• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where you can and where you can't carry

357luvr

imported post

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if someone can give me a list of places that the law prohibits carry. So far this is what I know

Schools (K-12) - Prohibited, OC or CC. If you have CCW, you can keep in in the car (including on your person as long as you don't exit the car even for a second) as long as it remains concealed. If it becomes visible, it's a felony, CCW or not. Also, without a permit, there is a Federal law that prohibits carry within 1000 feet of a school, and there is no exemption for your vehicle. In other words, if you drive by a school, you broke federal law. Virginia passed a law that exempted permit holders from this law.

Restaurants with an On Premesis ABC license - CC prohibited on the entire premesis, which some say includes the parking lot. OC permitted unless posted or otherwise informed by owner/manager.If no ABC license, treat as any other business.

Any private property, including businesses, with signs posted - required to comply with the signs or face a trespassing arrest (not a gun charge).

Courthouses - prohibited, CC or OC

Federal Property (including post offices, national parks, etc.) - subject to Federal law, of which there are many, and nearly as many different interpretations.

State Parks - CC OK, OC prohibited. (this does not apply to city/county parks, just state parks - cc or OC OK in city/county parks)

Places of Worship - I don't remember exactly how the law reads, but the idea is that you need to have a good reason to carry on church property. Basically, if the church folks don't care, you're OK. If they do, you'd better be ready to explain that the ability to protect yourself is a good enough reason to meet the requirement in the law.

This is from an email I got from my uncle and was wondering if any of you had anything to add? Thanks everyone!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I assume you are asking about VA based upon your location and the list you put together. You have most of them.

Don't worry too much about places of worship. In my opinion (I am NOT a lawyer), self-defense IS a good and sufficient reason. I carry in church every week.

Places Off-Limits While Carrying

• Air Carrier Airport Terminals (Ticketed Passengers Baggage Exemption)
  • ANY Courthouse
  • ANY Federal Property (Federal Offices/National Parks/Post Offices)
  • Detention Facilities (Adult & Juvenile)
  • Military Facilities
  • Place of Worship During a Service "Without Good and Sufficent Reason"
  • Places With On-Premises Alcohol - Owners/Employees/Open Carry Exempted
  • Private Property / Business When Prohibited by Owner or Posted
  • Public/Private/Parochial School Buses
  • Public/Private/Parochial School Functions
  • Public/Private/Parochial School Property (Concealed Carry by Permit Holders INSIDE Vehicles is Exempted)
  • State Parks (CCW Ok. Open Carry Not Allowed)
  • Virginia Commonwealth University

matt747

imported post

What about a Liqour store, or 7 eleven to buy beer? do you have to OC or is it just places where you can consume?

jimwyant

imported post

The restriction only applies to establishments with an ABC On-Premises license. If the license is Off-Premises (anywhere that sells, but does not serve alcohol) CC or OC is OK, unless otherwise posted, of course.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The only thing I would add to the list is the pohibition on non permit holders from carrying assault weapons in certain counties. This only affects handgun open carry if you have a magazine of over 20 rounds capacity in the weapon or if it has a threaded barrel.

mercutio545

imported post

jpierce wrote:
I assume you are asking about VA based upon your location and the list you put together. You have most of them.

Don't worry too much about places of worship. In my opinion (I am NOT a lawyer), self-defense IS a good and sufficient reason. I carry in church every week.

Places Off-Limits While Carrying
  • Air Carrier Airport Terminals (Ticketed Passengers Baggage Exemption)
  • ANY Courthouse
  • ANY Federal Property (Federal Offices/National Parks/Post Offices)
  • Detention Facilities (Adult & Juvenile)
  • Military Facilities
  • Place of Worship During a Service "Without Good and Sufficent Reason"
  • Places With On-Premises Alcohol - Owners/Employees/Open Carry Exempted
  • Private Property / Business When Prohibited by Owner or Posted
  • Public/Private/Parochial School Buses
  • Public/Private/Parochial School Functions
  • Public/Private/Parochial School Property (Concealed Carry by Permit Holders INSIDE Vehicles is Exempted)
  • State Parks (CCW Ok. Open Carry Not Allowed)
  • Virginia Commonwealth University

Can someone elaborate on the VCU off-limits restriction? Is it treated the same as a school? IE- You're allowed to carry in a school parking lot, so are you allowed to carry in a VCU parking lot?

VApatriot

imported post

I would recomend buying The Virginia Gun Owners Guide by Allen Korwin.It hasall the laws explainedin away that ordinary people can understand.:)

BTW, I just saw a copy of the 2006 edition today at the NRA gift shop and it was a bit thicker than my 2004 edition.:?

VAopencarry

imported post

OK, I am certainly no expert, I count on you guys to keep me straight.:D However, I think ANY federal property is incorrect. National Forest and BLM land for example. Wouldn't these be considered federal property?

zoom6zoom

imported post

That's another one that causes confusion. As I understand it, you're legal to carry in National Forests, but not National Parks (and sometimes the boundaries are unclear). After all, nobody ever gets attacked in a National Park. There's current activity trying to get this changed.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

try to post threads under the state you are discussing.

The OCDO database refers folks to the PDO state database for a summary of each state's carry restrictions.