Thread: Citizen's Arrest Backfires in Indiana

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Not gun related, but has serious legal repercussions - IMHO.

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (AP) - Two people who helped place a man under citizen's arrest when he strayed onto the wrong property found themselves in jail. ...were arrested and charged with criminal confinement, a Class D felony punishable by up to three years in prison and a $10,000 fine, and battery, a Class A misdemeanor which carries a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a fine up to $5,000.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=456&sid=845393

Post imported post

I can understand being mad about theft on your property, I have lived in down town Richmond after all. But placing someone under citizen's arrest is approaching agrey area of the law in most states (like most gun laws). Now if I witnessed a serious crime, I believe I would do all I could to detain the individual and get someone to call 911 ASAP. If I just caught someone on my property and suspected trespass I would just tell them to GTFO.

Post imported post

I think I would have tried to help the guy to his friends house. If he then starting acting shaddy, I would do as cs9c1 said and tell he to leave and not come back, but not after aleast seeing if the guy was on the up and up. There's nothing wrong with helping someone out. Not everyone is a sadistic muderer/rapist/thief.

I think this has alot to do with the area you are in and the demenor of the lost individual but that is not conveyed in the news story.

Cheers,

Jason