• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More than one Open Carry

possumboy

imported post

I just purchased my second handgun, a Kimber 1911. I was thinking of carrying one on my left hip (Kimber) and one on my right hip (XD-9 Subcompact).

I was given a left side holster, and I do just about everything left handed except for write. I pratice with each hand separately, and in both hands. I don't really see a physical/control reason why not to OC on the left also.

I know several have a BUG, but I started carrying because someone is trying to tell me I cannot - and I don't want to know what's next. So a BUG is just another problem when I go into restaurants in Virginia.

Anyone know any reason why not to OC two?

And yes, I only own two guns. Why does everyone find that sohard to believe?

cREbralFIX

imported post

It's always good to have a backup gun (BUG) in case something happens to the primary (like it gets shot). You may want to conceal your BUG.

I like systems that accept magazines between different sized guns, such as Glock. This way there's only one magazine type to mess with.

fire_man2340

imported post

Yea on my behalf i would also carry your (BUG) conceal, B/C no offence butOCing twojust seems some what of Showing Off, if your where to only OC one i don't think you would get minny looks.

Gunny5821

imported post

I agree with these replies. MY 2 cents, if you feel a need to carry 2 guns, I would CC one and OC the other. Are you going somewhere extra dangerous? Is there a HIGH threat level on the area? I mean a civi OCing 2 handguns is going to catch many looks and probably LEO talks. Personally I think you would be sending out mixed signals. Some and I would look and think the OK corral and Tombstone, the others wouldn't take a second look. However, in the end, it's going to come down your comfort level!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I usually carry my two backup guns concealed but not always. Yes I do carry 3 sometimes but I can do that.;)

nova

imported post

possumboy wrote:
but I started carrying because someone is trying to tell me I cannot
Huh? That doesn't sound like a good reason to carry (though, who says we need a reason at all?)

As for carrying two firearms openly, I wouldn't do it because I don't think I would be able to fend off a gun grab as well as if I only had one to concentrate on.

rmodel65

imported post

i have OCed 2 guns before, and i occasionally OC my M$P40 and conceal my keltec p11.

I always take my keltec in the car because if i go somewhere like the mall they look down on carrying and will ask you to leave so CC it is

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I have tried this. I normally carry my GLOCK 23 on my right hip in a Serpa, and added a GLOCK 19 in a lefty Serpa on my left hip. I jokingly referred to myself as an "urban cowboy", since it appeared that I had matching shooters. :p

Icarried this wayfor about a week, to get a feel for different reactions. Just like carrying one GLOCK, it went largely un-noticed. I did see a few people pull strange faces, like they couldn't figure me out. :?

The only comment I received was from a gun store owner. He gave me a puzzling look, then pointed at the GLOCK on my left side, He smiled and said, "A New York reload, I love it!" :celebrate

I decided that in lieu of the extra weight of an additional handgun, I would continue to carry two spare magazines, which I keep filled with different types of ammunition. HST's in the gun, Gold Dots in one magazine, and ball ammunition in the other.

Since some have declared July 4th as "National Open Carry Day", I decided to participate by carring an additional handgun. So a Colt 1911 was proudly on display with my GLOCK. Looks like it will be an M16 this year. :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I often carry a Handgun and a Taser. The Taser usually is concealed.

I remember a comment VCDL made about a speaker at some Board of Supervisors meeting.

He had more things on his belt than Batman:lol: Something like that.
I vote you CC your BUG also!

Xeni

imported post

Love the comments about a NY reload and a Batman belt.

I carry a Glock 23 on a Serpa holster and a Glock 26 in a Galco ankle holster concealed under my slacks. Works well for me and allows me to carry a mag reload on my left side if I so choose.

Personally, I don't think my belt could support the weight of two sidearms AND my gut at the same time. But, do what you feel comfortable with.

darthmord

imported post

Since I havea CHP, when I OC, I also have a CC BUG. The BUG takes a few moments longer to remove when compared to my OC firearm but it makes for easy access for anyone that I may be protecting. Not to mention should my OC piece be taken / inoperative due to circumstances, I still have a back up plan.

Always have a back up plan as no plan survives past the first encounter.

wylde007

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Always have a backup plan as no plan survives past the first encounter.
And a backup to the backup!

And, until implemented a plan is just that - a plan. Failing a successful test a plan is no different from a theory, maybe even a hypothesis.

A plan must be fluid, dynamic... as you quite skillfully alluded.:D

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
then pointed at the GLOCK on my left side, He smiled and said, "A New York reload, I love it!" :D
Reminds me of the story from Anbar Province when the Sunni Awakening councils were beginning. Former Colonel with only one hand carried a 2nd Glock strong side as a reload.

Except as an overt political statement or for celebratory purposes I would not OC two firearms and agree with cREbralFIX about the advantage of interchangeable mags between them.

How about Demi Moore's double Gold Desert Eagles in Charlie's Angels? :p

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
livitup wrote:
useful_idiot wrote:
How about Demi Moore's double Gold Desert Eagles in Charlie's Angels? :p
Or Nic Cage's double 1911's in the double SOB holster in Face Off? That would be my preference. :lol:
How would you change mags with both hands full???
By using your ubermovie skills of course! :lol:

Ore

imported post

I have to concur with some of the above opinions. The main reason I would not carry two open as you described is because you need to be able to defend against a gun grab or other "hands on" situation. It's hard enough to protect one gun while fighting with your free arm to get some space between you and your attacker.

Neplusultra

imported post

Ore wrote:
I have to concur with some of the above opinions. The main reason I would not carry two open as you described is because you need to be able to defend against a gun grab or other "hands on" situation. It's hard enough to protect one gun while fighting with your free arm to get some space between you and your attacker.
Very good point, plus one of the main points we are trying to achieve is to "normalize" guns in public. Over doing it will work against this.

doug23838

imported post

I think if I were going to OC two handguns, I'd want magazine compatability between my two guns.

If my right hand gun breaks after eating only part of amag, it can be used in my left hand gun. (and vice-versa). If I didn't have magazine compatability, I'd keep my magazines on the opposite hip for the gun which they fit.

While the same argument can be made for compatability with a BUG, I tend to think of BUGs as even more of a last resort than the primary firearm. And, the hangun is just there to help us fight our way back to our long gun.... right.