

Note the difference between Ensuring and Insuring. Auto Insurance "Protects" your financial interests, it does not Ensure you will not be involved in an accident. Responsibly choosing to carry a firearm gives you an extra level of protectionfor you and your family's interests, namely the most important thing you have, your life!

us_soldier

imported post

My buddy was open carrying at a gas station in Indiana and got haulted by a Police Officer. My friend showed the Officer his permit. The Officer then explained to my friend that "Some people are intimmidated by civilians with guns." My friend politely replied, "Some people are intimidated by Police that open carry aswell sir."

aquinob1

imported post

I'm in the military and currently on leave here in McDonough. Being that I live in Virginia, I am VERY spoiled. I OC everywhere and don't ever get a second look. I OC down here and it feels like everyone is staring but it doesn't even bother me. When people ask questions, I take it as an opportunity to educate people.

Not so much in Georgia I guess because you need a permit to OC anyway but you do not need a permit to OC in Virginia and many, many people do not know that or don't believe me when I tell them.

Hell, I had my .45 for almost 3 weeks and OC'd the entire time while I was waiting for my permit to get back.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe a month ago or so, someone asked me if I was expecting trouble, after seeing my sidearm on my belt. Not an anti, but more inquisitive.

I calmly said, "Well, no not really. But I don't figure that anyone at VT was expecting trouble the day 32 people were killed and more wounded, same for those kids at Columbine, or those soldiers at Ft Hood the other day."

I could tell by the expression on the lady's face that I had set the gears turning in her head. A very serious look came to her face, as she looked to others that were standing there.

I then told her that, "I carry my gun to be prepared in the event the "unexpected" ever occurs, So that I might be able to keep from being a victem and prevent others from becomeing one too.

With that I could tell that reality had nipped at her. Before I left she was inquiring about what she'd have to do to get a HCP. I could tell at looking at some of the others that were standing around that they were thinking about "the unexpected" as well.

I can't say that I've run across an anti yet. Most people have just been inquisitive.

M

McX

imported post

she asked you for a business card? what relevance does that have to anything in her encounter with you? sounds like she was fishing for anything she could get to hang around your neck. if you would have provided it she would have probably called your employer to complain about you.

imported post

mzmtg wrote:
I avoid using the term 'weapon.' I own no 'weapons.' I do own firearms though but I own and possess no 'weapons.'

The average 75 IQ member of the public needs to be reprogrammed from the anti-firearm term 'weapon,' to the proper and non-threatening term 'firearm.'

Not sure how many have thought about the use of these two terms and what they do to the psyche of the uninformed. Those in authority who use the term 'weapon' do so to instill and perpetuate fear in the general public and work to create an anti-firearm mentality whenever possible.

mzmtg

imported post

ColMustard wrote:
mzmtg wrote:
I avoid using the term 'weapon.' I own no 'weapons.' I do own firearms though but I own and possess no 'weapons.'

The average 75 IQ member of the public needs to be reprogrammed from the anti-firearm term 'weapon,' to the proper and non-threatening term 'firearm.'

Not sure how many have thought about the use of these two terms and what they do to the psyche of the uninformed. Those in authority who use the term 'weapon' do so to instill and perpetuate fear in the general public and work to create an anti-firearm mentality whenever possible.
Your mind is the weapon.

The gun, knife, fist, stick, rock, cup of coffee, shoe, nail clippers, bottle of shampoo containing more than 3 fluid ounces, rabid raccoon, etc are all just tools.