Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More than one Open Carry

Post imported post

I just purchased my second handgun, a Kimber 1911. I was thinking of carrying one on my left hip (Kimber) and one on my right hip (XD-9 Subcompact).

I was given a left side holster, and I do just about everything left handed except for write. I pratice with each hand separately, and in both hands. I don't really see a physical/control reason why not to OC on the left also.

I know several have a BUG, but I started carrying because someone is trying to tell me I cannot - and I don't want to know what's next. So a BUG is just another problem when I go into restaurants in Virginia.

Anyone know any reason why not to OC two?

And yes, I only own two guns. Why does everyone find that sohard to believe?

Post imported post

It's always good to have a backup gun (BUG) in case something happens to the primary (like it gets shot). You may want to conceal your BUG.

I like systems that accept magazines between different sized guns, such as Glock. This way there's only one magazine type to mess with.

Post imported post

Yea on my behalf i would also carry your (BUG) conceal, B/C no offence butOCing twojust seems some what of Showing Off, if your where to only OC one i don't think you would get minny looks.

Post imported post

I agree with these replies. MY 2 cents, if you feel a need to carry 2 guns, I would CC one and OC the other. Are you going somewhere extra dangerous? Is there a HIGH threat level on the area? I mean a civi OCing 2 handguns is going to catch many looks and probably LEO talks. Personally I think you would be sending out mixed signals. Some and I would look and think the OK corral and Tombstone, the others wouldn't take a second look. However, in the end, it's going to come down your comfort level!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I usually carry my two backup guns concealed but not always. Yes I do carry 3 sometimes but I can do that.

Post imported post

possumboy wrote:
    but I started carrying because someone is trying to tell me I cannot
    Huh? That doesn't sound like a good reason to carry (though, who says we need a reason at all?)

As for carrying two firearms openly, I wouldn't do it because I don't think I would be able to fend off a gun grab as well as if I only had one to concentrate on.

Post imported post

i have OCed 2 guns before, and i occasionally OC my M$P40 and conceal my keltec p11.

I always take my keltec in the car because if i go somewhere like the mall they look down on carrying and will ask you to leave so CC it is

Post imported post

I have tried this. I normally carry my GLOCK 23 on my right hip in a Serpa, and added a GLOCK 19 in a lefty Serpa on my left hip. I jokingly referred to myself as an "urban cowboy", since it appeared that I had matching shooters. :P

Icarried this wayfor about a week, to get a feel for different reactions. Just like carrying one GLOCK, it went largely un-noticed. I did see a few people pull strange faces, like they couldn't figure me out. :?

The only comment I received was from a gun store owner. He gave me a puzzling look, then pointed at the GLOCK on my left side, He smiled and said, "A New York reload, I love it!" :celebrate

I decided that in lieu of the extra weight of an additional handgun, I would continue to carry two spare magazines, which I keep filled with different types of ammunition. HST's in the gun, Gold Dots in one magazine, and ball ammunition in the other.

Since some have declared July 4th as "National Open Carry Day", I decided to participate by carring an additional handgun. So a Colt 1911 was proudly on display with my GLOCK. Looks like it will be an M16 this year.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I often carry a Handgun and a Taser. The Taser usually is concealed.

I remember a comment VCDL made about a speaker at some Board of Supervisors meeting.

He had more things on his belt than Batman Something like that.
    I vote you CC your BUG also!

Post imported post

Love the comments about a NY reload and a Batman belt.

I carry a Glock 23 on a Serpa holster and a Glock 26 in a Galco ankle holster concealed under my slacks. Works well for me and allows me to carry a mag reload on my left side if I so choose.

Personally, I don't think my belt could support the weight of two sidearms AND my gut at the same time. But, do what you feel comfortable with.

Post imported post

Since I havea CHP, when I OC, I also have a CC BUG. The BUG takes a few moments longer to remove when compared to my OC firearm but it makes for easy access for anyone that I may be protecting. Not to mention should my OC piece be taken / inoperative due to circumstances, I still have a back up plan.

Always have a back up plan as no plan survives past the first encounter.

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    Always have a backup plan as no plan survives past the first encounter.
    And a backup to the backup!

And, until implemented a plan is just that - a plan. Failing a successful test a plan is no different from a theory, maybe even a hypothesis.

A plan must be fluid, dynamic... as you quite skillfully alluded.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    then pointed at the GLOCK on my left side, He smiled and said, "A New York reload, I love it!"
    Reminds me of the story from Anbar Province when the Sunni Awakening councils were beginning. Former Colonel with only one hand carried a 2nd Glock strong side as a reload.

Except as an overt political statement or for celebratory purposes I would not OC two firearms and agree with cREbralFIX about the advantage of interchangeable mags between them.

How about Demi Moore's double Gold Desert Eagles in Charlie's Angels? :P

Post imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
    Or Nic Cage's double 1911's in the double SOB holster in Face Off? That would be my preference.

Post imported post

livitup wrote:
    useful_idiot wrote:
    Or Nic Cage's double 1911's in the double SOB holster in Face Off? That would be my preference.
    How would you change mags with both hands full???

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    The same way that you would change a mag with the use of only one hand.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    livitup wrote:
    useful_idiot wrote:
    By using your ubermovie skills of course!

Post imported post

I have to concur with some of the above opinions. The main reason I would not carry two open as you described is because you need to be able to defend against a gun grab or other "hands on" situation. It's hard enough to protect one gun while fighting with your free arm to get some space between you and your attacker.

Post imported post

Ore wrote:
    I have to concur with some of the above opinions. The main reason I would not carry two open as you described is because you need to be able to defend against a gun grab or other "hands on" situation. It's hard enough to protect one gun while fighting with your free arm to get some space between you and your attacker.
    Very good point, plus one of the main points we are trying to achieve is to "normalize" guns in public. Over doing it will work against this.

Post imported post

I think if I were going to OC two handguns, I'd want magazine compatability between my two guns.

If my right hand gun breaks after eating only part of amag, it can be used in my left hand gun. (and vice-versa). If I didn't have magazine compatability, I'd keep my magazines on the opposite hip for the gun which they fit.

While the same argument can be made for compatability with a BUG, I tend to think of BUGs as even more of a last resort than the primary firearm. And, the hangun is just there to help us fight our way back to our long gun.... right.

Post imported post

As for the two-gun/BUG: A crossdraw holster for the BUG makes sense to me. Then you don't have to use your "weak" arm. Crossdraw is just a theory, I haven't put it into practice yet. It may work fine for you unless you actually want to have both guns drawn at the same time or if someone cuts off your strong arm with a machete.

darthmord wrote:
    Since I havea CHP, when I OC, I also have a CC BUG.
    I've wondered, are there places in the U.S. that have concealed carry laws and that would allow someone without a CHP or equivalent to legally CC one or more guns as long as at least one gun is OC? As if to say that to expose one is to expose them all.

I know Virginia isn't one of those places, due to the wording of 18.2-308. I'm just wondering about other places.

What was the goal of the concealed carry bans anyway? Was it to simply know whether someone was armed or not? Or was it to know exactly how many weapons the person had and where they were on the person? These are just rhetorical questions, as I doubt anyone here has actually legislated concealed carry. I'm sure the answer most people here would have is "Their goal was to erode the second amendment."

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    livitup wrote:
    useful_idiot wrote:
    By using your ubermovie skills of course!
    You know I practice draw and fire from my holster but I've never practiced mag changes. Hmmmm. I think I'll try to sharpen that skill.

Note how in this video the 2cd mag "disappears" from his belt.... smooth and quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgdq1FBYTUE

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    You know I practice draw and fire from my holster but I've never practiced mag changes. Hmmmm. I think I'll try to sharpen that skill.
    I always tell my students that there are a number of things they should practice:

Shooting fundamentals and Marksmanship

Drawing from a holster

Situation awareness

Tactical mag changes

Semi-auto malfunction drills.

Neplusultra - come to the range with me one day and I'll show you the one handed trick...
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    livitup wrote:
    useful_idiot wrote:
    In "Last Man Standing" with Bruce Willis, he was shooting 2 1911's. Ejected both mags transferred one gun to hold both in the same hand, grabbed 2 mags with free handand inserted both at once into each gun, then releasedboth slides to chamber roundsas he transferred the one gun back to the other hand. Had to replay the reload in slo-moa couple times to make sure I saw what I thought I had seen.Looked pretty cool.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Neplusultra - come to the range with me one day and I'll show you the one handed trick...
    Sounds like fun. I thought you were up in NOVA? I've tried working the slide by putting it behind your knee and clamping it there. Not too good at it. I also need to practice shooting weak handed, not too good at that yet. Not sure how I'd change mags with one hand since I carry it in my left pocket :^). I am getting good at drawing and firing without using the sights. 4" COM double taps at 21', less than 1.5 seconds to first shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast