• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hanover County VA

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]You might want to check out Packing.org today. In the Gun Talk section, under Laws and Politics there is a story about the Hanover Co. Sheriff's Dept. setting forth a new policy to deal with pesky folks who carry openly (as is their right) at public meetings like Board of Supervisor meetings. The officer is to politely ask the person to put his gun in his car. If he/she refuses, the officer is to call for back up, and both deputies are to stand near the open-carrier throughout the meeting. All to reassure the easily frightened public, doncha know.

Perhaps the Sheriff should be asked to read the threads here to see how UNCONCERNED most members of the public are about open carry. This situation practically begs for Phil Van Cleave to call for a dozen or so volunteers to attend the next meeting to see just how ridiculous the Sheriff's Dept. wants to get with this not-so-subtle harrassment.
[/align]

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Let's approach this very carefully and constructively and intentionally. 1.) It is helpful that the Sherrif is educating his officers on the right to open carry 2.) I have questions about the memo - his memo indicates the policy is concerned with what an officer should do upon receiving a complaint from a citizen OR seeing a citizen openly carry in a "public facility" like at a Board of Supervisors meeting - does that mean only county buildings and other county government owned propert? I would like for the Sheriff to clarify this for his officers - if they see someone open carrying at Wal-Mart, and have not received a complaint, should they still follow the instructions in the memo? It is very unclear on this point 3.) If some of us do attend the next Hanover BOS meeting, we need a plan - dress respectably, act in a manner characteristic of a Virginia gentlemen, choose a few people to speak to the BOS about why they value the right to openly carry and about their personal experience with open carry (almost no one notices, and of those who do, more say something positive than negative, etc).

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
There was a 2 July alert? Where is mine?:shock:
I just forwarded you a copy. You can also view them at the VA Alert Archive Site.

(For those who didn't know, in addition to being half of the OpenCarry.Org team, I am the webmaster for VCDL)

TrueBrit

imported post

Perhaps Mr Pierce might be persuaded to attend the meeting, wearing his two-gun Mounted Shooting rig!

Maybe take a large bottle of smelling salts, to give the twitchy LEOs and the Million Mommies a bracing huff, should this prove necessary!

Would the wearing of two guns require FOUR LEOs to ride herd on the gentleman?;)

TrueBrit.

cs9c1

imported post

jpierce wrote:
I just forwarded you a copy. You can also view them at the VA Alert Archive Site.

(For those who didn't know, in addition to being half of the OpenCarry.Org team, I am the webmaster for VCDL)

Thanks. I was getting my alerts at my work e-mail (which I am unable to access this weekend for some reason). I have set it up to come to my home e-mail now.:D

VCDL is great, and I thank anyone working with and supporting the organization, of which I am, and plan to remain a member. Why is there not a forum on their site or a link to this one?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

By the way, I looked more carefully at the document and noticed it is dated August 2004, so this is actually old news. The sheriff might not even expect this to be done anymore. After all, a lot has happened since then, "Short Pump" for one.

Got Sig?

imported post

Are they gonna do this for everyone that OCs at a BoS mtg? If that is the case a few hundred of us ought to show up OCing at the next mtg. How many officers do they have anyway? It could just be the thing that breaks their back, or at least makes them take a second look at their policy.