Thread: Why Texas does not honor Alabama's CHL

Post imported post

Does anyone know why Texas does not honor Alabama's CHL?

I'm originally from Alabama and travel there often. I would like to be able to carry while visiting. Alabama's policy is that it will honor any States CHL that honors theirs. Unfortunately, Texas is not one of those States.

Post imported post

According to Packing.org it's because Alabama doesn't require the Sheriff to conduct background checks on CCW applicants. The key word is REQUIRE. Most sheriffs do, but because it's not mandatory it limits reciprocity with other states.

Post imported post

Well that's not good... but I guess I understand Texas' position.

Jason

Post imported post

Have you considered getting a NH Non-resident license ? Packing.org and handgunlaw.us both indicate that a NH license is valid in AL.

ProguninTN

Post imported post

Yes ProguninTN. I will be sending my application to NH as soon as my TX CHL comes in. I just received my PIN last week, so it shouldn't be much longer.

Jason

Post imported post

Glad you got it worked out.

ProguninTN

Post imported post

They do now.

Post imported post

Yes. TX and AL do have reciprocity now. Although, if he still goes through with the NH Non-resident, he will have dual coverage in AL, and many other states.
    ProguninTN

Post imported post

I am still thinking about getting my NH to be honest have all the forms filled out and all.

Post imported post

NH is cheap, so that's another reason to do it. My TN is valid there, so I'm covered. I am interested in getting a ME though. I do go there, it's cheap, good for 4 yrs. and my TN is no good.

ProguninTN

Post imported post

NH is not only cheap, but they are extremely fast. I had my NH permit back 10 days after I sent in the application!

State Researcher

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    According to Packing.org it's because Alabama doesn't require the Sheriff to conduct background checks on CCW applicants. The key word is REQUIRE. Most sheriffs do, but because it's not mandatory it limits reciprocity with other states.
    Packing.org is WRONG.....read CoA 13a-11-75

Section 13A-11-75License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
    (Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)

State Researcher

Post imported post

Deleted....sorry, double post.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
    pkbites wrote:
    Packing.org is WRONG.....read CoA 13a-11-75

Section 13A-11-75License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
    (Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)
    The highlighted sentence was added in 2006, after which Texas established reciprocity with Alabama via issuing a unilateral proclamation and Alabama recognizing Texas pursuant to the Alabama reciprocity law.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...eciprocity.htm
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

My Alabama permit lists the states that honor our permits on the back of the permit.

Texas does now honor our permits.

State Researcher

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    The highlighted sentence was added in 2006, after which Texas established reciprocity with Alabama via issuing a unilateral proclamation and Alabama recognizing Texas pursuant to the Alabama reciprocity law.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...eciprocity.htm
    I think it was '06, not sure on the exact year but, does that change the FACT that Packing.org was and still is wrong?
    That line being added also caused most AL CC permit holders fee to double. Mine went from $10 to $20 after the "forced" BG check went into effect....seems an easy way to track people who own a handgun.

Post imported post

When I renewed my permit in the fall of '06, there was no increase in the cost of the basic permit. My county did start offering a picture ID permit on a plastic card similar to the drivers license. The picture ID is available for $20.00 but the basic permit remained at $10.00.

Post imported post

TxBlonde wrote:
    I am still thinking about getting my NH to be honest have all the forms filled out and all.
    I'm gonna get either a Utah or Florida nonresident license so I can carry when visiting family in Ohio. I'm thinking maybe Florida cause it's easy to get, but I'd like the Utah one cause it adds an extra state.