• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at Lee District Park

Vincent

imported post

I just got home from watching the fireworks display at Lee District park in the Alexandria section of Fairfax county. We arrived at7:00 p.m. and left at about 10:00 p. m. I open carried my HK USP Compact .40 the entire time. After all it is Independance Day. Walked past a phalanx Of Fairfax's finest, shook hands with our delegate Mark Sickles, stood in line at the porta-potties and had a great time with my family, even though it was a little muddy from the rain. To my surprise I was never questioned, hassled or negatively approached by anyone. I can't believe no one noticed. I deliberately wore a light colored shirt so as to contrast with the black HK. Nothing! I made a point of looking for other packers but didn't see any. I'm hoping to come across a fellow oc ier in public to swap stories. I know you're out there. Happy 4th everyone.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

And I was there carrying concealed!

Good job shaking hands with Mark Sickles! He needs to be reminded how many pro-gun folks live in or near his district!

possumboy

imported post

Is Lee District park a "park"? It shows up green on the map has a park.

I thought OC in VA parkswas banned, or isonly State parks?Is OC acceptable at city/county parks?

Vincent wrote:
I just got home from watching the fireworks display at Lee District park in the Alexandria section of Fairfax county. We arrived at7:00 p.m. and left at about 10:00 p. m. I open carried my HK USP Compact .40 the entire time. After all it is Independance Day. Walked past a phalanx Of Fairfax's finest, shook hands with our delegate Mark Sickles, stood in line at the porta-potties and had a great time with my family, even though it was a little muddy from the rain. To my surprise I was never questioned, hassled or negatively approached by anyone. I can't believe no one noticed. I deliberately wore a light colored shirt so as to contrast with the black HK. Nothing! I made a point of looking for other packers but didn't see any. I'm hoping to come across a fellow oc ier in public to swap stories. I know you're out there. Happy 4th everyone.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

OC is ok at county/ city parks, but prohibited at state parks (CC w permit ok).

possumboy

imported post

I did not know that. I go through a lot of trouble to conceal at a couple of Prince William County Parks. I guess I can stop that.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Right - all localalities and authorities gun bans were preempted in 2004.

The NOVA and FFX COUnty park authorities have refused to amend their regs, but have noted the preemption on their web page - I actually like it that way on the web page b/c it highlights the fact that carry is legal - but they should hold hearings and amend the regs.

Vincent

imported post

I didn't know OC was prohibited at state parks. I thought preemption changed that. Does anyone know if CC/w permit is permitted at say, Mason Neck state park? I haven't been there in a while but I know at one time it was posted "Firearms Prohibited". Thanks Longwatch for the heads up.

possumboy

imported post

I read a 2002 discussion of making it OC at state parks. It failed. That state document can be found here - it begins on page 17: http://legis.state.va.us/codecomm/register/vol19/iss15/v19i15.pdf

I find one part completely stupid: "Respondents observed that it is impossible to distinguish a 'law-abiding citizen' from a person with criminal intentions; thus, many people will, quite naturally, be placed in fear by the presence of another person carrying a gun."

So these people would rather live in ignorance, than know what is out there. I still have a gun in the state parks. Theyhave no reason to fear me, with or without knowing I have a gun, unless they try to harm me or my family. They want to be kept in the dark. Ignorance is bliss to them - and that is why people get hurt. If they don't see it, it must not exist.

Also, notice the leaning of the note keeper with the "quite naturally".

OK, OC is not allowed in state parks. There is the last reference I could find to anyone trying to change it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

There was a lawsuit filed recently against the state park open carry ban as beyond the statutory authority of the state parks and an affront to Artcile I, Section 13 of the VA. Constitution.

The reality is that since the comments period to the last rulemaking attempt tolegalize open carry in state parks, local and regional parks have been preempted for years - much has changed re: open carry since 2003.

possumboy

imported post

Mike wrote: [/b]

Right - all localalities and authorities gun bans were preempted in 2004.

The NOVA and FFX COUnty park authorities have refused to amend their regs, but have noted the preemption on their web page - I actually like it that way on the web page b/c it highlights the fact that carry is legal - but they should hold hearings and amend the regs.

I found the page: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/archives/022206AM-pkg.pdf

Note is on page 10 of the PDF or Page 4 of the regulation.
"Note: 1.04 A and 1.04 D are no longer enforceable in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Formal repeals of these regulations can occur following the required public hearing process."

I also found:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/app7regs.htm

The new rules are found here. They changed it to say you cannot just go around shooting things.
[suB]"A. Projectiles[/suB][suB]. No person shall operate in a park any device or undertake any activity which will cause a projectile to be loosed or propelled which could injure a person or animal or damage property unless the person is operating the device or engaging in the activity in accordance with established park practices as part of a Park Authority managed or permitted activity. Activities and devices restricted under this provision include, but are not limited to, the hitting of golf balls, and the operation of a bow and arrow, crossbow, taser, spear, slingshot, dart device, or other device designed for high-speed missile projection."[/suB]

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Vincent wrote:
I didn't know OC was prohibited at state parks. I thought preemption changed that. Does anyone know if CC/w permit is permitted at say, Mason Neck state park? I haven't been there in a while but I know at one time it was posted "Firearms Prohibited". Thanks Longwatch for the heads up.

I CC'd at Mason Neck for a bluegrass festival a couple of weeks ago. Since it is a State park, I felt I had to in order to be legal.

I didn't see any "no firearms" signs on their web page or the park.

Tess

possumboy

imported post

On the subject of parks:
What is considered a school? Some states define elementary and secondary in the carry ban. Packing.org has:

"School property/school functions unless gun is unloaded, in an enclosed container (but NOT in the glove box or console) and in the vehicle. A car's trunk is[/b] considered an enclosed container. However[/b], a concealed handgun permit holder can[/b] have a loaded, concealed[/u] handgun in the vehicle while in the school parking lot, traffic circle, etc. The concealed handgun and the permit holder must stay in the vehicle. Firearms are not banned from property open to the public where a school function is being held unless that property is being used exclusively for the school function. Violation of this statute is a felony"

Dale City Rec Center has a "State Licensed Preschool Programs that include: Preschool for ages 3-5, Toddler Adventure for ages 30-36 months and First Steps for ages 27-30 months." Does this count has a School because of this? Is carry banned there except for concealed while staying in car?]

Here is the link to DCRC: http://www.pwcparks.org/dcrc/dcrc_classes.html

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

In VA , the school ban is K-12 only, public or private.

We need to relax this statute - lower violations to misdemeanor and exempt permit holders entirely.