• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No charges in shoot-the-burglar case

AlaskanAtHeart

imported post

No charges in shoot-the-burglar case By CHRISSI COILE ccoile@ktbs.com

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/3342811.html

Police have filed no charges against a business owner shot and killed a suspected burglar late Wednesday night after a burglar alarm alerted him to trouble in his shop.
The district attorney will review the case to see if charges are warranted.

Shreveport police said 74-year-old Dudley Hay's alarm company called shortly before midnight to notify him of motion detection coming from his tax service and gun-cleaning and repair shop, located next door to his house on Rightway Avenue.

Hay got a gun and went to investigate on his own and found guns stacked together and a man hiding in a bathroom at the back of the building, police said.

Hay told police the intruder stood up and confronted him. He fired one shot, hitting 19-year-old Eric Bryant of Shreveport in the chest and killing him, police said.

"The man knew he had a lot of weapons in there and he didn't know if the suspect was armed or not," Police Department spokeswoman Kacee Hargrave said.

Hay was questioned and released with no charges filed. Police said they will forward the case to the district attorney's office for a decision on whether the shooting was justified.

Hay did not call police after the alarm company call, deciding to go check on it himself.

Police said there had been false alarms at the business before.

"They've been false, so he just figured it was another false alarm call," Hargrave said.

Reached at his home, Hay would not agree to an on-camera interview, telling a KTBS reporter, "I'm too damn upset to talk about it."

Bryant had no adult criminal record, police said.

Louisiana's shoot-the-burglar law allows property owners to defend themselves.

"You can shoot if you reasonably think you're going to be killed or injured and you have to do it to protect yourself or your family member," District Attorney Paul Carmouche said.

In the 28 years Carmouche has been district attorney, his office has never prosecuted a property owner who shot a burglar inside his home or business. The ones who were charged had shot people who were outside their home and did not pose a threat.

Story Created: Jul 13, 2006 at 8:27 AM EST
Story Updated: Jul 13, 2006 at 8:31 PM EST

ProguninTN

imported post

Bryant had no adult record. I wonder if sealed juvenile records exist ?For all we know, his records may have resembled a phone book.

ProguninTN

Opie

imported post

Burglars beware! Fortunately for Mr. Hay the incident didn't occur during hurricane martial law. The article didn't say that the police confiscated the pistol used to shoot the intruder, so I guess they letMr. Hay keep it. -Opie

kimber1911.45

imported post

Opie wrote:
Burglars beware! Fortunately for Mr. Hay the incident didn't occur during hurricane martial law. The article didn't say that the police confiscated the pistol used to shoot the intruder, so I guess they letMr. Hay keep it. -Opie
Martial Law??? What would have been the difference ? Sorry for asking

VAopencarry

imported post

kimber1911.45 wrote:
Opie wrote:
Martial Law??? What would have been the difference ? Sorry for asking
I think he was referring to the gun confiscation of law abiding citizens in New Orleans during Katrina aftermath.