• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Eastern OR

norahc

imported post

I recently travelled round trip from the Tri-Cities in Washington to Las Vegas. Since I wasn't valid to carry concealed in NV (yet) I decided to open carry the entire trip.

My trip route took me down I-82 and I-84 and I had to stop a couple of times for food and gas both ways. Nobody even looked twice at me while I was carrying.

I guess it really does depend upon what part of the state you are in.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Good report. As we understand it, OR is an open carry state but with preemption only for permit holders - therefore, we need somebody to figure out what localities ban iopen carry in OR so we can document this for travelers.

40G27

imported post

Open carry is only prohibited in Portland and Beaverton unless you possess valid CHL. Even though, it is not recommended.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Everybody agree with this - only Portland and Beaverton?

John - I recommend an update to the OR page summary as follows - "Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers permit holders. At this time, it is believed, but not confirmed, that only the cities of only Portland and Beaverton ban gun carry by non-permit holders."

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

OK, good work, 2d draft:

"Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, Oregon's preemption statute apparently allows localities to ban open carry by non-permit holders. At this time, it is believed, but not confirmed, that only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, & Salem ban gun carry by non-permit holders."

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Add more cities to the list to the list:

City of Tigard Ordinance 7.32.125

City of Oregon City Code 9.24.020

City of Dallas Code 5.104, Specific to City Parks

City of Independence Code 9.24.1, pre-1995 ordinance that affects various public places, that does not exempt CHL holders, go to page 95 of the .pdf file

With the City of Dallas, I came across a rather strange animal of only prohibiting parks and not other "public places". Keep in mind that the cities and counties under ORS 166.173 have the ability to ban carrying of loaded firearms in "public places" as defined by ORS 161.015. Public Places are defined in that statute as:

(10) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation.

I've seen emails sent to me saying that "This city is violating preemption, they're banning loaded firearms from their city parks". Technically, they are not violating unless they enforce it against concealed handgun license holders or other persons exempted under ORS 166.173(3). The MAXIMUM that a city or county may ban is ALL public places. They can pick and choose to ban only certain public places, as ORS 166.173 is supposed to be a ceiling that they cannot cross.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Add more cities to the list to the list:

City of Tigard Ordinance 7.32.125

City of Oregon City Code 9.24.020

City of Dallas Code 5.104, Specific to City Parks

City of Independence Code 9.24.1, pre-1995 ordinance that affects various public places, that does not exempt CHL holders, go to page 95 of the .pdf file

With the City of Dallas, I came across a rather strange animal of only prohibiting parks and not other "public places". Keep in mind that the cities and counties under ORS 166.173 have the ability to ban carrying of loaded firearms in "public places" as defined by ORS 161.015. Public Places are defined in that statute as:

(10) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation.

I've seen emails sent to me saying that "This city is violating preemption, they're banning loaded firearms from their city parks". Technically, they are not violating unless they enforce it against concealed handgun license holders or other persons exempted under ORS 166.173(3). The MAXIMUM that a city or county may ban is ALL public places. They can pick and choose to ban only certain public places, as ORS 166.173 is supposed to be a ceiling that they cannot cross.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/923.html