• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opening LEO Ranges to Civilians

Do you favor opening Law Enforcement firearms ranges to the general public?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Got Sig?

imported post

When I was growing up in Orange County, CA (yes California) in the 1960's and 70's, my father (not a LEO) would take us shooting at the Orange Police Department's pistol range (it was open to the general public then).

It was a very safe atmosphere, there was always at least one range officer available who could instruct you in firearms handling and safety. They even had rentals, you could shoot anything short of full auto on the premises, and even bring your own ammo. It helped build strong relationships between the general public and the police, and at one time I knew about 75% of the officers on the force.

My question for the folks here is, would trying to get Law Enforcement ranges open to the general public be something that would interest you?

I have the ear of a couple members of the House of Delegates, and am trying to get together a list of some proposed legislation (not all gun related), and this struck me as something interesting, as a lot of folks do not have convenient access to a commercial range, and may not be blessed with enough properly zoned property to shoot at home. It would also go a long way toward building relations between the police and the public, and updating both on the most current gun laws.

Just looking for feedback.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have two thoughts.

First thought -I am opposed to government entities competing against private businesses.

Second thought - its public property, why shouldn't the public be able to use it as long as it does not interfere with its primary function and a funding means can be arranged that covers any extra costs that might be incurred.

I am sure there are all kinds of logistical and liability issues that would need to be resolved before something like this could be arranged.

I was told that at one time the police ranges around here were open to the public, but when they built the new public safety building they decided not to allow the public to use the nice new range with all the bells and whistles. Supposedly the official reason was they did not want civilians to know how the local cops were training.

Got Sig?

imported post

ilbob, Thanks for replying.

While I do share your opposition to government entities competing against private businesses, you are also correct in noting that we are paying for these facilities with our tax dollars.

I am not looking at running the gun ranges out of business. In fact there are quite a few LEOs here in the Richmond area where I live that utilize the commercial ranges. But (as I stated above) there are a lot of folks that do not have ready access to a commercial range and don't have anywhere else to shoot. I am sure that you can agree that you are just asking for trouble if you carry a handgun and do not know how to use it. This would address the availability of training resources to assist the public in being more safe around handguns.

It would also help to establish some much needed dialogue between the general public and the law enforcement community.

VAopencarry

imported post

I have 2 ranges within 10 minutes another about 30 minutes. I wish had property to shoot on but don't have a problem finding ranges in this area.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

There is a good chance that if the locality used any federal funding to construct the range, you have the right to use that facility. Thats Federal law already, do a little checking to see if that is the case.

VApatriot

imported post

As usual, Longwatch both beat me to making the post and is correct. There are some stipulations in the law about fees and military/police personal having priority, but ranges built with Federal funds should be open to the public.

If we can ever take guns into D.C., I plan to visit the range at the FBI building. I saw it once when on a tour, and it seemed to be a first rate facility.

Got Sig?

imported post

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I will definitely check into whether my local PD's range was built with any federal funds. Guess I need to put in a FOIA request with the county.

ryanmerrell

imported post

That may be a possibility in some areas, but right now, I see just the opposite. LEOs are going to private ranges to shoot--in uniform. Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk is giving LEOs 1/2 hour (per day or per week, I can't remember) because they don't have the facilities at their disposal. If they don't have a place to shoot, it's kinda hard for us to piggy-back.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In my neck of the woods LEOs use private ranges as well, but it is because their agencies do not want to spend the money to operate the ranges, rather than lack of range resources. I am told the local indoor police range is only used a few days a week.

Part of the issue seems to be the outrageous cost to clean the range to remove lead dust after EVERY use to meet OSHA rules on lead exposure.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Over the years, I've seen plenty of York County deputies at the Lafayette Gun Club. This is fine with most of us, since it gives us a chance to get to know the local LEO's. I'm not sure if the Shriff's Dept. has a designated facility of their own. Perhaps they use one of the local military bases.

ProguninTN

imported post

I've been to private ranges where shooters and even some of the staff were Law Enforcement and/or Military. I have also shot on a Military Base while participating in a private training class. If opening LEO ranges to Civilians helps both parties-Agencies gaining revenue, Civilians a place to shoot. Then, why not ?

ProguninTN

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Many military bases/posts have ranges that are open to the public. Ft. Lee near Richmond in Petersburg is one that I frequent. The phone number there is (804) 765-1994 for the range or (804) 765-2212 for outdoor recreation if the range does not answer. Restriction: No aluminum "brass", eye and ear protection and don't shoot the @z%#@ target frames! Benefits: cheap, pistol, shootgun and rifle distances up to 300yds! Be forwarned the range officer comes across as a grouch (don't they all) but he's really a nice guy.
Yata hey

Sigaleps

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Many military bases/posts have ranges that are open to the public. Ft. Lee near Richmond in Petersburg is one that I frequent. The phone number there is (804) 765-1994 for the range or (804) 765-2212 for outdoor recreation if the range does not answer. Restriction: No aluminum "brass", eye and ear protection and don't shoot the @z%#@ target frames! Benefits: cheap, pistol, shootgun and rifle distances up to 300yds! Be forwarned the range officer comes across as a grouch (don't they all) but he's really a nice guy.
Yata hey

Grapeshot... I used to go to that range, but it has been closed to the public for months now... Are you saying Ft. Lee is open to the public again?

rabbit994

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Over the years, I've seen plenty of York County deputies at the Lafayette Gun Club. This is fine with most of us, since it gives us a chance to get to know the local LEO's. I'm not sure if the Shriff's Dept. has a designated facility of their own. Perhaps they use one of the local military bases.
Most LEO use private ranges because while they may have access to dept. range, the hours may be not fit best with their schedule. NOVA police dept I know has range time for their officers but it's during the day about 3 times a week and it's constantly busy with officers requalifing, recruits doing qualification and other stuff. For a LEO friend of mine, he tends to shoot with me because he works nights and range tends to be open in the morning while he's asleep.

DeerForce1

imported post

Norfolk used to have & may still have a fairly nice covered outdoor range on the back road behind the Norfolk airport. It used to be open to the public but it's been about 20 years since i shot there & i really can't remember if it's still there or not. It seems like it was still therea few years back.The surrounding cities also used Norfolks range back then.......................................................DF1

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was thinking about this just today. These police departments that say "to serve and protect" though the courts have ruled the police have no duty to protect.

So why is it police departments don't offer basic pistol classes, handgun qualification classes, etc. The Fairfax County department teaches some possibly effective unarmed techniques (they won't let men watch, and they won't let those of us who are just interested audit a class first).

XD Owner

imported post

I asked the City of Alexandria if this would be possible along with some other money-saving or money-generating ideas. I framed the civilian use of the gun rangeidea as a way for the City to make some money (instead of continually jacking up property taxes). I figure if it is open, but not used all the time, why not make some range time available here in the City for a small fee covering some of the expense? Closest range I know of is in Lorton (Gilbert's Small Arms).

City Council did not deign toreply.

I like the "building rapport" with law enforcement angle. Give it a try!

XD Owner

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

XD Owner wrote:
I like the "building rapport" with law enforcement angle. Give it a try!

Why is it we are so worried about this issue. Shouldn'tgovernment employees be more worried about building up rapport with us citizens?

It seems tome the whole thing got turned around somewhere along the line.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Re: Ft. Lee actually I have not been to this range in a number of months now. I'm going to have to check out the situation. Why did it close?