• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orlando Set to Shatter Homicide Record

jimwyant

imported post

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20060721/D8J0JRU82.html

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]This isn't an OC-related story, and while the news isn't good, it isn't an extremely negative article when everything is considered in context. It does buck the crime rate trend in shall-issue states, though.

"Most of this year's slayings were committed with handguns."

I wish they hadn't volunteered this information, because the anti's are going to pull this fact out of context. Here are the next couple paragraphs that explain the source of the problem.

"Most victims were young black men who were involved with drugs or got killed by someone who was. ...
[/font]Police Chief Mike McCoy stressed that no tourists had been killed, and said most law-abiding citizens are not at risk. [font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]'If you're not selling drugs, if you don't house people selling drugs, if you don't have the proceeds of drugs in your home, then your chances of being involved in a homicide are pretty slim,' he said."

Sounds like the OPD narcotics unit needs to step up enforcement.
[/font]

molonlabetn

imported post

"Most victims were young black men who were involved with drugs or got killed by someone who was. ... Police Chief Mike McCoy stressed that no tourists had been killed, and said most law-abiding citizens are not at risk. [font=Verdana,Sans-serif]'If you're not selling drugs, if you don't house people selling drugs, if you don't have the proceeds of drugs in your home, then your chances of being involved in a homicide are pretty slim,' he said."[/font]

pourshot wrote:
Sounds like a self-cleaning gene pool.

Amen to that!

molonlabetn

starbuck

imported post

Basically the same here, but the press doesn't see it that way. When you look at who's killing who here, I am forced to ask "Where's the problem?".
If crackheads and drug dealers want to keep shooting each other, I say let them.