• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open and Conceal carry from Pa to VA

Bolt06

imported post

I don't seem to understand the law properly. opencarry.org has VA as a golden open carry state. but I have a PA conceal carry permit which doesn't have the reciprocity with VA for concealed carry.so does that mean that I can open carry only? or is it that I am wrong on both counts?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

We don't really track concealed carry permits here at OpenCarry.org except to the extent that they sometimes affect open carry rights.

You apparently hold a "License to Carry Firearms" from PA. VA does not accept this license for any purpose at this time.

Our color coding of states reflects the level of open carry rights in a state.

Any legally present non-prohibited person 18 years of age or over can open carry in VA; that's the same rule for PA outside of vehicles and Philedelphia.

docwatson

imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
I don't seem to understand the law properly. opencarry.org has VA as a golden open carry state. but I have a PA conceal carry permit which doesn't have the reciprocity with VA for concealed carry.so does that mean that I can open carry only? or is it that I am wrong on both counts?

My only issue with that trip (and I make it myself but in the other direction) is travelling through the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland and Delaware on my way back to sanity.

Apply for an out of state permit in Virginia. I will be driving to Doylestown in the next month to apply for my PA permit and expect no difficulties.