• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Holster...Dress it up / Dress itdown

panic215

imported post

Hey guys,

Just wonderin'. When looking for an OC holster, do you:

Dress it up: Look for something that really makes a statement, such as the exotics, that look nice, like an expensive pair of dress shoes.

Or

Dress it down: Something that isn't to flashy, doesn't draw attention and blends with what you normally wear.

Just wondering. If we could OC here in Texas, I think I would get a nice crocadile holster that looked real nice and professional. I think it may draw people to ask more questions and give people the impression that you care about how you present yourself.

Is this off base or crazy?

Jason

molonlabetn

imported post

My #1 concerns in a holster which I use to OC,are fit and retention... After that I prefer a holster that blends in with what I wear:

Dark pants/jeans + patterned or dark-solid shirt + black belt = Blackhawk SERPA CQC

Dressy pants & shirt + Tan or saddle-brown leatherbelt = Don Hume 721

I don't try to catch attention, but I do like to look as natural with the holster and gun, as possible!

molonlabetn

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

as molonlabetn said to me it dosnt much matter what it looks like as long as it hold my sidearm securly and is comftortable, I mostly dress around my gun since i wear almost the same thing everyday its not hard.

point is dont carry in a drop leg holster it just looks stupid and there uncomfortable.

ProguninTN

imported post

I would say that retention is very important. I was subjected to a training film where a holster was ripped apart with bare hands. Fortunately, this was just two guys showing what could happen. If it had been real, somebody would have lost his gun. So, I say listen to molonlabetn.

ProguninTN

panic215

imported post

I believe I saw the same clip. It was a Fobus Paddle holster if I remember correctly. Just stresses the point that you should really evaluate your gear before you stake your life on it.

Jason

cREbralFIX

imported post

Amazingly enough, I put on a nice leather holster when I'm wearing a polo-type shirt or better. The holster and mag carrier MUST match; my wife gets upset otherwise.

Otherwise, it's a cheap IWB or Blade-Tech and a generic leather mag holder.

ManInBlack

imported post

panic215 wrote:
I'm with you Crebralfix. If OC were legal here in TX, I'd "dress it up" or the wife would scold me :(
Most definitely. Right now I have a generic black "Sidekick" holster that doesn't do my Colt Trooper justice. When I get some more cash together, I definitely plan on picking up a real nice leather gunbelt/holster combo. Appearance and demeanor is everything when it comes to open carry. If it looks like you're supposed to be doing what you're doing, the vast majority of the "sheeple" won't question it.

cREbralFIX

imported post

ManInBlack wrote:
panic215 wrote:
I'm with you Crebralfix. If OC were legal here in TX, I'd "dress it up" or the wife would scold me :(
Most definitely. Right now I have a generic black "Sidekick" holster that doesn't do my Colt Trooper justice. When I get some more cash together, I definitely plan on picking up a real nice leather gunbelt/holster combo. Appearance and demeanor is everything when it comes to open carry. If it looks like you're supposed to be doing what you're doing, the vast majority of the "sheeple" won't question it.
For some really nice leather holsters, check out Del Fatti, Mernickle Custom Holsters, Milt Sparks (#200AW with decorations), and Tucker Gun Leather.

You may want to look at Kydex. Though not as pretty, it is certainly tough and fast on the draw.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

fit, retention, comfort, price... all concidered I like my blackhawk CQC. It's fast to draw, light weight, double retention, adjustable, and nicely priced. Also complements my 1911 nicely. Normally carried on an uncle mikes nylon gun belt over regular belt line. haven't had a problem with the combo yet.

When CCing, normally carry in Don Hume IWB leather. As comfortable IWB as I was able to find reasonably priced for a full size 1911

novaccw

imported post

I just got my first OWB holster...a Blackhwak with a thumb-break. It has a neat feature...the belt loops snap on and off on one side, making it possible to take off and put on without removing the belt. I was a little worried about retention, but after testing it realized it was not really an issue. I have always carried IWB in a Galco Summer comfort which is comfortable but can get really sweaty. The OWB also conceals better than I thought it would (for when I conceal). The other plus with the OBW is that you can wear your belt nice and snug without actually squeezing the gun tighter to your body...this can get uncomfortable with an IWB.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

The general sentiment here in AZ seems to be that the person and the holster look professional - neat, trim, confident - and generally give the impression that carrying an open side arm is "no big deal." The idea is that it's a way of life. It is common and accepted. This is especially true with the influx of lots of newcomers to AZ. A lot of folks from other states (esp. California) are moving out here and they are not used to seeing common, everyday folks walking around with a pistol at their side. I have seen a few guys with long barrel giant.44 mags hanging down in front of their pants sticking out of a cross draw holster and a bandoleer of ammo hanging around their neck dressed in dirty clothes with a wild-eye, mean-facedlook like they are just waiting for the chance to pull their hog-leg and blast something. But the general consensus seems to be a nice strong-side holster and a neat, calm, polite, but confident aire. I carry either a Bersa 380 or a Colt Government 1911. Both are in Forbus open top holsters for quick and positive C&Lretrieval if needed. Of course I always wear my cowboy hat (I'm a transplanted Texas Panhandle cowboy) and a nice pair of Wranglers. Walmart seems to be the Open Carry gathering place around here. Its not uncommon to come across a dozen or more folks at any given time of day or night OC in Walmart. I've considered a leather holster but I like the high-ride and comfort of the Forbus. It doesn't get tangled up in the seatbelt in thetruck and it's a paddle so I can remove iteasily if I go somewhere OC is not allowed. It doesn't get scratched up either from daily wear and tear. Well - that's my two-cents.

Arizona-Texan

dtintn

imported post

Personally I like to dress it up when I can. This is my daily carry rig, concealed under a shirt with dirty shorts, or open carry looking good in my Sunday best.

Attachments

• IMG_0040_1-sized.jpg
    IMG_0040_1-sized.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 274
A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Dtintn - that's a nice looking holster! Is that a custom rig? I like it!

Arizona-Texan

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I broke down and bought a new holster for my Colt Government .45 1911 since I've started OCing it all the time. I also got the matching mag holder. It's a Gould & Goodrich. Very comfortable and a perfect fit.

Attachments

• Gould & Goodrich 1911.jpg
    Gould & Goodrich 1911.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 408

american-kiwi

imported post

Hi Arizonatexan.....i live in the southeast of AZ...Sierra Vista.....i open carry" ALL" the time....i use uncle mike or fobus.....i carry ruger P95PR...or S&W 629-1 6"...i always try to druss up while carrying.......but down here no-one ever asks anything about carrying!....LEO's never look down at your sidearm.......the only time i have ever been asked ,what i was doing carrying a gun?....this was in wal-mart....lady at the checkout....says....you shouldnt be carrying that in here!....i said...you must be from out of state?...yes i am...she said....im from CA....lol....get used to it i said....like arizonatexan says...wal-mart is a meeting place for all the open carry people in town/AZ.....i have to say...it is funny watching the faces of Mexicans that come over the border to go shopping there....they cant believe it...they always stand back from you...lol...kids eyes pop...lol.....as you can see by my user name...im from New Zealand.....where cops dont even wear guns!....it was a eye opener for me too when i came here!!...

John in AZ

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Hi John. We live in Kingman, AZ. I think it may have something to do with where you live and how rural the area is. I OC everywhere I am legally allowed and I have yet to have any negative experiences - except one. That was in Bullhead City down on the Colorado River. The manager of Sams Club informed me that Sams Club had a "policy" against open carry. I politely debated the issue with him and afterwards made some inquires but got the royal run-around. So I just CC in Sams now. But Bullhead has a lot of Californians moving in and you meet few people who are actually from AZ there. Kingman is a different story. It's like you said - no one hardly notices. Actually - I've had several good comments and several opportunities for good positive education.

I still believe that we should give a good impression when OCing and dress and manners are the best way to do this.

BTW - welcome to the forum! This is a great place!

Arizona-Texan