• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

357 BUG

357luvr

imported post

I'm looking to get back into guns and have decided that I want at least one 357. I'm planning to get a Taurus 627 mainly for plinking. It's one of the most accurate 357's I've ever shot and would love to be able to OC with it daily. My question is what about something smaller?

I absolutely love the specs of S&W's 340PD. The thing only weighs 12oz!!! The problem is, with my carry ammo (Buffalo Bore) it truely hurts to shoot more thantwo or three times. Is this just down right too small?Should I get something a bit heavier or go with the 12oz 340?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think some of the current .38 +p loads are as good as you can get out of the snub nose package. I wouldn't feel underarmed with 5 good .38s. I would prefer the ability to practice more comfortably and be better skilled with my piece than carrying something that I am subconsciously afraid of and might flinch when I need to make a critical shot.
If you are set on .357 try a S&W in stainless steel or an SP101. I have a 3" SP101 and with the stock rubber grips and 125 gr loads is awesome to shoot, though it produces quite a bit of muzzle flash but recoil isn't as bad as my P3AT.

TrueBrit

imported post

Long watch has it right here, since I find that the .38 +P loads are plenty hot enough for my BUG(Taurus Ultra-Lite, 15 oz). Goes bang every time, nonetheless. Plenty strong enough to do the job, IMHO.

Useful, though, to be able to plink with Wally World Winchester White Box .38 ammo out of both my PG .357 and my BUG .38. I told you all before that I was cheap!;)

True Brit.

panic215

imported post

Looking at the stats of the Buffalo Bore, I'm impressed. I would confident carrying that load if I had a .38 and knew that it would feed / extract reliably.

Cheers,

Jason

ProguninTN

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Long watch has it right here, since I find that the .38 +P loads are plenty hot enough for my BUG(Taurus Ultra-Lite, 15 oz). Goes bang every time, nonetheless. Plenty strong enough to do the job, IMHO.

Useful, though, to be able to plink with Wally World Winchester White Box .38 ammo out of both my PG .357 and my BUG .38. I told you all before that I was cheap!;)

True Brit.

Count me on the .38 +P bandwagon. It is a good load.

ProguninTN

Spank That Donkey

imported post

I concur on +P great round, very accurate. I have a SP101 with the 2 1/4 barrel, but I put on a pair of nice wood hogue grips, because when I carried the rubber grips, it would catch on my shirt (carried it on my right side or back further on my back with galco leather holster.

The wood grips, no grippee shirtee.. No bend over and have to expose the fact I am carrying...

That was my first carry gun when permits first came out, and I lived in Richmond. I really, really like my SP, that I bought then for $290 + $45 or so for hogue grips.. Now I notice they are all $400.

Actually, I have toyed with idea of snub nosed SP, hammerless and the port job for carry...

But for target shooting, the single action is a ton of fun, and easy trigger pull... Favorite fun at the range, let a friend shoot it, and load 4 +P and the last a .357, and you always get the "What the heck was that last one" :lol:reaction from your friend!