• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which is the most liberal open carry state?

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Id have to think alaska would be at or damn near the top. we can't carry in a bar(good) or fed. property(as always) but can you carry in your local bank? and oc and cc with out a license? do you have waiting periods to buy guns(bought a shottie yesterday and only took 15 minutes to phone it in same for pistols). not many folks look at you funny for packing at the home depot. not sure about you in those other great oc states but from were I sit we have it damn good.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
Id have to think alaska would be at or damn near the top. we can't carry in a bar(good) or fed. property(as always) but can you carry in your local bank? and oc and cc with out a license? do you have waiting periods to buy guns(bought a shottie yesterday and only took 15 minutes to phone it in same for pistols). not many folks look at you funny for packing at the home depot.

I do not so much care whether folks look at me funny. More important is whether you can go to jail and where you can carry. Alaska has the following places off limits:

AS 11.61.220

• A public or private school for grades K-12,
    including the school grounds, parking lot or on a bus while
    used for a school sponsored activities, unless the person
    carrying the firearm has the permission of the chief
    administrative officer of the school or the school district.
  • Any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for
    consumption on the premises, except a restaurant where the
    person carrying the firearm did not consume intoxicating
    liquor.
  • Any licensed child care facility or licensed
    assisted living home for the elderly or for the mentally or
    physically disabled, if the facility is other than a
    (18.65.755 private residence (REVISED)
  • Within a courtroom or office of the Alaska Court
    System, or within a courthouse that is occupied only by the
    Alaska Court System and other Justice-related agencies.
  • Within a domestic violence or sexual assault
    shelter that receives funding from the state.
  • Within another person's residence, unless the
    person carrying the firearm has first obtained the express
    permission of an adult residing there to bring the firearm
    into the residence. Now( 11.65.755)
Alabama has only picket lines off limits, and then only under certain specific circumstances. You do need a license to openly carry in a car, though.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I think Virginia is the best state for open carry, by far. In Virginia, you can open carry in a car (without a license), as well as establishments serving alcohol (without a license, and even if you have a beer or glass of wine, although I would never do so nor would I recommend it), so I'd think that means Virginia has both Alabama and Alaska beat. Of course, you also can open carry here in banks, libraries, at protests, etc. Additionally, you an open carry a handgun at 18 (although you have to be 21 to purchase). Until very recently anyone could conceal carry (with license) or open carry at the General Assembly, even while in session. You still can, although recent rule changes now require that you have a concealed carry permit to concealed or open carry in the General Assembly. Plus, I think there are far more regular open carriers in Virginia than anywhere else, and law enforcement (not withstanding occasional problems) is possilby the most educated about the legality of open carry here. You can open carry at school board meetings, local government meetings, public parks, heavily urbanized cities, etc etc etc....

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

You also can open carry (and conceal carry) on college campuses in Virginia, although colleges and universities can choose to forbid faculty, staff and students from doing so (and most do).

zoom6zoom

imported post

I think it's fair to say that it doesn't matter how friendly the state is towards OC is no one is choosing to exercise the freedom to do so. Remember, a right unused is a right lost.

Following the recent court decsion in Utah, hopefully we'll be able to apply some leverage on the University bans.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

I hear tales about New Hampshire alot.

Honestly though after reading here, Virginia is pretty damnBill of Rights friendly. And a WHOLE different world compared to my facist homestate of Maryland... who has lostthis tax payer forever.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I do believe the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is fairly decent on Open Carry - the Uniformed Firearms Act doesn't even mention it (except for Philadelphia).

Open Carry Off-Limits? Schools, court houses, state parks, state capitol building.

Open Carry Okay? Bars, stores, liquor stores, churches, public assemblies, colleges.

Carry accessible in a car? You need a Pa. LTCF (or any state's license/permit).

Gun-busters Signs? Have no legal standing.

VApatriot

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
I do believe the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is fairly decent on Open Carry - the Uniformed Firearms Act doesn't even mention it (except for Philadelphia).

Open Carry Off-Limits? Schools, court houses, state parks, state capitol building.

Open Carry Okay? Bars, stores, liquor stores, churches, public assemblies, colleges.

That's the beauty of Open Carry in Virginia,there is no reference to it at all in any of thestate laws. It is truly a right that we have, and not something that the government "gives" us the right to do.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

what about New Hampshire? The Free State project hs adopted that state as there target so I imagine thier gun laws are leniant.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I'm with Lonnie. You have to start with Gold Star states, starting with no permit required and statewide preemption, imo. Then how well is it really accepted in practice. Hell you can OC in Maryland if you have a carry permit but I guarantee the LE would jack you up in a heartbeat.

I will say things are pretty good here in Virginia:)
Good luck gettin' a carry permit in MD... LOL! Notgonna happenGI!

Resto Guy

imported post

hammer6 wrote:
california

I like your sense of humor!!

That aside, maybe it's time to leave N.C. and move back to Va. It sounds like things have changed alot since I moved away 25 years ago.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I would tend to say my home state of Montana is very open to OC. All the laws in the state codes pertain to CC when referring to where one can and/or cannot carry but nothing on the books says anything about restricting OC! I know there will be other opinions if someone were to ask our local law-makers, but I'm just going on what is said or rather not said in the state laws!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Statkowski wrote:

That's the beauty of Open Carry in Virginia,there is no reference to it at all in any of thestate laws. It is truly a right that we have, and not something that the government "gives" us the right to do.

Please keep in mind that a government, any government, cannot give you a right. What it does is give permission or privilege. Rights are be definition, natural.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The funny thing about carrying in Virginia is location. And this is what I mean.

The Northern Virginia area which technically ends at the base of Manassas (as best I recall), in practicality extends to roughly the Fredericksburg area. The demographics of this area are not typical of native Virginians by any stretch. In the closer in parts of NOVA, perhaps only around 20% are native to the area. And the fact that Washington, DC is just across the river makes the situation even more outside of Virginia. What this all means is the demographics are generally left-leaning, urban-oriented, and more cosmopolitan in nature and prone to all of the trappings of such.

Yet when OC'ing in these areas, for some strange reason, nothing happens. No screams, blatant stares, cries for police, grabbing of kids and running away... none of it. Part of the reason could be that these people probably believe that the OC'er is either an off-duty LEO or maybe a government agent of some kind. But it may also have to do with the fact that this is Virginia and perhaps these people are more accepting of Virginia ways than we think.

Regardless, OC'ing in Virginia seems to be as natural and normal as one could imagine. Yes there have been some incidents. And yes, there are a few localities where LEOs have broken the law (the Tidewater specifically). But all in all, it is just not a problem here.

Marco

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The demographics of this area are not typical of native Virginians by any stretch. In the closer in parts of NOVA, perhaps only around 20% are native to the area.
I didn't think there where that many Native Americans in this area.
All others are foreign invaders (some not by chose)with different ethnic backgrounds.

[line]
VT, VA, NV, UT, AK, AZ, all come to mind (no particular order, except for VT being #1)