Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open carry styles

Post imported post

Curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I feel compelled to ask:

Does anyone who open carries, carry 'cowboy style'?

If so, why, if not, why not?

Post imported post

Not sure what 'cowboy style' is, specifically, but if you mean OWB Strong-side, then yes. My favorite holsters are Blackhawk CQC SERPA and Don Hume 721OT. I don't wear super-tight jeans, cowboy-hat, or boots.

That, or taped to my forehead...

molonlabetn

Post imported post

I suppose I more or less meant, dual holstered, that sort of thing (think of a movie cowboy).

Not really certain why, exactly this would seem important for me to know.

Post imported post

I may qualify for this. I have carried a Kimber 1911 on my left hip, and a Springfield XD-9 subcompact on my right hip.

Post imported post

It's not my "usual" carry, but I have, on more than one occasion, carried G20 right side and USP 45 Tactical left side. If I ever get around to buying another Alaskan, I'll get a LH holster for it and go true "cowboy style" (matching revolvers).

Post imported post

I often will carry both of my S&W M64s on my belt. I have a nice basketweave holster from El Paso Saddlery for my strongside(RH)and a matching belt. For the left hand side I have a Don Hume JIT belt slide that is a RH rig but works good for a crossdraw. I am getting a matching LH holster from El Paso for my birthday next month if I can butter up my wife enough.

By the way I do wear a cowboy hat and boots. The matching revolvers just make the look.

Post imported post

I'm a cowboy action shooter, and I basically dress in victorian (late 19th century) fashion pretty much all the time - I always said, if I lived in an open-carry state, I'd look like a gunslinger of yore, double-hung cartridge belts, single-action revolvers, etc.

Call me a geek, or call me foolish, I just thought that would be keen.

Post imported post

I think I detect a certain flavor of fantasy...And to a degree I can relate with the fascination with the old west and the rigs. It would be quite the conversation generator, but I'd lean towards something more practical myself. Strong side OWB holster- But who am I foolin'? I havent OC'd yet.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

Well, yeah, there's definitely some fantasy there - for one, I don't live in an open-carry state, and, unfortunately, Texas seems unlikely to become so any time too soon. As far as practicality goes - I can't, personally, see that it would be impractical, and it would be awfully convenient, for me.

Post imported post

doc.storm wrote:
    Well, yeah, there's definitely some fantasy there - for one, I don't live in an open-carry state, and, unfortunately, Texas seems unlikely to become so any time too soon. As far as practicality goes - I can't, personally, see that it would be impractical, and it would be awfully convenient, for me.
    Come visit us here in Virginia. Make your fantasy a reality.

Post imported post

I may just take you up on that.

Post imported post

I wouldn't say wearing two guns on your belt fulfills a fantasty, it is very prudent. They call it a New York reload, however since we are talking about two openly carried pistols, service sized guns I'll presume, I will call it a Dodge City reload.

Most people I know that have carried in this fashion usally carry revolvers. The second revolver is quicker to draw than reloading the first. However my best friend did carry two Glock 19's till I bought one of them. I may have to ask Santa for a another one so it won't be lonely.

Post imported post

Noithing to add to this thread, but I love that avatar doc.storm, or should I say Brother?

Post imported post

yes i carry 2 guns on my side one is a 22 and the other is a 9mm i carry both just in case one jams or i am in real need of two and besides i am a pettit chick people might think i am easily bullied and i live in a open carry state.

Post imported post

I like tactical thigh holsters. Mainly due to the fact that I wear t-shirts and don't tuck them in when dressed casually. If the shirt is covering the weapon, that would be a no-no. And you dont have to bend your arm as much to draw it...

Post imported post

mercutio, Be aware you might draw some unwanted negative attention wearing a thigh rig.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Big Daddy I have to agree with you Brother. Doc does have a rather interesting Avitar.Hello from the Pacific Northwest. Jeff.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I have when hunting (even bird shooting) carried a colt single action clone (OC) in a cross draw rig as it is very comfortable and accessible. It leaves the house with me in that position and stays there until I get home. Could that be called "Doc Holiday carry?"
    CDA CWP - I was born in Nebraska, raised in Virginia and travel some, mostly south, west but never north to N.Y., N.J.,etc. Enjoy resting in my lodge and being warmed by the fire after a long trek in the woods.
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I use a Ted Blocker thumb-breakbelt-slide holster for OC, myself. Also have Ted Blocker tilted internal-spring double magazine pouch held up with a, you guessed it, Ted Blocker pistol belt. His showroom was local to me until recently, you see.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

Post imported post

What NOT to do:

Man arrested for concealed carry while nude.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2628444

Post imported post

doc,BD45,CPA,

I wonder if one of you would be willing to discuss something with me through email?

Post imported post

DJ TURNz, check your private messages!

Post imported post

I have carried a custom ordered USFA revolver – basically a high end version of the Single Action Army – in a custom made, tooled rig while driving through AZ and NM on vacation. Most of the time I was wearing jeans, boots,, and western shirt and hat. The pistol and rig are a really good looking set so it doesn’t look as “aggressive” as a modern auto does to most people.

Of course I had a number of other pistols in the car and/or close at hand depending on the state laws of the location. I figured that the peacemaker would be enough for close work or to shoot my way to an “upgrade” if the threat needed more gun.

Post imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
    Not sure what 'cowboy style' is, specifically, but if you mean OWB Strong-side, then yes. My favorite holsters are Blackhawk CQC SERPA and Don Hume 721OT. I don't wear super-tight jeans, cowboy-hat, or boots.

That, or taped to my forehead...

molonlabetn

Well...Fellow Arms Men...I have a Wonderful Story to tell You all.

On12/11/2006 @ about 5Pm MST my wife and I went in to Costco @ 106th So next to I-15.

My Outfit is Chippawah Boots, Wrangler Levi's, Wrangler Levi shirt, Light Brown Vest, Blue Scarf, Suit Coat and a Stetson on my head. Strapped to my hip under the Coat is an "old style" Vaquero 44mag in a Triple K Rooster Cogburn Rig - Deluxe, with 25 44mag caliber rounds shining to the world.

After walking around for a while I got warm and took of my Coat and put it in the cart. We walked around looking at X-mas gifts and along the way we stopped plenty off Associates in the store when we had Questions. I even OPEN CARRIED thru check-out.

On the way out we decided to have a Polish and an Ice-cream, and while waiting for the food we were shooting the Breeze ( NO PUN INTENDED )with a Supervisior and he could absolutely NOT miss that a 44 was strapped to my hip.

while we were eating a older couple came by on the way out and stopped by our table and said "-I don't think You get this alot if at all. But THANK YOU for Carrying Open. THANK YOU for upholding OUR CONSTITIONAL RIGHT. We need more of that." I was caught off guard but Happy when I understood what he said. I said Thank You Very Much , and they went on their way.

HAPPY AND SATISFIED COSTCO "OPEN CARRY" CUSTOMER.

"With Great Power comes Great Responsibility"

P.S

I've done the same carry @ RC Wiley @ 3 different locations and ALL three LEO's just smiled @ me an let me on my way. The one LEO asked me "-is that thing for REAL" I said "-44mag would FEEL REAL to me " he said "-yes it would" and left me alone

D.S

Post imported post

I have two different holsters I use for either my Kimber 1911 or SW99 -- eithera Yacqui belt slide holster or a Fobus paddle holster on the strong side and a double mag carrier on the support side next to my cell phone. As I've said before, those of us who choose to OC should review and refresh our sidearm retention combatives skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast