• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel to VA

drur

imported post

I am in the Army Reserves and travel to Ft Lee VA (Petersburg) for my two week annual training each year. Although I am a citizen of Missouri, I intend to open carry when off post in civilian clothes. I stay in a hotel the entire time I am there, so there will be plenty of opportunities to OC.

In Missouri, if you go into an establisment (public or private) that is posted no weapons allowed, all they can do is ask you to leave. There are no civil penalties unless you refuse (to leave).

What is the policy in Virginia in relation to posted notices? Are there civil penalties involved?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

VA doesn't have very specific guidlines for posting a business (like Texas' 30.06 rules) but if you carry in a place posted "no firearms" and are found to be carrying, you will be asked to leave. If you don't, you can be charged with tresspass, a misdemeanor. As you may know, if you carry in a place that serves alcohol, you must carry openly (unless posted "no firearms").

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Also, very few places are posted, I can almost count the places that I have seen posted on one hand.

cs9c1

imported post

drur wrote:
I am in the Army Reserves and travel to Ft Lee VA (Petersburg) for my two week annual training each year. Although I am a citizen of Missouri, I intend to open carry when off post in civilian clothes. I stay in a hotel the entire time I am there, so there will be plenty of opportunities to OC.

In Missouri, if you go into an establisment (public or private) that is posted no weapons allowed, all they can do is ask you to leave. There are no civil penalties unless you refuse (to leave).

What is the policy in Virginia in relation to posted notices? Are there civil penalties involved?
Be careful about your firearm on Ft Lee, no POWs allowed. They do random vehicle checks going on post. Stay safe at AT.

drur

imported post

Since we stay off post (I am an instructor), there is not a problem with the POW. In the past, when we stayed on post (guest housing), you had 48 hours to register the weapon with the post provost marshal.

I agree that the Army is not real friendly towards POW's on post. You check your civil rights at the front gate. If you don't like that, you don't go on their post.

Thanks for the update and yes I will attempt to come back home with all ten fingers and toes (same goes for my students)!

drur

imported post

I am currently at Ft Lee and have OC'ed nearly every night after duty hours. Not one question or second look as far as I can tell. I can honestly say that now I am a true advocate of open carry. It is much more convenient than concealed, especially in a hot climate such as Virginia.

kw5kw

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
VA doesn't have very specific guidlines for posting a business (like Texas' 30.06 rules) but if you carry in a place posted "no firearms" and are found to be carrying, you will be asked to leave. If you don't, you can be charged with tresspass, a misdemeanor. As you may know, if you carry in a place that serves alcohol, you must carry openly (unless posted "no firearms").

You say only OC in a place that serves alcohol.

This is your 'restraunt' law that I hear about, correct?

So, it's actually ok to CC in any restraunt that does not serve alcohol, is that correct? (ie. McDonalds, Burger King, Subway)

And,

If the restraunt and bar are seperated by a partition, then it's ok to CC in the restraunt area, but not the bar, is that right?

In Texas you can CC in any establishment that derives the majority of it's profit from non-alcohol (food) sales. In any establishment that derives 51% or more of it's profit from alcohol sales FOR ON PREMISIS CONSUMPTIONthen carry is strictly forbidden. CC is allowed in 'package' stores that sell liquor for off premisis including 7-11's, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Albertsons, etc. I know that in some states you can't carry into any establishment that retails alcohol while carrying (New Mexico).