• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Naval Militia to Guard Ports in Virginia?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think there might be a few people here interested in this.

Virginia's top military officer is mulling over establishing a state naval militia to guard the Old Dominion's seaports.
Newman cautioned, however, that a state naval militia is only in the thinking-about stage.
"We would be receptive to hearing the general's thoughts on such a proposal," said Kevin Hall, Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's spokesman.
Virginia law already provides for a naval militia, made up of citizens - "organized, armed and equipped" - between the ages of 18 and 45.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&%09s=1045855934842&c=MGArticle&cid=1149189031325&path=%21news

VApatriot

imported post

Thisreminds me about the good old days of the Commonwealth when all men were required to be armed and in the militia, and whenpeople's humanrights were respected and protected by the government.

Thishas got me thinking, what would y'all think about legislation that once again required gun ownership? I know that asking for such a thing right now would be dreaming, but what do you think that it could do to the crime rates in Virginia? Even if some people chose not to use their gun, it would be in the minds of criminals that EVERYONE has a gun.

If gun ownership was required, I think that we would see an exodus of not only criminals but also ofthe blue staters who have been coming in here to the northern part of the state.:D

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I know a few places like Kennesaw Ga have mandatory gun ownership laws and they seem to have a positive effect on the crimes rates. However I believe they make exceptions for religious reasons and such. I'm not a big fan of putting guns in the hands of people who wouldn't want them. I'd rather see counties have annual musters of the unorganized militia for an afternoon or 2 of training once a year.

VApatriot

imported post

I know about Kennesaw. In fact, I would like to call it the "Kennesaw Act" much like "Alaska Carry". As for the hard coreanti-gunners, instead of requiring them to have a gun, we could require them to have a sign on their door that read "No guns in this house.":D

ryanmerrell

imported post

I had never heard of Mandatory Ownership before (so I intend to spend some time looking it up). I think it's a great idea. Even better is the idea of making someone post a sign if they don't own a gun. The ironic part is that the idiot posting the sign would probably be proud of it.

marine2000

imported post

Present Day
The Virginia militia system as a compulsory service composed of the body of the people trained to arms as envisioned by George Mason remained intact until the end of the American Civil War. Reconstruction governments forced upon Virginia an all-volunteer militia system in opposition to Virginia's Bill of Rights. The militia became statutorily composed of the organized and the unorganized militia.

In 1971, the Virginia Bill of Rights under Article I, Section 13, was changed to the following:

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."

The current Virginia Militia under Virginia Code § 44-1 states "The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia."

ccunning

imported post

I think the "No guns in this house" idea would be an interesting question to pose to anti-gunners; is that something they would feel comfortable doing? It may just make the lightbulb go off in their head and help them realize how much protection they are afforded already by living in Virginia with our laws being the way they are.

SFDoc

imported post

ccunning wrote:
I think the "No guns in this house" idea would be an interesting question to pose to anti-gunners; is that something they would feel comfortable doing? It may just make the lightbulb go off in their head and help them realize how much protection they are afforded already by living in Virginia with our laws being the way they are.
I tried that at the the GA on lobby day this year. Had a dozen gun free home signs printed, COULD NOT get a single anti to take even one.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SFDoc wrote:
ccunning wrote:
I tried that at the the GA on lobby day this year. Had a dozen gun free home signs printed, COULD NOT get a single anti to take even one.

Hahahahahahahaha. Hypocrites.

Next year, you'll have to wear a Brady button, T-shirt, or something, and no gun. Maybe they'll be stupid enough to take one. :)

SFDoc

imported post

Citizen wrote:
SFDoc wrote:
ccunning wrote:

Hahahahahahahaha. Hypocrites.

Next year, you'll have to wear a Brady button, T-shirt, or something, and no gun. Maybe they'll be stupid enough to take one. :)
I may just try that. Do you think that my 1911 would be a give a way to my true intent??

Tomahawk

imported post

longwatch wrote:

Virginia's top military officer is mulling over establishing a state naval militia to guard the Old Dominion's seaports.
Newman cautioned, however, that a state naval militia is only in the thinking-about stage.
"We would be receptive to hearing the general's thoughts on such a proposal," said Kevin Hall, Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's spokesman.
Virginia law already provides for a naval militia, made up of citizens - "organized, armed and equipped" - between the ages of 18 and 45.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&%09s=1045855934842&c=MGArticle&cid=1149189031325&path=%21news
So does this mean Virginia will have it's own "corps of marines" like some states did in the 1770s?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
longwatch wrote:

So does this mean Virginia will have it's own "corps of marines" like some states did in the 1770s?

That would be so cool!!

Where do we sign up? :)

I nominate Longwatch for Regimental CO! (I understand that in those days the officers were elected by the troops.)

I wonder if it will be a "dry" navy? Naval personnel need their grog, ya know.

Lets start working on a dress uniform design. Anybody got any pictures of CSA marines?

Oh, crap. I just realized. The General Assembly can't get a simple transportation bill to the Governor. They'll never agree on money to build ships.

That's OK. We'll be the envy of every Marine on base.

"Who are those guys in those too cool uniforms?"

"VAMC. You can address them as "Marine", but you need to be polite." :)

Virginiaplanter

imported post

How old is this post? The date posted says Tuesday July 11, 2006 and the link to the Richmond Times does not work.

SFDoc

imported post

Citizen wrote:
That would be so cool!!

Where do we sign up? :)

I nominate Longwatch for Regimental CO! (I understand that in those days the officers were elected by the troops.)

I wonder if it will be a "dry" navy? Naval personnel need their grog, ya know.

Lets start working on a dress uniform design. Anybody got any pictures of CSA marines?

Oh, crap. I just realized. The General Assembly can't get a simple transportation bill to the Governor. They'll never agree on money to build ships.

That's OK. We'll be the envy of every Marine on base.

"Who are those guys in those too cool uniforms?"

"VAMC. You can address them as "Marine", but you need to be polite." :)

With our GA you would end up with this

SFDoc

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
How old is this post? The date posted says Tuesday July 11, 2006 and the link to the Richmond Times does not work.
You would have to notice that - just when it was getting interesting

Tomahawk

imported post

I don't know but I'm picturing myself with my own sailboat and some 4-pounder guns, with maybe say, a nice swivel gun up on deck loaded with grape, and a cutlass in a scabbard.

And, oh, yeah, my squad of Virginia Marines in the rigging with M-14s...

Drug pirates in the Carribean? Yeah, let's get some.

<sigh>...okay, back to reality now.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Ok. I'll throw you a nice history bone for outing this old thread. I do like the picture though, all it needs is a scabbard for a blunderbuss:

APRIL 1699.−−−11th WILLIAM III.
ACT V.
An act for restraining and punishing of Pirates and Privateers
"Be it therefore enacted by the Governour, Councell and Burgesses of this present Generall Assembly, and the authority thereof, and it is hereby enacted, That if any pirates, privateers or sea robers, or any other persons suspected to be such shall land and put on shoar in any port or place in this his majestyes collony and dominion upon notice given or knowledge thereof, all officers civill and military are hereby required and impowered to raise and levy such a number of well armed men as he or they shall judge necessary for the seizing, apprehending and carrying to gaol of any and every such person or persons, and in case of any resistance or refusall to yield obedience to his majestyes authority it shall be lawfull to kill or destroy such person or persons and all and every person or persons that shall oppose or resist the said authority by strikeing or fireing upon any person in execution of this act, shall be deemed taken and adjudged as fellons without benefitt of clergy, and every such officer that shall omitt or neglect his duty therein and being lawfully convicted shall for every such offence forfeit fifty pounds sterling, one moyety to our sovereigne lord the king, his heirs and successors for and towards the better support of the government and the contingent charges thereof, and the other moyety to him that shall sue or informe for the same in any court of record in this his majestyes collony and dominion, in which no essoigne protection or wager of law shall be allowed. And for the better and more speedy execution of justice upon such who haveing committed treasons, piricyes, felloneyes or other offences upon the sea, and shall be apprehended or brought prisoners to this his majestyes collony and dominion."

And for Tomahawk:

[align=left]Letter of George Mason to George Washington- April 2, 1776[/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]"We are building the row-galleys, which are in considerable forwardness ; and have purchased three sloops for cruisers, two of them being only from forty to fifty tons burden, are to mount eight carriage-guns each, three and four pounders ; they are not yet fitted up, and we are exceedingly puzzled to get cannon for them. The other, the American Congress is a fine stout vessel, of about one hundred and ten tons burden, and has such an easy draft of water as will enable her to run into most of the creeks, or small harbors, if she meets with a vessel of superior force. She mounts fourteen carriage-guns, six and four-pounders, though we have thoughts of mounting two nine-pounders upon her main beam, if we find her able, as we think she is, to bear them ; her guns are mounted and to be tried to-morrow. We have twenty barrels of powder, and about a ton of shot ready—more is making ; swivels we have not yet been able to procure, but she may make a tolerable ship without, until they can be furnished. We have got some small-arms, and are taking every method to increase them, and hope to be fully supplied in about a week more. Her company of marines is raised and have been for some time exercised to the use of the great guns. Her complement of marines and seamen is to be ninety-six men. We are exerting ourselves to the utmost and hope to have her on her station in less than a fortnight, and that the other vessels will quickly follow her, and be able to protect the inhabitants of this river from the piratical attempts of all the enemy's cutters, tenders, and small craft."[/align]​

Tomahawk

imported post

Nice. If it's to be Mr. Mason's Navy, I'm in.

I used to live in the Philly area and read up on the Pennsylvania Navy, which in addition to the small boats also had some interesting oddballs for use on the Delaware River during the British occupation of Philadelphia, including some small boats with one cannon layed across the bows facing directly forward. You aimed the bow at the target and fired. The Penn. Navy actually saw some heavy combat during the battle for control of the Delaware, especially the siege of Ft. Mifflin, but it was mostly a floatinginsurgency designed to bea pain in the Royal Navy's ass. After the Delaware campaign I think it ran out of money and pretty much dissolved.

There was a good book about the Penn. Navy, out of print but my dad has a copy. Is there one for the Va. Navy I wonder?