Thread: CC Premit Law Changes

Post imported post

I read in the Mechanicsville Local last night about a change to VA code effecting CCP. I hope this is relevant to this site, because I know many of you have a CCP.

This is what I read:

"A permit holder must notify the issuing court of his change of address within thirty days and now a 90-day grace period is in effect for members of the armed forces that are deployed and need to renew their permit."

I called my county clerk of courts and was told this is not into effect until July 2007.

I asked what the procedure fornotifying them was and was told to write down on a piece of paper my new address and my file number on my CCP and they would attach it to my file. Then to call the State Police and let them know what I had done.

I asked about a new permit with the correct address on it and was told that would happen when I renewed it (I still have over 4 years left on this permit).

Does all this seem correct to all of you? I don't have the warm and fuzzies about all ofthis.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

cs9c1 - Here's the link to the Virginia State Police (VSP) Firearms website that addresses this same question. It states:
    "The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
    Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of resident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address."Personally, I'd send a letter to the Circuit Court that issued the CHP and advise them also. Hope this helps...

DoubleR
    "You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

Post imported post

Thanks for the fast reply. I haven't even sealed the envelope yet. I will send them a copy of the State Police FAQs with my notification of address change.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

All Arlington Co requested was a copy of ones new DL and Permit, nothing was said about calling the state police.

Post imported post

Being in the military stationed in VA, I was issued a Resident permit. I have orders to move out of the state in a few months, and Florida is my "state of residence" according to the military/taxes etc. Are these statements still valid for me, or should I apply for a non resident permit once I have my next address?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

YES YES YES - no duty to change your address. Everybody's permit is still good after you move. even in 2007, there appears to be no real penalty to fail to update your address.

What is the URL to the article with the ban info?

Post imported post