Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is the most liberal open carry state?

Arizonatexan

Post imported post

By that question I mean - which state is the most "open" open carry state? Each state has a plethora of convoluted regulations for both CC and OC. I've recently moved to Arizona from Texas and have been doing a fair amount of research about the AZ statutes so as not to get sideways of anyLEO here. AZhas a wonderful heritageof OC and many, many folks practice OC here. Its really very common! I've posted other places about the philosophy of theOC folks I've spoken with here in AZ. But - AZ is my first experience with OC.

Maybe this question is too broad.

Arizona-Texan

Post imported post

I believe that the best OC state is New Hampshire.

It is unlawful to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle or concealed about one`s person without a license &A person shall not knowingly carry or have in his control any firearm in a courtroom or area used by a court.

Post imported post

I don't think there is any one single answer. While there are several good states, Idaho has to be right up there near the top.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Vermont?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

The most liberal open carry state has to be a gold star state. I'd say of all of the "Gold Stars", I'd say "Virginia" is the most "liberal" when it comes to that.

Post imported post

delaware you can carry everywhere except municipal buildings openly, even in your holster loaded while driving.

Arizonatexan

Post imported post

Delaware kind-of sounds like Arizona except AZ has a strange twist - you can't carry anywhere they serve alcohol to drink. That makes just about all restaurants off limits.

Thanks, guys, for all the responses.

Arizona-Texan

Post imported post

I'm with Lonnie. You have to start with Gold Star states, starting with no permit required and statewide preemption, imo. Then how well is it really accepted in practice. Hell you can OC in Maryland if you have a carry permit but I guarantee the LE would jack you up in a heartbeat.

I will say things are pretty good here in Virginia
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Just one problem with Delaware,

They have preemption but grandfathers in ordinances before 1985.

Post imported post

I would say VT. It does have the least laws regarding carry. NH is good, but in the extensive time I havespent there, I have not seen much open carry.

ProguninTN

Post imported post

Progun, you can't carry on government property in VT. You can in NH, the only exception is a court room or openly in your vehicle. I would like for somebody to show me a state with less restrictions on open carry.

Post imported post

You got me there. I overlooked the Off-Limits list.

ProguninTN

Post imported post

Kentucky is pretty good, Gold Star State, complete state pre-emption, etc.

Probably one sees most open carry in the Eastern part of the State.

Concealed carry involves a tiresome shopping list of off limits places, true, but it would seem that most of these restrictions do not apply to open carry.

For my part, I never open carry in post offices , but other than that, I go to run of the mill locations and no problems to date.

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

Except for Federal buildings (as in all states); schools andliquor establishments are about the only restrictions in NM. You can carry openly or concealed in your vehicle without a permit without restriction.

Arizonatexan

Post imported post

I didn't know this about New Mexico. I don't see many posts from folks from New Mexico on the forum. When we lived in Texas we traveled once in a while in or thru New Mexico and I can't recall ever seeing anyone open carry. Maybe, you all are similar to Arizona - its so common - its just not a big deal. I sure wish Texas was like that.

Arizona-Texan

Post imported post

Actually, NM is slightly better in this respect as our vehicles are considered an extension of our homes and there is absolutely no state restrictions concerning carrying in your car. If I'm not mistaken, you have to have a permit in AZ in order to conceal it in your vehicle.

Here in Farmington, there are quite a few folks that carry openly and you'll see a good many of them in the smaller towns but you rarely see it in Albuquerque, Santa Fe or Las Cruces. I know for a fact that at least someof them WANT to but they won'tbecause some gunowners are just to worried about what other people think.

Arizonatexan

Post imported post

I get the same impression. Maybe it's part of the "last frontier." Kingman and Mohave County here in Arizona is more rural - not like Phoenix. It's pretty common here but my understanding is that a lot of folks don't carry open in the bigger cities.

Arizona has a funny little clause in their carry law - you can carry with or without a permit in your car if its in the glovebox or other container. Otherwise - you have to carry it open in your car. You can carry it open in your vehicle on your belt, in the seat next to you, or beside you as long as it's out in the open. Or - you can put it in the glovebox. If it's concealed on your person in the car you have to have a CC permit.

I'm glad to here that about NM! We go thru there going back and forth to Texas.

Arizona-Texan

Post imported post

I go thru Kingman every couple of months on my way to Front Sight. Maybe we can hook up for a Coke or something sometime.

Arizonatexan

Post imported post

That's a great idea, Desertscout. I'll email you privately.

Post imported post

Alabama.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Id have to think alaska would be at or damn near the top. we can't carry in a bar(good) or fed. property(as always) but can you carry in your local bank? and oc and cc with out a license? do you have waiting periods to buy guns(bought a shottie yesterday and only took 15 minutes to phone it in same for pistols). not many folks look at you funny for packing at the home depot. not sure about you in those other great oc states but from were I sit we have it damn good.

Post imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
    Id have to think alaska would be at or damn near the top. we can't carry in a bar(good) or fed. property(as always) but can you carry in your local bank? and oc and cc with out a license? do you have waiting periods to buy guns(bought a shottie yesterday and only took 15 minutes to phone it in same for pistols). not many folks look at you funny for packing at the home depot.
    I do not so much care whether folks look at me funny. More important is whether you can go to jail and where you can carry. Alaska has the following places off limits:

AS 11.61.220

• A public or private school for grades K-12,
      including the school grounds, parking lot or on a bus while
      used for a school sponsored activities, unless the person
      carrying the firearm has the permission of the chief
      administrative officer of the school or the school district.
    • Any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for
      consumption on the premises, except a restaurant where the
      person carrying the firearm did not consume intoxicating
      liquor.
    • Any licensed child care facility or licensed
      assisted living home for the elderly or for the mentally or
      physically disabled, if the facility is other than a
      (18.65.755 private residence (REVISED)
    • Within a courtroom or office of the Alaska Court
      System, or within a courthouse that is occupied only by the
      Alaska Court System and other Justice-related agencies.
    • Within a domestic violence or sexual assault
      shelter that receives funding from the state.
    • Within another person's residence, unless the
      person carrying the firearm has first obtained the express
      permission of an adult residing there to bring the firearm
      into the residence. Now( 11.65.755)

Alabama has only picket lines off limits, and then only under certain specific circumstances. You do need a license to openly carry in a car, though.

Post imported post

I think Virginia is the best state for open carry, by far. In Virginia, you can open carry in a car (without a license), as well as establishments serving alcohol (without a license, and even if you have a beer or glass of wine, although I would never do so nor would I recommend it), so I'd think that means Virginia has both Alabama and Alaska beat. Of course, you also can open carry here in banks, libraries, at protests, etc. Additionally, you an open carry a handgun at 18 (although you have to be 21 to purchase). Until very recently anyone could conceal carry (with license) or open carry at the General Assembly, even while in session. You still can, although recent rule changes now require that you have a concealed carry permit to concealed or open carry in the General Assembly. Plus, I think there are far more regular open carriers in Virginia than anywhere else, and law enforcement (not withstanding occasional problems) is possilby the most educated about the legality of open carry here. You can open carry at school board meetings, local government meetings, public parks, heavily urbanized cities, etc etc etc....

Post imported post

You also can open carry (and conceal carry) on college campuses in Virginia, although colleges and universities can choose to forbid faculty, staff and students from doing so (and most do).

Post imported post

I think it's fair to say that it doesn't matter how friendly the state is towards OC is no one is choosing to exercise the freedom to do so. Remember, a right unused is a right lost.

Following the recent court decsion in Utah, hopefully we'll be able to apply some leverage on the University bans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast