• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster & wallet on same side?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I worry at times about my holster being on the same side as my wallet.

One of many examples, when you reach back for the wallet ata store. Will the clerk/cashier/other customers think you may be reaching for the gun?

...Just curious what other fellow OC'ers think about this.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am not an OC, being as i live in the PRIL, but I feel compelled to suggest moving either the gun or the wallet if your current arrangement bothers you.

JSK333

imported post

I mentioned in another post that I moved my wallet to the weak side for just this reason. Although I conceal most often, I still feel it is better to have it on the opposite side as the handgun.

What made me do it is when I had to tell an officer I was carrying concealed, then reached for my wallet to show him my license. He held his hand up and said "don't reach for anything!" Then I realized how stupid what I did was. From then on I carried my wallet on the left side.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I have gotten into the habit of carrying my wallet in my right front pocket instead of my back pocket so as to not be reacing under the firearm to retreave my wallet. never had a problem with people being uneasy about me going for my wallet. I think 80% of peoples comfort level is derived directly from one's demeaner, and apperence.

molonlabetn

imported post

When I open-carry, both are on strong-side... When I conceal, I put it wherever it is most comfortable, which is sometimes on my weak-side.

Yeah, one would be well advised to be careful where your hands go, during an LEO encounter! :shock:

molonlabetn

jimwyant

imported post

I was out and had to stop at a Wal-Mart near the "bad part of town" a few months ago, carrying openly, as I nearly always do. Due to a complaint from a "concerned" customer who saw my weapon but no badge or uniform, management sent the LEO who was working security to come talk to me. They instructed him to ask me to either conceal the weapon if I had a CHP, or to remove the weapon from the store if I didn't. As we spoke, I had my hands in front of me and above my waist, as is my normal stance. The entire exchange was pleasant, even friendly, and when he asked if I had a CHP, I responded in the affirmitive without moving my hands. I intentionally kept my hands still as I asked him if he wanted to see my CHP. Only after he said yes did I move. I then immediately made the natural movement required to remove my wallet, which I carry strong side, directly behind my weapon, and presented my CHP and ID. There was no reaction by the LEO. The point I'm making is this: Carrying both your wallet and weapon strong side can, but does not automatically present a problem if approached by law enforcement. The situation will depend on your demeanor, the tone of the encounter and and the LEO involved. A little common sense will go a long way. I still carry both strong side.

jimwyant

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
jimwyant wrote:
I was out and had to stop at a Wal-Mart near the "bad part of town" a few months ago, carrying openly, as I nearly always do.
Which Wal-Mart are you talking about?
The one at 7901 Brook Road in Richmond. They claimed it was near the bad part of town, and "with all the gang-bangers in the area, they preferred no visible weapons in the store", like that makes any sense. I don't know the neighborhood. When I need to go to Wal-Mart, I usually go to the one in Mechanicsville, where I believe every employee has seen me OC at least twice, with no issues - only the occasional, "Where do you work?". On the night in question, we had just finished shopping at Lowes, (the nearest one to my home being the one in the parking lot next to Wal-Mart). As we were leaving, my wife mentioned some things she wanted from WM, so we went next door instead of making another stop in Mechanicsville on the way home.

cs9c1

imported post

I may have to test them out. A Wal-Mart employee asked if I was a cop yesterday in Mechanicsville. LOL. First time anyone said anything too me.

"With all the gang-bangers in the area, they preferred no visible weapons in the store".

What a dumb ass statement. The odds are more in the favor of nothing happening if the "gang-bangers" see averagecitizen open carrying.

Back on subject, I wont have much choice on what side I carry my wallet. When I have surgery on my left shoulder on Friday, both wallet and holster will be on the right hip. I guess I could set up my holster for cross draw and put it on my left side:p.

jimwyant

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
"With all the gang-bangers in the area, they preferred no visible weapons in the store".

What a dumb ass statement. The odds are more in the favor of nothing happening if the "gang-bangers" see averagecitizen open carrying.
That was my feeling, and the LEO agreed, but I didn't feel like wasting my time trying to make that point to the manager on duty. I simply untucked my t-shirt, finished my business, and everyone was happy.

Hope your surgery goes well!

alexander hamilton

imported post

when i oc it is with wallet in right front and pistol at 3:00. both are strong side but i am able to manipulate either one independently of the other.

DeerForce1

imported post

Well i guess i'll go completely against the grain on this 1. I carry myfirearm on my strong (right) side between 3 & 5 o'clock depending on the pants i'm wearing & my wallet in my weak side FRONT pocket. Never really thought about wallet & firearm position being an issue it's just that i started carrying my wallet that way long before i started carrying a gun.........................................................DF1

MADISON

imported post

YES, carrying a wallet and holstered handgun on the same side have always [46 years] been a problem. Have you ever gone through the check out line at Wal-Mart [An example] and had to reach and move your holster to get to your wallet?

twobitshooter

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I am a weirdo, since the first time I carried a wallet I have carried it on my weakside.
I'm with you on this so don't feel so weird. My reasoning is that I'm left handed, and in the private school I went to, I had to wear slacks. Many slacks don't have a left-back pocket, so I just got in the habbit of putting it in my right-back. However, sometimes if I'm in a crowd or in a shady part of town, I'll move my wallet to my front-right.

kimber1911.45

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I worry at times about my holster being on the same side as my wallet.

One of many examples, when you reach back for the wallet ata store. Will the clerk/cashier/other customers think you may be reaching for the gun?

...Just curious what other fellow OC'ers think about this.

At any piont in time I try to have my Wallet/id opposite from where my firearm is located. I prefer my wallet/id in my left breast pocket of my shirt ( cuz I don't wear shoulder rigs). Or with crossdraw I might have it ( ID ) in right backpocket of my Levi's

If I am approched OCing and/or Concealing by a LEO I say right strongside carry and id in left breast pocket the LEO feels a little bit better. (and any civilian cannot state that I was "grabbing for my gun" when I was reaching for my Id:shock:

My two Cents:?

"with Great Power comes Great Responsibility"