• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Texas does not honor Alabama's CHL

panic215

imported post

Does anyone know why Texas does not honor Alabama's CHL?

I'm originally from Alabama and travel there often. I would like to be able to carry while visiting. Alabama's policy is that it will honor any States CHL that honors theirs. Unfortunately, Texas is not one of those States.

pkbites

imported post

According to Packing.org it's because Alabama doesn't require the Sheriff to conduct background checks on CCW applicants. The key word is REQUIRE. Most sheriffs do, but because it's not mandatory it limits reciprocity with other states.

ProguninTN

imported post

Have you considered getting a NH Non-resident license ? Packing.org and handgunlaw.us both indicate that a NH license is valid in AL.

ProguninTN

panic215

imported post

Yes ProguninTN. I will be sending my application to NH as soon as my TX CHL comes in. I just received my PIN last week, so it shouldn't be much longer.

Jason

ProguninTN

imported post

Yes. TX and AL do have reciprocity now. Although, if he still goes through with the NH Non-resident, he will have dual coverage in AL, and many other states.
ProguninTN

TxBlonde

imported post

I am still thinking about getting my NH to be honest have all the forms filled out and all.

ProguninTN

imported post

NH is cheap, so that's another reason to do it. My TN is valid there, so I'm covered. I am interested in getting a ME though. I do go there, it's cheap, good for 4 yrs. and my TN is no good.

ProguninTN

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

pkbites wrote:
According to Packing.org it's because Alabama doesn't require the Sheriff to conduct background checks on CCW applicants. The key word is REQUIRE. Most sheriffs do, but because it's not mandatory it limits reciprocity with other states.
Packing.org is WRONG.....read CoA 13a-11-75

Section 13A-11-75License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
pkbites wrote:
Packing.org is WRONG.....read CoA 13a-11-75

Section 13A-11-75License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)

The highlighted sentence was added in 2006, after which Texas established reciprocity with Alabama via issuing a unilateral proclamation and Alabama recognizing Texas pursuant to the Alabama reciprocity law.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm

acrimsontide

imported post

My Alabama permit lists the states that honor our permits on the back of the permit.

Texas does now honor our permits.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
The highlighted sentence was added in 2006, after which Texas established reciprocity with Alabama via issuing a unilateral proclamation and Alabama recognizing Texas pursuant to the Alabama reciprocity law.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm
I think it was '06, not sure on the exact year but, does that change the FACT that Packing.org was and still is wrong?
That line being added also caused most AL CC permit holders fee to double. Mine went from $10 to $20 after the "forced" BG check went into effect....seems an easy way to track people who own a handgun.

acrimsontide

imported post

When I renewed my permit in the fall of '06, there was no increase in the cost of the basic permit. My county did start offering a picture ID permit on a plastic card similar to the drivers license. The picture ID is available for $20.00 but the basic permit remained at $10.00.

Walter45Auto

imported post

TxBlonde wrote:
I am still thinking about getting my NH to be honest have all the forms filled out and all.
I'm gonna get either a Utah or Florida nonresident license so I can carry when visiting family in Ohio. I'm thinking maybe Florida cause it's easy to get, but I'd like the Utah one cause it adds an extra state.