• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in 4th of July Parade

rotten_newbie

imported post

I was thinking about open carrying in my float at the town's 4th of July parade. What do you all think?

I've never open carried before, so is it best to have a holster with thumb break or is it okay to use my comp-tac CTAC?

tallwalker

imported post

Don't know what state you are in, but in LA the law specifically excludes "parades which have been issued a permit" as a place we can carry. Might want to check to be sure in any case. Personally, I tend to avoid large groups of people. Makes me nervous, and I worry about heightened LE security triggering a panic of some sort where things could get out of control real quick.

molonlabetn

imported post

rotten_newbie wrote:
I was thinking about open carrying in my float at the town's 4th of July parade. What do you all think?

I've never open carried before, so is it best to have a holster with thumb break or is it okay to use my comp-tac CTAC?

It would be smart to check with the manager of the float or parade, before you do that!

Is there a particular reason that you want to make this your first OC experiance? I'm not criticizing, but you have piqued my interest! I OC regularly, but like tallwalker said, I tend to avoid large groups while carrying (actually, I avoid large groups, period!).

molonlabetn

overtaxed1

imported post

By no means am I a legal know-it-all or lawyer, but I don't recall reading anything in the Utah laws prohibiting carrying at a parade (I intend to carry on the 4th, but concealed due to large crowds to ensure my firearm is secure).

Your decision may be based a lot on which city/town this parade is going to take place. In SLC, probably not a good idea (psycho Libs might run away or throw stuff or have you taken out by SWAT-lol); more rural areas...probably okay.

I am not sure if open carry in this situation is appropriate to spread a good message about firearms, unless the float's theme is related to firearms. I don't know what to say - I like the idea of showing US citizens that right to bear arms is important, but the backlash might do more damage.

Sorry, if my thoughts are contradictory, but I have mixed feelings. Please tread lightly and let us know how it goes if you follow through and open carry.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

rotten_newbie wrote:
I am into Cowboy Mounted Shooting and I rode in two different parades with other club members this weekend and we were loaded for bear; two sidearms each and rifles in scabbards :shock:

The only problem we had were kids running out in the street to pet my 18.2 hand belgian mare and one local LEO who argued that she was a Morgan (he was wearing a Class III vest in 100 degree heat, so he was probably delirious :))

overtaxed1

imported post

jpierce wrote:
rotten_newbie wrote:
I am into Cowboy Mounted Shooting and I rode in two different parades with other club members this weekend and we were loaded for bear; two sidearms each and rifles in scabbards :shock:

The only problem we had were kids running out in the street to pet my 18.2 hand belgian mare and one local LEO who argued that she was a Morgan (he was wearing a Class III vest in 100 degree heat, so he was probably delirious :))
Jpierce, your post sort of helps my point. IMHO it is perfectly okay to open carry in a cowboy-themed or similar display, but I wonder about the appropriateness of open carry on a children's themed display. Maybe I am too cautious, but I worry about the anti's using a "gun-nut wearing a gun on a children's float" as fuel for their cause and bad press for all of us. I say go for it as long as you are comfortable and feel it is in good-taste.

On a side note, I've been open carrying more and more without any incident. I still get some interesting looks (maybe I've always gotten these looks, but just wasn't as concerned so I didn't pay attention), but haven't received the felony-arrest treatment yet.

VApatriot

imported post

I would like to know more about the specifics of this float and parade, but I don't see how it could hurt the cause of open carry. I think that a parade would be a good publicplace to increaseawareness about OC.

Plus, the 4th has got to be the best day of the entire year to publiclyshow support for the right to keep and bear arms. Itis a great dayto remind people that if it weren't fora bunch of crazy gun nuts 230 years ago, it would be safe to saywe wouldn't be waving the same flag today. And, if crazy gun nuts don't proudly stand up today, it is safe to say that we won't be waving the same flag 230 years from now.

God bless the Second Amendment, and God bless America!

Have a safe and happy Independence Day.

rotten_newbie

imported post

Well, I didn't end up open carrying. The earlier comments and my wife persuaded me not to, but my brother-in-law open carried all day. Happy Independence Day!

My float was just me and my employees advertising our business. I was actually sitting down most of the time, so no one would have seen me carry anyway.