• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which is the most liberal open carry state?

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

By that question I mean - which state is the most "open" open carry state? Each state has a plethora of convoluted regulations for both CC and OC. I've recently moved to Arizona from Texas and have been doing a fair amount of research about the AZ statutes so as not to get sideways of anyLEO here. AZhas a wonderful heritageof OC and many, many folks practice OC here. Its really very common! I've posted other places about the philosophy of theOC folks I've spoken with here in AZ. But - AZ is my first experience with OC.

Maybe this question is too broad.

Arizona-Texan

Article1section23

imported post

I believe that the best OC state is New Hampshire.

It is unlawful to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle or concealed about one`s person without a license &A person shall not knowingly carry or have in his control any firearm in a courtroom or area used by a court.

astute

imported post

I don't think there is any one single answer. While there are several good states, Idaho has to be right up there near the top.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The most liberal open carry state has to be a gold star state. I'd say of all of the "Gold Stars", I'd say "Virginia" is the most "liberal" when it comes to that.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Delaware kind-of sounds like Arizona except AZ has a strange twist - you can't carry anywhere they serve alcohol to drink. That makes just about all restaurants off limits.

Thanks, guys, for all the responses.

Arizona-Texan

VAopencarry

imported post

I'm with Lonnie. You have to start with Gold Star states, starting with no permit required and statewide preemption, imo. Then how well is it really accepted in practice. Hell you can OC in Maryland if you have a carry permit but I guarantee the LE would jack you up in a heartbeat.

I will say things are pretty good here in Virginia:)

ProguninTN

imported post

I would say VT. It does have the least laws regarding carry. NH is good, but in the extensive time I havespent there, I have not seen much open carry.

ProguninTN

Article1section23

imported post

Progun, you can't carry on government property in VT. You can in NH, the only exception is a court room or openly in your vehicle. I would like for somebody to show me a state with less restrictions on open carry.

TrueBrit

imported post

Kentucky is pretty good, Gold Star State, complete state pre-emption, etc.

Probably one sees most open carry in the Eastern part of the State.

Concealed carry involves a tiresome shopping list of off limits places, true, but it would seem that most of these restrictions do not apply to open carry.

For my part, I never open carry in post offices , but other than that, I go to run of the mill locations and no problems to date.

TrueBrit.

Desertscout

imported post

Except for Federal buildings (as in all states); schools andliquor establishments are about the only restrictions in NM. You can carry openly or concealed in your vehicle without a permit without restriction.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I didn't know this about New Mexico. I don't see many posts from folks from New Mexico on the forum. When we lived in Texas we traveled once in a while in or thru New Mexico and I can't recall ever seeing anyone open carry. Maybe, you all are similar to Arizona - its so common - its just not a big deal. I sure wish Texas was like that.

Arizona-Texan

Desertscout

imported post

Actually, NM is slightly better in this respect as our vehicles are considered an extension of our homes and there is absolutely no state restrictions concerning carrying in your car. If I'm not mistaken, you have to have a permit in AZ in order to conceal it in your vehicle.

Here in Farmington, there are quite a few folks that carry openly and you'll see a good many of them in the smaller towns but you rarely see it in Albuquerque, Santa Fe or Las Cruces. I know for a fact that at least someof them WANT to but they won'tbecause some gunowners are just to worried about what other people think.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I get the same impression. Maybe it's part of the "last frontier." Kingman and Mohave County here in Arizona is more rural - not like Phoenix. It's pretty common here but my understanding is that a lot of folks don't carry open in the bigger cities.

Arizona has a funny little clause in their carry law - you can carry with or without a permit in your car if its in the glovebox or other container. Otherwise - you have to carry it open in your car. You can carry it open in your vehicle on your belt, in the seat next to you, or beside you as long as it's out in the open. Or - you can put it in the glovebox. If it's concealed on your person in the car you have to have a CC permit.

I'm glad to here that about NM! We go thru there going back and forth to Texas.

Arizona-Texan

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

That's a great idea, Desertscout. I'll email you privately.