• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"A School Is No Place For A Gun" says Columbine killer

44Brent

imported post

JULY 7--One of the Columbine High School gunmen prepared a report on the danger of guns in schools more than a year before carrying out a deadly attack on teachers and fellow students. Eric Harris's December 1997 school report was included in more than 900 pages of Columbine-related documents released yesterday by Colorado investigators. In grading the Harris report, a copy of which you'll find below, a Columbine teacher judged it "thorough & logical" and gave the paper a 69 out of 75. Noting that, "a school is no place for a gun," Harris concluded that the use of metal detectors and an increased police presence "are a great start to fight against guns in school." On April 20, 1999, Harris and Dylan Klebold--armed with shotguns and semiautomatic weapons--murdered 12 classmates and a teacher before killing themselves. (5 pages)

Read the paper at www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0707061columbine1.html

okboomer

I guess they proved that criminal intent is not swayed by laws against gun violence.

The problem is that orgs like the Brady bunch can and will use this to advocate for a comeplete gun ban.

1245A Defender

Wow!!!

1st. off,,, How did this single original post languish for 5 YEARS before someone replied???

the report, written 1 1/2 years prior, was true and correct in one aspect,
a strong police presence would have come in very handy on the day of the shooting!

Kirbinator

I dunno, I was a student once, and we rather enjoyed pushing the teacher's buttons.

Of course, that also implies a lack of respect... but when you're the smartest kid in the room and the teacher is simply using the stick and not the carrot... it's easy to lose respect for a teacher.

OTOH, I know that nepotism and other evils were present at my high school. My middle had no need for arms; both principals had the respect of the students.

I'd wager that had my high school principal been more like my middle school principal, there would have been less problems. Give you one guess as to which one was an Algebra teacher and which one was a Coach and History teacher.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What would be better is if all the school staff were armed.

I disagree. I think it would be better if everyone who wanted to be armed was allowed to be armed.

Some people, teachers included, have tempers to such an extent that going armed would be more of a liability. However, they're the ones who should make that choice.

There are reasons why most people in the U.S. do not go armed. I think most of them who refrain intuitively know that arms are not for them.

I suspect it's simply upbringing, as I've known a lot of folks who carry were simply exposed to it early on. For them it's as natural as frying bacon in a cast iron skillet.

okboomer

I agree, since ... there are way too many folks that I have met that have absolutely no self-control and were raised that way.

MilProGuy

JULY 7--One of the Columbine High School gunmen prepared a report on the danger of guns in schools more than a year before carrying out a deadly attack on teachers and fellow students. Eric Harris's December 1997 school report was included in more than 900 pages of Columbine-related documents released yesterday by Colorado investigators. In grading the Harris report, a copy of which you'll find below, a Columbine teacher judged it "thorough & logical" and gave the paper a 69 out of 75. Noting that, "a school is no place for a gun," Harris concluded that the use of metal detectors and an increased police presence "are a great start to fight against guns in school." On April 20, 1999, Harris and Dylan Klebold--armed with shotguns and semiautomatic weapons--murdered 12 classmates and a teacher before killing themselves. (5 pages)

Read the paper at www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0707061columbine1.html

"White man speaks with forked tongue."