• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why not to leave your gun in the car.

Do you leave your gun locked in the car?

• Total voters

possumboy

imported post

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/news.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2006-07-11-0046.html

Links to a story on three (3) teens that were stealing from cars. I don't know if it was a smash and grap, or these people just left thier cars unlocked.

Anyway, it shows that locking your gun in the car is not safe. The businesses that request that, are just setting themselves up to be robbed with that gun. I also consider it irresponsible of the gun owner.

rebfan

imported post

A friends gun was stolen from his car last year when he was on business in Richmond. They picked the lock on the safe he had it in.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rebfan wrote:
A friends gun was stolen from his car last year when he was on business in Richmond. They picked the lock on the safe he had it in.

Lock picking is not anywhere near as easy in practice as it is on TV.

Not many casual criminals have that skill.

possumboy

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
possumboy wrote:
I also consider it irresponsible of the gun owner.
So, if you are going somewhere you cant carry, you don't carry at all(to and from)?

About the only place I cannot carry is work, and I leave it at home. There is a lot that I do not get to do now that I carry that I used to do. I have found alternatives.

I also don't want to give business to those places that would restrict my carry.

robbiev427

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
possumboy wrote:
I also consider it irresponsible of the gun owner.
So, if you are going somewhere you cant carry, you don't carry at all(to and from)?
In my opinion, ifyou (generic you)have to travel to places whereyou can't carry, butwant to have the gun withyou to and from, you should use some sort of lock box or small safe. Even though it's a not fool-proof, it's a much better alternative than leaving the gun in the glove box or under the seat.

kw5kw

imported post

ilbob wrote:
rebfan wrote:

Lock picking is not anywhere near as easy in practice as it is on TV.

Not many casual criminals have that skill.

Yeah, I tried it once, I worked at an auto dealer and they wanted to see if we could pick locks to the doors and to the ignition in order to reposess vehicles, so we bought a set of picks (legally) and took some instructions, however ittook me days to pick a simple master(R) lock. I never got the hang of car doors/ignition! This was 30 years ago, and when I see this on television that somebody just inserts pick and 5 seconds later they got the lock, nah... doesn't happen that fast!

novaccw

imported post

I rarely leave my gun locked in the car. When I do, I unload it and store the magazine seperately (don't want to make it too easy for criminals). I have left it in the car during church services.

possumboy

imported post

I will admit, that there are few places I CC so I will not be asked to "leave it in the car."

And by locked, I meant just locked in the car or truck. Not in a mounted safe or other securing device.

I do not leave my house without locking my gun that I am not carrying in the safe.

Did NOT want to upset anyone.

(I have no clue why I left out the not.)

Opie

imported post

hlh wrote:
I use this when I can't take the gun with me: http://www.gunvault.com/

Hope the lock is not pickable.

Hlh, how do you like your gunvault? I was looking at them on the internet the other day with the intention of finding something to keep next to the bed at night. They seemed pretty handy.

Also, does anyone know of any small gun safes that might be mounted in a truck? I have one of those shelves that mount in the sun visor holes, and it has enough room for a small box that might hold a J-frame or other compact pistol, if I can find a safe that is small enough. It would bepretty much out of sight up there unless you werereally looking, but quick to get to in an emergency. -Opie

Bubba Ron

imported post

We have two Gun Vaults, one in the bedroom and one in our RV. They are built well and provide quick access - until the batteries go dead - they you have to find the key to open them. It would be great if they would use AC with a battery backup system, then you would not have to worry about IF they will open when you need your handgun NOW.

possumboy

imported post

I just bought one of these today. I have the large for my house and will look at the mini for the car if I'm happy with it. I like the cable idea, but it does seem the weak link. Bolt cutters could make short work of it.

The documentation say the batteries are good for 1 year.

TEX1N

imported post

possumboy wrote:
The businesses that request that, are just setting themselves up to be robbed with that gun. I also consider it irresponsible of the gun owner.
I don't see how you can say that it is irresponsible for agun owner to leave his/her gun locked in their car because a thief could steal it. Almost every day I visit a place where I can't carry (whether it be legal or just unpractical: i.e. the gym, my college where I could get expelled if I carry, etc), and in those situations Ialways leave my gun in the car.

I find it backwards that you would carry a handgun for self-defense against a criminal, but then you will leave your gun at home (rather than in your car), because the same criminal might steal it. Therefore, the fear of crime is essentially preventing you from having the means to protect yourself against that same crime.

That being said; I do have a safe in my car and if my gun is not in it, then it's in another very inconspicuous place in my car. Just my thoughts – TEX1N

possumboy

imported post

I did correct myself about the safe. I meant just locked inthe car, with the car doors being the only lock you have on the gun. I've installed one now and do carry go to places I didn't before.

I do take mine to the gym, local parks. I have developed ways to carry.

I do not carry to work because 95% of my work is in DC or at a gov't (federal) installation.