• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help create a "Best Practices Guide" (holsters - dress - manners) for open carry

VApatriot

imported post

Hahaha,

Did y'all see the look on the face of that guy in the background? It seems to be another case of a father and husband who just realized that he is a pathetic, helpless man.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

My permit had been issued that morning, but I did not know that. I received the letter two days after my experience with the officer. In fact, I told the officer I was in the process of obtaining a CHP, and he said "what's that?" in a way that indicated to me that he genuinely didn't know what a CHP is... which I found odd. Because I didn't have a CHP on me, after my initial statement "That's my personal business, sir" all I said was "Virginia is an open carry state" - then calmly repeated that several times as he repeatedly asked "why are you carrying that" (pointing to my gun).

Generally, I think cooperation and a desire to inform and educate is the best route. Most LEO's are good guys, who are willing to work with people who are willing to work with them. Once a situation deteriates to the point where you are in custody (as mine did within 60 seconds), then you are better off saying very little. But before that, a calm effort to educate is probably best, as opposed to asserting ones rights (which is a perfectly legitimate choice for those so inclined, it's just not my style).

XD Owner

imported post

Do you have x-ray vision? Maybe he was concealed carrying, ha, ha! I don't know if he was or not.

Let's not disparage people if they do not carry openly. Hopefully I set a good example that non-gun carriers (including women) will decide to emulate. In fact, I think more women should carry for their own self-defense. Us good guys cannot protect all of them!

jimwyant

imported post

XD Owner: You make a good point, and I agree wholeheartedly with the intent of your post. It is fun to poke at others from time to time, though, as long as it is done so in an appropriate manner. I'm sure VApatriot meant no malice by his comment, and personally, I thought it was amusing. I believe that all of us here are professional enough to never intentionally present a negative attitude to the public. We may, however have an occasional laugh at the expense of some when they aren't around.

VApatriot

imported post

XD Owner wrote:
Do you have x-ray vision? Maybe he was concealed carrying, ha, ha! I don't know if he was or not.

Let's not disparage people if they do not carry openly. Hopefully I set a good example that non-gun carriers (including women) will decide to emulate. In fact, I think more women should carry for their own self-defense. Us good guys cannot protect all of them!
Well said.

The guy just seems to havesuch a strange look on his face.

Anubis

imported post

the photo...

Maybe the seated guy didn't like the fact that he was being photographed by a stranger; maybe he didn't like being photographed with a spoon in his mouth; maybe he was a concealed-carry chauvinist who thinks open carry is not "tactical". The possibilities are endless.

the hand-shake from earlier in the thread...

I have read that the origin of shaking hands using the right hand was a demonstration that the participants were unarmed, or at least not holding a weapon in the normal weapon-hand. That's how the word "sinister" achieved negative connotations--the word only meant "left" inclassicalLatin as "dexter" meant "right". A left-handed person could pretend to be friendly,shake hands, seize the weapon-hand of the other guy, and treacherously attack with the left. I'm even more devious; I do most things right-hand, but prefer shooting left-hand. :)

the original post in the thread: what to say...

Lawyers recommend saying nothing, police recommend answering their questions. I agree with SicSemper Tyrannis that answering initial questions is the most practical way to get through the encounter andto say no more if Mirandized.

I am intrigued with open carry, legal here, but so far I have only concealed. I would apply my approach (on what to say)to a LEO encounter, whether starting from open or concealed carry.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Anubis - Welcome. I saw a couple of your posts and wanted to catch up and say HI! If I may ask, what state? Not that it really matters to us Virginians, just wondering. Anyway, glad to see you here.
Double R
"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

Anubis

imported post

Thanks. I like this forum. I have viewed some of the threads for a while and finally was motivated to post.

I live in Colorado. I have put that in my profile, but it hasn't shown up at the left of my posts in threads. [edit: until this post]

We've been shall-issue for about 3 years now. The firearmslaws (outside of Denver) are excellent. Highlights include legal open carry, and loaded handguns can be carried in the car (again outside Denver) without any permit.